Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

home remedies

Eleni
May 21st, 2005, 03:00 PM
does vanilla extract really work to take the sting out of burns??

I just burnt my hand spilling hot soup. Im trying it in vain hehe

no blisters or nothing just hurts

yeah im slightly clutzy

Eleni

Iggette
May 21st, 2005, 03:33 PM
Never heard of that I always use a aloe vera stem from my plant

:( Time for a new plant tho they never seem to get big around this house, from one clutz to another....lol :D

badger
May 21st, 2005, 04:08 PM
White vinegar works for me.

Princesss04
May 23rd, 2005, 09:31 AM
My grandma use to use Aloe from one of her plants. One of the grandkids would get burnt and you would hear her pap go get some burn plant for me than she would rub that all over that burn area. :D So I buy Aloe in the squezze tubes that you keep in the fridge and use that. :D I would love to grow a plant but I kill artifical ones. LOL :D

raingirl
May 23rd, 2005, 09:35 AM
I just keep the area cold and numb and then there is no pain. Cold aloe gell is great. I wouldn't put anything else on it though.

Prin
May 23rd, 2005, 01:08 PM
I just use ice... But NEVER put ice in a store bag-- something in the composition reacts with the ice and can cause chemical burns. I prefer either a ziploc bag or just a damp facecloth with the ice in it.

Cactus Flower
May 23rd, 2005, 02:09 PM
"Store bag"? You mean like a plastic grocery bag? I've done this many times, with no ill effects. Why would plastic react with frozen water?

Prin, please clarify? I'm confused :confused: .

Sneaky2006
May 23rd, 2005, 02:50 PM
I don't see how that can be true... if it is, how can we keep putting frozen meat and other food in these bags from the store and not have any probs?

kandy
May 23rd, 2005, 03:05 PM
I've never heard that one either (plastic & ice reacting). As far as the aloe goes, they make an aloe that already has painkiller in it (it's actually for sunburn) but if you keep it in the fridge it is wonderful for burns! You should never put anything on a burn until you have iced it completely though. The ice actually stops the inner layers of the skin from continuing to burn. If you cover it, even with aloe, before the inner layers of skin have cooled, the burn will continue to do damage. You can also just run it under cold water for a while if you don't want to ice it.

levimh
May 23rd, 2005, 03:16 PM
Aloe plant works best, IMO. Also, I've heard running it under warm water is best. I wish I could remember why or where I heard it, but this source said cold/cool water does something...maybe creates a sore. Haha, i'm a bunch of help.

CyberKitten
May 23rd, 2005, 05:35 PM
I have to agree with Sneaky re the plastic oce cubes. That makes no chemical sense. I use aloe (my mom grows the stuff in Fla) or ice of any kind or special burn ointment. It depends on the burn. Baking soda is great in an emergency!!

twinmommy
May 23rd, 2005, 08:18 PM
Try some plain yogurt, I've used it on sunburns. It's wonderful, takes the sting out and is nice and cold. :thumbs up

Prin
May 24th, 2005, 12:34 AM
Sorry, I miswrote. I meant cold burns. I learned it in my Emergency Care of Athletic Injuries course as part of the Exercise Science program at Concordia (a CATA approved BSc program).

Using a plastic bag like the thin white ones you get groceries in for an ice pack causes the skin to drop to a temperature LOWER and faster than if you apply the ice directly to your skin without ice. Ziploc bags don't have the same effect.

If you wrap the ice pack in a towel (wet is better then dry) then you're ok. It's just if you put the ice pack directly on your skin, and the ice is in a shopping bag. It burns the skin.

They used to say if you put an ice cube directly on your skin, you'd get frostbite, but really you should have no problem, because after around 8 minutes, you get vasodilation and blood slowly goes to the area to warm it up.

Ice in a dry wrap causes the skin to go down to around 19.5 degrees C after 10 minutes. A wet wrap causes it to go down to 8.9 degrees, and ice directly on the skin causes it to go down to 3.2 degrees after 10 minutes. The rate of temperature decrease with a grocery bag is simply too high for the skin to handle.

Either believe me or not, but I trust my source, he's one of the pioneering Athletic Therapists in North America, and I'd rather put ice in a facecloth than in a grocery bag just to be sure.

Cactus Flower
May 24th, 2005, 01:05 AM
Ok, I don't believe you :p .

Putting ice directly on your skin is ok, but putting it in a bag first is dangerous......hmmmm.......

And I don't see the big difference between that and a ziplock bag.

I've used ice-in-bags many times, like I said. No burns here.

But to each their own!

Prin
May 24th, 2005, 01:21 AM
The composition of the plastic is probably very different between the Ziplocs and regular white bags..

Prin
May 24th, 2005, 10:59 PM
Hey, I just found something out today. I Contacted Ziploc to ask what kind of plastic was in their bag (it doesn't say on the box or the bags and I don't like looking for something and not finding it...)

Anyway, Ziploc is plastic resin 4. Grocery bags are resin 2. If you're storing meats and stuff in grocery bags, you might not want to-- resin 2 is permeable to gas. So those freezer burn gases can get right in there...It's also not a strong barrier for moisture, which in combination with the permeability of gas may have something to do with the possiblity of cold burn.

Ziploc bags, being resin 4, provide a barrier to moisture and are not permeable to gas. Better for freezer burn, I'd say.

Like I said though, you don't have to believe me, but my source is a good one.

If you want a plastic resin page, here:
http://americanplasticscouncil.org/s_apc/sec.asp?TRACKID=&CID=313&DID=931

Lizzie
May 25th, 2005, 07:25 AM
Noxema or cold creams will help soothe a burn--they provide cooling relief.