Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Can you help me decide?

Shamrock
May 21st, 2005, 02:07 PM
I have a few 'spring-themed" cat pics, these I took last night using some wildflowers I picked while out walking Percy. They are for an entry in a "for-fun-only photo contest".
I just cant decide which is the best shot. Can you offer your impartial views?
Thanks for any input! :)

Shamrock
May 21st, 2005, 02:09 PM
photo two, maybe a bit blurry?

CyberKitten
May 21st, 2005, 02:11 PM
I prefer the second by far!

Shamrock
May 21st, 2005, 02:11 PM
and.. last one of Miranda!

Rita
May 21st, 2005, 02:12 PM
I kinda like the second photo ... the flowers on the left are a bit blurry but kitty is clear and the bright purple flower in the foreground really stands out. Also love the look on kitty's face ..... "What the ...." ;)

Cactus Flower
May 21st, 2005, 02:12 PM
Number one, definitely. WOW you know how to take a good picture!

Shamrock
May 21st, 2005, 02:30 PM
oh thanks for your input, gals!
Digital cameras are great for kid and pet pics arent they? They dont usually care to pose.. ;)
I'm kind of partial to the second one, as is seems a bit more natural, less posed, but wonder if the slight blur detracts from it, though.

Ok, here is one more.. I promise this is the last ;) I have until tomorrow to decide amongst these.

kandy
May 21st, 2005, 02:39 PM
I like the first one and the last one. Although the second one is really good for the look on the cat's face, I like the other two better. Nice photos though - you have a very good eye! :thumbs up

kate_katlover
May 21st, 2005, 02:55 PM
I like the first pic all the multi colored flowers near a white cat really make the pic beautiful!! :thumbs up

chico2
May 21st, 2005, 04:08 PM
Without a doubt,the second one!!

Lissa
May 21st, 2005, 08:35 PM
I instantly fell in love with the second one but after trying to constructively examine it as a judge would do, I realized that the first one probably has more potential.

I am really interested in photography (although no expert by any means) and I think that (depending on the judge) they would fault you for having "stuff" (ie- not related to the picture, ex: fence, stairs) in the picture. You could try cropping that out of the 2nd picture but then part of the purple flower would be missing (I would chance though, I think ;) ).

So in the end, I decided that the first one had the best chance. However, I did really like the last one but the shadow does distract/detract a bit from your gorgeous cat and quality of the shot.

Since it is just a fun-photo-contest it probably doesn't matter which one you choose because they are quite beautiful (the 3rd one didn't catch my eye though, Miranda looks almost startled)

Just glancing at your shots, my favourites are the 2nd and last one! Not the best technically but that's what makes them so lovely!

Your cat is gorgeous - very easy to photograph, I'm sure!

Melissa

Good luck with the photo contest!

Princesss04
May 21st, 2005, 08:58 PM
I like all of them but if I have to pick one I say the first and the last! Okay Okay just one I know ummmm the first one still although I like the last one just as much! :D

Prin
May 21st, 2005, 10:09 PM
The first one is the best technically and the background has more color... The second is a bit blurry but the content is better... If you could take one of the kitty in the position of #2 with the background of #1, that would be the best in my opinion... Can you take more? These contests, even though "for fun" tend to be really competitive... :)

JDG
May 22nd, 2005, 07:48 AM
The first one is really awesome! That one is my personal fave (But poor little Miranda's foot is cut off - would that matter for the contest?)

For composition, I think the last one. . the good 'ol 'rule of thirds'

Good luck! Let us know what prize Miranda wins! :thumbs up

DogueLover
May 22nd, 2005, 11:08 AM
Just for practise for myself with the photo editing program I have. This helps to minimize the blur in the flowers.

Shamrock
May 22nd, 2005, 01:34 PM
Thanks so much for your opinions, I really appreciate this! :)
I'd only planned on submitting one of these photos - but which? My personal favourite is the second one, though the others are more vivid and colourful, technically better overall for clarity. I just couldnt decide.....

I noticed that some have submitted multiple pics of their cat -there isnt a "limit" of one. So, as each I like for different reasons, I've decided to offer all three -the first, second and last. They are the nicest of my little photo-shoot - so why not?
The only prize is the display of the cat's photo for a week as the winner. As I'd mentioned, strictly a fun competition.

I am really interested in photgraphy, how get to better pics of people, pets, and scenic shots. I never even noticed for example that I cut off Miranda's foot, lol. I need to develop a better eye for detail, but I have made some improvements overall.

One of my friend's husband is a nature and animal photographer - a pastime he pursues. His photos of the Maritimes and wildlife are just stunning!
Its a really fun hobby for sure.

Thanks again! :) :ca:

Safyre
May 22nd, 2005, 09:45 PM
I like the first and last the best, I'd love the second, if she was actually looking at the blue flower thats in focus in the pic.
None of the pics looks like she is looking at anything in the garden, so I'm not in LOVE with any of them, for simply that reason.
Great pics though, composition is great :)

Shamrock
May 28th, 2005, 02:25 PM
Just to give you an update on this - the results are in. :)
Miranda came in as first runner-up - with the second picture above. I was very pleased with this. That was my personal favourite of these, though technically it had some flaws.
As I'd mentioned - the forum members vote the winner, and the only prize is the photo featured for a week - so its strictly for fun.

I like photography very much though, but am sure an amateur at it. ;) Have lots to learn.

I just love the pictures section here SO much.
I never tire of admiring the lovely dog, cat and critter photos, each so unique and interesting.

Anway, thanks again for the input on these pics :crazy:

JDG
May 28th, 2005, 02:50 PM
Congrats Miranda - you little star!!!! :thumbs up :thumbs up

Shamrock, was it an online contest?? can you post the link for the site??

Prin
May 28th, 2005, 03:08 PM
YEY!!!! What forum is it? Are you allowed to post it so we can go see your masterpiece exhibited?

Shamrock
May 28th, 2005, 03:11 PM
Yes,..I didnt know if anyone would be interested, but here is the link if you would care to see all the pics.
http://persian-cats.com/contests/fffelines/2005/fff1.shtml

As this is a cat forum specifically for persian care and grooming,most of the cats featured are of the fluffy and flat-faced variety. ;)

Prin
May 28th, 2005, 03:28 PM
I think yours was better. Hey you also got 2 honorable mentions-- YEY!! (You're cat is the prettiest too... :) )

Shamrock
May 28th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Aww, thanks Prin - that is so sweet of you to say!
(think the honourable mentions were actually for the third and fourth place kitties, though ;)
Persian cats are not everyone's cup of tea, with their very distinctive look The Extreme persian and Traditional.( also known as Dollface) are the two categories they fall under, the extreme being the standard for today.

The silver persians ( Mirandas colour) are generally both the smallest and the least "extreme" of all the various persian colour categoreis.
It's all a matter of personal taste of course, but I prefer this look. To me, its just softer looking. I also believe it just naturally lessens problems with the runny eyes and breathing issues that these cats are known for - though this is an issue of some debate.