Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is it possible to housebreak a five year old dog

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 21st, 2005, 10:05 PM
http://www.spca.bc.ca/SunshineCoast/Dog-Georgie.htm

This dog seems sweet. I am still interested in the English Cocker but this dog seems pretty nice accept for his peeing problem. IS it possible to house break him or would he be to set in his ways.

tenderfoot
May 21st, 2005, 11:05 PM
You need to treat him like a tiny puppy and start from scratch. Of course you are overcoming 5 years of bad habits - but its never to late to teach new ones. If he respects the house as your territory and you teach him with kindness and consistency then he should get it. You can also use a belly-band for the times you can't watch him just to make sure he doesn't mark anything that might tempt him to remark it later.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 22nd, 2005, 09:47 AM
Tenderfoot I just thought of something regarding house breaking Georgie. Its a bit of a crazy idea but wondering what you think of it. You mentioned putting a belly band on her which I assume is some kind of doggy diaper. Well what about a kids pullup she could borrow one of my sons, it may just fit over her little tail. Theres little stars on them that start to dissapear when they start to get wet. I could keep an eye on her and when I notice them starting to fade rush her outside let her do her thing and shower her with praise. The pullup should rip off pretty quick as its only velcro. I know it is off the wall and not sure if Georgie would like to wear a pullup I could at least get her the Dora ones as she is a girl.

:crazy:

Cactus Flower
May 22nd, 2005, 12:42 PM
Yes, yes, yes! You can potty train an adult dog. I have never had a puppy. Every dog I ever had was adopted as an adult (2 years old being the youngest).

Maybe I've been exceptionally lucky, but my method has always worked well for me. When I get a dog, I tether them to me for at least the first week that I have them. I find that this creates a wonderful bond (pardon the pun), puts the dog in the habit of paying attention to me instead of distractions, AND makes it simple for me to notice when they have to go potty.

They will either get restless when they have to go, start sniffing the floor, whine, or stand and try to "circle". That's when we go outside for a potty break. I always say "go potty, good girl!!" repeatedly as they are actually pottying, and lots of petting/praise afterwards. They catch on very quickly.

If they try to squat in the house after being let off of the tether/leash, a solid CLAP of the hands and a firm "NO" can startle them out of beginning- whisk the dog outside and praise praise praise again for pottying outside.

I've read so much about potty training a puppy on here, and I suspect that adult dogs can actually be easier to train than the pups. Maybe they are smarter, because they are all grown up already? I don't know. But my experience has been that potty training is very easy with adult dogs.

Hope this helps!

Lucky Rescue
May 22nd, 2005, 01:44 PM
Tenderfoot suggested the belly band because in your first post, you referred to the dog as "He". Bellybands are only for males who mark territory indoors.

I wouldn't use any diaper things. You need to prevent her from peeing in the house at all and I agree with Tenderfoot to treat her like an unhousebroken puppy. Taken out often, praised for peeing outside, and confined or tied to you when you can't watch her.

Make sure you are willing to work on this. This poor dog has been dumped now at least twice and should never be again.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 22nd, 2005, 02:11 PM
My apologies for the sex mix up. If I was home with the dog all day I would definately put the time into finish house breaking her. The problem now is I am working fulltime and my husband is home with the kids all day. So he would have to take responisbility for her when I am not home, he or I for that matter are not experienced at house breaking. It also says that Georgie is afraid of men so I don't know how she would react being tethered to my husband all day. I would have to see if hubby would be willing to take on this task when I am not home. I guess we will have to think about this one.

tenderfoot
May 22nd, 2005, 07:20 PM
It would be great for Georgie to be tied to your hubby all day - time to get over being nervous with men. Once he proves to her that he is trustworthy, she can start having more confidence with other men.
Don't think a diaper will replace potty training. You still need to do the work to teach her. Just thinking that you don't have time isn't good enough (sorry), you took this girl in and she needs to be taught - otherwise we will be hearing from you in 6 months saying the carpets are ruined and she is being rehomed once again. I don't mean to be harsh - I just want to let you know that this is do-able (is that a word?) and as Cactus Flower said perhaps she will pick up on the new rules even faster because she is older.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 22nd, 2005, 07:51 PM
Just thinking that you don't have time isn't good enough (sorry), you took this girl in and she needs to be taught - otherwise we will be hearing from you in 6 months saying the carpets are ruined and she is being rehomed once again.

Actually I haven't adopted her. I just wanted to come on here and ask some questions about the house breaking and get some advice. I have emailed the shelter about her and will give them a call on Tuesday or Wednesday to get some more info on her and see if she is still available. It sounds like she is partially house trained and will go out when you ask her to go potty but will not ask to go out. I just wonder why at 5 she has this problem. I am going to talk to the shelter before we make any decisions about Georgie.

tenderfoot
May 23rd, 2005, 09:43 AM
My apologies.
It is great that you are taking the time to really get a grip on the situation before you do anything.
She might have come from a very busy household - where they just didn't manage her well or from an older person who just wasn't aware enough to notice her signals - or any combination of the two. She just may not have had the attetnion she needed or the training to really teach her. It makes me wonder who would have a dog for so long and still be able to let her go.
I am impressed that you are taking the time to investigate your options and the reality of taking her on ahead of time. More people should do that.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 23rd, 2005, 10:45 AM
Apology accepted. I don't think we will end up getting Georgie. I feel that I have learned enough on here to finish up Georgies house breaking, but it doesn't seem that my husband is quite on board quite yet and it wouldn't be fair to anyone one to put Georgie in this enviornment especially with me starting a new fulltime job. Both my husband and I are reading up on different breeds and mixed breeds and continously checking the web for suitable rescues. SO far my favorite is the English Cocker my hubby has agreed to look at them with me but admits to me their not his favorite but says he may feel differently once he meets them. He is actually the type to fall in love with the dog not the breed. My hubby does like dogs and will go to the shelter on his own just to visit them but is not ready to get one just yet. Where as I would be ready if the right one came along. We have seen a few that we have really liked but ended up turning them down after doing some research and finding they would just not be the right dog for us. Once hubby is ready for a dog he will be willing to put the time in to help in the training.

tenderfoot
May 23rd, 2005, 12:10 PM
Brilliant!
I am so proud that you are able to make a balanced and educated decision. The right dog will show up at the right time and it is sooooo important that your hubby be fully on board or it can cause major trouble between you.
Good luck and keep in touch.

JessXx
June 5th, 2005, 01:03 AM
:rolleyes: you can't teach old dogs new tricks...
ISnt that what they say???
Well I know for sure that thats a myth.. don't worry, treat him like a puppy, as if your starting from day one... and it should be easy. YES you can train him... :) :highfive: good luck

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 5th, 2005, 09:22 AM
Hi JEssX,
We didn't end up getting Georgie, but we have committed to getting an English Cocker Spaniel. We are going through the whole housebreaking issue again right now before we decide on an adult or puppy. One breeder said it wasn't as hard as I am anticipating and most pups will go through the night if you cut off there water at 8pm. I think I will post this on another thread.

Eleni
June 5th, 2005, 09:33 AM
Sam gets his last drink at 7 pm when the kids go to bed and i still wake with him at 1-2 am so he can have a quick pee.

hes 6 months old.

counting on the pup not having to pee at night if you pull up its water at a certain time, could dissapoint.

if you get a pup be prepared to ahve to take it outside at night

that way at least your prepared for worst case scenario

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 5th, 2005, 09:55 AM
thanks you might want read my next link in the training session, adult or puppy I believe it is titled.

Eleni
June 5th, 2005, 10:01 AM
yeah I *just* replied to it hehe

dualing posts :P

Eleni