Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Got my new Golden!!! Few questions!

Roach9
May 21st, 2005, 10:51 PM
Hey there, we got it today. IT's SO cute, I don't have any pics yet but I'll get on it. Anyways. She's very hyper, yet very timid. Good mix. :)

Now, we put her in her crate, went upstairs and she was crying and barking beyond belief so I rubbed her stomach and she fell asleep and she's sleeping now. But what happens if this happens and I can't get her to sleep? Ignore it, or what do I do? I don't want to make her scared to go in her crate, she has actually played with her toys in the crate the most and she seems to like it. I'd like it, we put pillows and blankets all over it.

So far we're 4/5.

She pee'd once a little bit on the floor but she took a #2 outside once, and 3 times she went 1 outside. So I guess that's pretty good. I got her to come when I clap my hands and call her name (Maggie) and I figure I'll slowly get her to start doing other tricks.

She's great and pics will be posted soon. :)

Bearsmom
May 21st, 2005, 11:21 PM
Now, we put her in her crate, went upstairs and she was crying and barking beyond belief so I rubbed her stomach and she fell asleep and she's sleeping now. But what happens if this happens and I can't get her to sleep? Ignore it, or what do I do? I don't want to make her scared to go in her crate, she has actually played with her toys in the crate the most and she seems to like it. I'd like it, we put pillows and blankets all over it.

:)

Congratulations on your new addition! When we got Kaos, and it was time to sleep, we put a few toys in his crate, with a warm fuzzy blanket, we also put two water bottles filled with hot water between the blanket and bottom of the crate, and a wind up clock between the blanket and bottom of the crate (clock apparently simulated mom's heartbeat), it worked like a charm. We also left the crate door open for him so he could go in it when he pleased.

How old is your pup?

Roach9
May 21st, 2005, 11:31 PM
She's 7 weeks.

Bearsmom
May 21st, 2005, 11:35 PM
Try that with the water bottles/ticking clock, it will help. There are others on here who have tonnes of advice for you.

Prin
May 21st, 2005, 11:40 PM
Could help because pups are supposed to leave the litter around 8 weeks, so it may be early for this pup.

Just be sure you socialize her a ton in the first few months. Like Stanley Coren says, a dog should meet 200 people and go to 50 different places within the first year of life to ensure it will be properly social. :)

Good luck. :)

Roach9
May 22nd, 2005, 10:36 PM
Ok, she's in her crate and she's BALLING. She isn't crying to go pee or poo, she's just crying. I'm trying to ignore it but it's really sad to me. What should I do?

Safyre
May 22nd, 2005, 10:41 PM
What I did to crate train Justice was, put her crate directly beside my bed, and every time she cried, i'd put my fingers through the wires on the door so she could lick them, she would calm down.
Do you have the crate in your bedroom? She needs to feel like she is part of the pack...

kandy
May 23rd, 2005, 11:34 AM
I've never crate trained any of my animals - but I know that alot of folks here swear by it. Don't have any advice on the crate training - just wanted to say welcome to your new addition! Hope to see pix soon!

doggy lover
May 25th, 2005, 02:48 PM
Tucker was the first dog I had crate trained and he had no problem. We put him in with a hot water bottle wraped up in a towel and a ticking clock. He never cried or went tolit in his crate. We would here him whine about 8 am and then we would get up and take him out. He was a perfect :angel: in that case. Just stick it out its like a baby that doesn't want to sleep in its crib, I had two of those. It will stop crying sooner or later, just make sure that it is not wanting for anything. Good luck

nymph
May 25th, 2005, 04:13 PM
I used a similar method as what Safyre did with Justice on my pup Diego: instead of a crate, I put him in a laundry basket, also right beside my bed, so every time he cried, I'd pet him and give him my hand to sniff. The laundry basket is padded with my dirty sweater, a stuffed animal and a ticking clock were also part of the basket bed.