Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Does anyone work in a call centre

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 21st, 2005, 01:57 PM
I just got hired to work in a call centre. Does anyone work or has worked in one. Their employee up to a thousand people in the one I got hired at.They take incoming customer service calls for a cell phone company.
There is a 6 week training period , then I start fulltime there is an option to work part time which I will probably switch to by the time we get our dog or puppy.

CyberKitten
May 21st, 2005, 02:14 PM
I surely do not work in a call center - tho my phone rings constantly, lol - but I have heard it is pererable (in terms of the stress associated with the places) that working at an incoming call center is preferable. That makese sense to me - I would hate the outbound retail kind - trying to sell something. (You know, those ppl who irk you at mealtime!). Call centres operated by large organizations and govt are also considered better - better benefits and salary I think.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 21st, 2005, 02:46 PM
This one has full benifits plus bonuses there is some selling involved. ITs all incoming calls. I worked for a research company recently and had to do a phone survey I had to call about 1500 people, thank god I didn't have to ask for money, most people were actually polite I only had three people that got very irate the majority of people said no politely or even took the time to talk to me, som people didn't want to get off the phone.
After doing this job I now have a new respect for people calling to do surveys or telemarketing. I used to get really mad and say don't call me yadda. yadda , yadda, but now realize that there just people doing a job to support themselves and their family and don't deserve to be treated badly, if its a short survey I may do it, but I always decline politely now.

goldenblaze
May 22nd, 2005, 04:09 PM
I worked at a call center for over four years, outbound closed in Feb due to no call list in the U.S.A plus pending no call list in Canada downsizing from 4 offices to 2.

We were the company (You know, those ppl who irk you at mealtime!).. LOL..I worked days, I was gone home long before supper hours. You were all our customers before we called your house, names don't come from a phone book like some people think. I worked days, no weekend unless I wanted and made very good money. Not all call centers pay well, remember some people you call are great, some are not.

One thing I do wish to share ;) People that freaks out on the phone or yells at the phone, it really doesn't bother us on the other end. We have heard it enough that we now know how to laugh it off and carry on to next call. We were never rude and once a year we did a collection for one of the large cities HS in Ontario. It was amazing speaking to all the animal lovers each year.

researchbulls
Give this job time and you will enjoy it, there are millons of great people out there that you will speak to, some people would rather stay home with no job and collect welfare rather then be yelled at on the phone... I choose to be the person working. ( not to imply anyone here is on welfare)
My point training will seem long even sometimes boring but it's over soon and the learning begins. Good Luck, Have Fun. :)

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 22nd, 2005, 05:22 PM
I am actually looking forward to this job and really am planning to enjoy it. I start at 6am and have to drive 45 minutes to an hour to get there but I get off at two so I can spend the majority of the day with the kids and part of it with the hubby until he goes to work. I got my first speeding ticket after 25 years of driving on the way to the interview so was happy to get the job as thats the last thing I needed.

I refuse to go on welfare too, there are a lot of people here that are on it that are totally cabable of getting a job. One excuse that I hear all the time is I don't want to work so I can watch my kids grow up, well I would love to stay home with my kids full time but the reality is we need two incomes to support our lives style which is not extravagent by any means. There is actually a family in this town they have 11 kids and don't work neither the mom or dad. They get all the kids extra curricular activities for free, because they are low income and have so many kids. So it bugs me that people who stop at one or two kids because they know they can't afford any more have to pay for the ones that have 11 kids and don't want to work.

:mad:

CyberKitten
May 22nd, 2005, 05:29 PM
Actually, I am always polite when a call center calls - almost always (There was a telephone long distance fellow who was most impolite with me one time and I hung up on him). I know it is people trying to earn a living and it is actual a fairly big industry in NB. And while I have never worked in a call center, I have done volunteer stuff like getting out the vote on election day (I am sure you can figure out the party, lol) which means calling people - calling a marked voters' list since one is not going to remind your opposition to vote, hehheh). Our hospital also has a telethon and I have done a few shifts for that and am always amazed how willingly people give their credit card numbers and other personal info (Mind you, they are prob watching you take down the info on TV, lol). So I have an idea what's it like! Sort of!

Bearsmom
May 22nd, 2005, 05:51 PM
I'm never rude to people, but the persistent ones make me crazy. I once spent 1/2 an hour on the phone (half an hour of my life I'll never get back), with a carpet cleaning company. I wound up telling them we don't have any floors!

Schwinn
May 22nd, 2005, 06:27 PM
I work in a call centre, and I have to confess to dreading getting up each and every day, but that is due to knowing I want to do something else, and the way I have been treated lately...many other factors. The job itself is pretty low maintenance. If I didn't have a career goal in mind for a totally different career, I'd enjoy it a lot more.

Safyre
May 22nd, 2005, 07:36 PM
I worked at an INbound Company called Young America, if any of you have sent off rebates, that name might sound familiar. Worked there for almost 3 yrs, and they like seem to enjoy having a high turnover rate. At the time I was fired, a new manager had come in, and fired everyone there more than 2 years... founds 'justified' reasons for all. (ha) Now they only keep ppl around for 6 months are so so they never have to pay more than $8.00 per hour.

I now work at an Outbound call centre, working for Bell Canada. Two parts to my job, right now, we are calling to try to sell more features, and check to make sure you're saving money on Long Distance. in a few months, we will be calling JUST to save customers on Long Distance. Thats the time of year everyone looks forward to, no one hangs up when we are trying to save them money. And we only call ppl that are already customers of Bell Canada, so thats a good thing :) I make very good money.

I would never work in a Call Centre for my career, its just not what i want to do. But untill I get my business up and running, i gotta make money some how!

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 22nd, 2005, 07:58 PM
Well this one is in inbound call centre for a cell phone company in the US. They wont say which one until we start working but I think I know which one. I believe we take customer service calls and have to do some selling as well we get bonuses for the sales part. Theres benifits and the wage isn't bad. They say its a career job and there is lots of advancement opportunities I guess we will see. Will let you know how it goes.

goldenblaze
May 22nd, 2005, 08:12 PM
I'm never rude to people, but the persistent ones make me crazy. I once spent 1/2 an hour on the phone (half an hour of my life I'll never get back), with a carpet cleaning company. I wound up telling them we don't have any floors!

Just a little help on this matter, when you are called at "YOUR" home you have the right not to be called back if you ask them so. If you want to get off the phone don't say not interested that means they will keep calling you never said you don't want what they are selling. Tell the person you want off their master list and it does take time but once you have said master list you will be removed. :)
When you think the person is rude and keeep going, most the time they are trained for 2 no's only, but some go too far and keep going till you are really peed off.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 22nd, 2005, 08:41 PM
I had to call customers of a cheque cashing store to do a customer survey. Most of the numbers were wrong or disconnected. I called one women that was having a nervous breakdown on the phone, an older women who thought I was stealing her from her accounts, one guy that was drunk, one guy that freaked because I didn't actually work for the company. I never pushed them to do the Survey and many of them did complete it. The ones I hated were teh ones that stopped half way through and I had to do it again with another one.

There is one credit card company that calls all the time MBMA bank or something like that I have said no so many times they do drive me crazy.

Safyre
May 22nd, 2005, 09:26 PM
Alright, I want to give a bit of advice, to further on what GoldenBlaze was saying. I'm going to give you guys the info I was given when I started training with my curent job. First off, there is no Do Not Call list in Canada, as of yet.

You can request to have our number taken off the companies calling list.

"DO NOT CALL lists are to be maintained by the calling party and remain active for three years. If, during the call, the called party asks to be put on a do not call list, the do not call request must be processed without requiring the called party to do anything further. If the call is made by an agent calling on behalf of a client, the agent must ask the called party if it wishes to have its name on the agent’s do not call list, the client’s do not call list or both do not call lists. As of October 1st, 2004, the caller must give a unique registration number to each called party who request to be added to the do not call list. "

What that is saying is, say I work for AB Company, calling on behalf of Bell Canada. I have to ask you "Do you want to be removed from Bell Canada's calling list, or that of AB Company?".

Also you can register to have your telephone number(s) removed from marketing lists by mailing your request to the Canadian Marketing Association (CMA), P.O. Box 706, Don Mills, Ontario M3C 2T6, or faxing it to (416) 441-4062 or by completing the registration form at www.the-cma.org

The problem arises when consumers continue to do activities which puts thier phone number out there again.

Example: You go into a Department Store, and fill out a form for a 'contest' putting your telephone number. That puts your number back out on the market and they can start calling you again. You're request to be off the calling list is now ignored, as you gave your phone number again.
There is a HUGE seller of phone numbers, but seeing as it is a large company, I will not post the name. It is a video rental company, please PM if you would like the name.

Always read the small print on whether or not companies sell your phone number. That is the way that a lot of solictiors will receive your number.

Please read Telemarketing Fact Sheet (http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/INFO_SHT/T22.htm) for more information.

Other noteworthy excrps:
When an agent is calling on behalf of a client, the caller is required to identify himself/herself, the name of the agency as well as the client for whom the call is placed. This identification of the caller must be provided before any other communication and before asking for a specific individual.

In all cases, whether the called party requests it or not, the caller must provide a toll free telephone number where a representative of the company can be reached for questions or comments about the call. This must be provided before any other communication and before asking for an individual.

There are no calling hour restrictions on live voice calls.

Prin
May 22nd, 2005, 09:42 PM
Aren't the calls inbound? You don't really have to know about telemarketing if it's inbound.

I worked in a call center for about 7 months, before I went back to school. The pay is great, the customers call when they are crabby (nobody calls to say the service is good), and the bosses have the wrong priorities... I worked for a satellite dish company and I don't think I would do it again...

It gets easier and easier. People start to fit into categories so you know how to handle them and how to word your answers to make it quicker. I went from 8 minutes 30 sec per call to just under 4 minutes. Then the bosses started monitoring me because I was too fast. What can I say? Categories... Over 50 calls a day, you're bound to see a pattern after a couple of months.

The crabbiest customer I ever saw was my own uncle. :D If you can handle family, you can handle normal people.

At the end of the day, DON'T let them come home with you... :) Leave the stress and the "getting yelled at" at work. It's hard to do when every customer is b*tching about the service and how they're fed up and your boss then tells you you're not selling enough... Hard to have faith in a product you only see the bad side of. :rolleyes:

Good luck. Don't expect it to be a career, but once you've worked in one call center, you can move around-- banks, phone companies, cable, satellite, etc all have call centres and great pay... :)

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 22nd, 2005, 10:17 PM
Yes it is inbound but there is some selling as well. Apparentely its a crazy place to work and the higher ups realise the stress level so there is a games room and apparently that aptomosphere is bizzare the managers cruise the floor on scooters and do stuff to keep the morale up. Should be interesting.
Actually looking forward to starting my training on tuesday.

Bearsmom
May 22nd, 2005, 10:35 PM
Just a little help on this matter, when you are called at "YOUR" home you have the right not to be called back if you ask them so. If you want to get off the phone don't say not interested that means they will keep calling you never said you don't want what they are selling. Tell the person you want off their master list and it does take time but once you have said master list you will be removed. :)
When you think the person is rude and keeep going, most the time they are trained for 2 no's only, but some go too far and keep going till you are really peed off.

I've done this with several companies, including one that locks up your phone lines with their pre-recorded messages (your line does not clear until their recording is done), and yet, some persist. I've notified Bell Canada and the CMA about these companies, and the calls have somewhat stopped.

Last week, my husband got a telemarketer to hang up on him.

Safyre
May 22nd, 2005, 10:49 PM
Bearsmom - what you are speaking of are Automatic Dialling and Announcing Devices (ADADs)

ADADs are equipment that store and dial telephone numbers automatically. They may be used alone or with other equipment to deliver a pre-recorded or synthesized voice message to the telephone number called.

The use of ADADs to make unsolicited calls for the purpose of solicitation is <b>prohibited</B>, including calls made on behalf of a charity, radio station promotions, or calls referring the called party to a 900/976 service number. Solicitation is defined as the selling or promoting of a product or service, or the soliciting of money or money’s worth, whether directly or indirectly, and whether on behalf of another party.

You need to complain to the CRTC.
Bell Canada CANNOT stop those phone calls, Bell Canada is only a phone company, they have no power to stop nuisance calls for consumers.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 23rd, 2005, 01:08 AM
Actually I did read I believe in our local paper that if someone calls and no one is on the other line it could be an automated telemarketer trying to find out if you are home so they'll know the right to to call and make thier sales pitch. I heard when you get these calls your supposed to hit the ############# several times and it will mix up your number in their system or maybe register it as ############ and they wont be able to call you back. Don't know if its true or not but could be worth a try.

goldenblaze
May 23rd, 2005, 10:46 AM
Automatic Dialling and Announcing Devices (ADADs) we used at my office and when you answer the phone if there is no one there it does say who is calling and askes you to wait.
If you hear nothing, it's called dead air and we did not get the call so we hang up. When you answer the call it does take a couple of seconds for us to hear you on the other end, we don't hang up for any other reason. Nothing can take the numbers out of the system, only the person running the progran in each office...

No call list will be in Canada no doubt about it, for now that is all you can do. Tell people that call you to remove you from their list and stop giving cell numbers then freak cause people call them. So many people say your calling my cell, well you gave the number how else would this company have it.

Not all company buy names and numbers, think of things you buy at school for your kids ;) you give your information and bang you are getting a call. This is how my office got number you are a customer already.

Prin
May 23rd, 2005, 01:02 PM
I consider telemarketers a game.. If you can answer in such a way that they don't ask anymore questions, you win.

Like "Calling about cleaning apholstery?" "I have wood floors and wicker chairs."

"Calling about cleaning furnace ducts?" "we heat with a wood stove."

It's harder for other ones, but it's fun to try to get them gone in one answer. (Lemonade?)

goldenblaze
May 23rd, 2005, 01:23 PM
telemarketers a game but yet it is a billon $ industry. I agree with people I do not like most the calls but I get very few calls. I don't fill out cards everywhere I go and I don't give my number to companys that I know will be selling it.

Even after this no call list happens in Canada like the U.S.A. you will still have calls, if you are already a customer the company can and will continue to call until you tell them to take you off the list. You said your busy and can't talk, you WILL be called until you tell them to stop.

When I was laid off in Feb due to our office closed I looked around for work and I was shocked at how many call centers are really out there. In Ottawa alone there must be 50 different places I know of now. I'm not going back to a call center 4 1/2 years was enough for me but it was great for me at the time. The hours, money and like I said our customers were mostly nice people that wanted to talk to us.. I will tell you I worked for a company that sold Childrens Books, I'm sure you can guess who but I can't tell you who. :D

Writing4Fun
May 23rd, 2005, 01:27 PM
I'm usually pretty short with pushy salespeople, whether over the phone or in person. When living in Quebec, I was contacted by someone selling subscriptions to a French-language newspaper. I told them we read the English papers. They said, "You could use them for kindling in the fireplace." I replied that we have the free municipal papers for that. :p Gotta like a guy with a sense of humour. :D

Safyre
May 23rd, 2005, 02:04 PM
Prin - There is one going around hamilton right now... Moe's Carpet Cleaning ... if you sayt hat you hae wood floors, he'll ask about your furniture :)
I get consumer complants about that all day.
Hamilton is the worst area for nusiance calls in Ontario right now, we are hearding upwards of 20 - 30 per week in Hamilton and surrounding areas :( Bleh.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 23rd, 2005, 02:23 PM
Just to change the subject I find the people knocking on your trying to sell you don't need stuff their religion and use their kids so you feel guilted into buying something are worse. We get about two people a day knocking on our door wanting money usually at the same time the telemarketer calls !

Safyre
May 23rd, 2005, 02:26 PM
I don't get ppl at my door, because where I live, Soliciting is prhibitied, and there are signs stating so.
This lil old women from one particular religion kept comming back, again and again, even after I made her read the sign. my solution: I advised her I was calling the cops to have her arrested for trespassing. She left before I called.
I have yet to see her back at ANY apartments here.
Put a sign up on your door for no solicting, if they persist,you then have the right to have them arrested. the threat usually works well enough.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 23rd, 2005, 04:45 PM
Actually we had a sign that said do not disturb baby sleeping right by the doorbell do you think anyone paid attention to it no. Now I just look out my window if I dont know them I don't answer.

I start my training tommorow for the call center, I do hope I like it enough to stick it out for a while until maybe I will love it you knows. Just happy to be working though. :)

CyberKitten
May 23rd, 2005, 05:32 PM
Two ppl a day! Gosh, that seems excessive! I rarely get ppl - tho I live in a very quiet neighbourhood and am not home during the daytime and actually not always at night either, lol Sometimes Sat AM, children especially for girl guides and schools but I think that's changing as the world we live in gets more complex and dangerous. I recall selling gg cookies myself so I always buy at least one box. But more and more they sell in malls now.

As for religion, I used to argue with them but I just now inform them it would be a waste of their time and mine to talk about their religion.

Schwinn
May 23rd, 2005, 09:15 PM
MBNA used to call us a lot, even after I told them no, my wife is a bank manager, we're pretty much set. They send us a lot of junk mail, too. We tear it up and put it in the return envelope to mail back. That way, it costs them double. If enough people do that, they'll think twice. I usually don't if it's the first time I've seen the marketing (hey, gotta make a buck, right?), but if it's something I've gotten more than twice, I send it back.

I have Citibank constantly sending me offers for loans, but they won't put a return envelope in. There was another company kept calling me, even though I said no thanks. Finally, the last time they called I got really interested. The more interested I got, the more excited the girl got. I kept saying, "Really? I'm approved? That's great!" and she kept telling me, "Isn't it though?" Finally, I said, "Man, this couldn't have come at a better time, because I've been unemployed for a while and I could really use some cash!" "Uh, maybe now isn't the best time for you, sir" Haven't heard from them since.

As for the religious folk, my buddy tells me if you can see them coming, Black Sabbath at loud volume usually gets them to skip your house.

Safyre
May 23rd, 2005, 11:27 PM
My uncle answered the door with his collar on.... never had any other religious ppl at his door (my uncle being a minister)

Bearsmom
May 24th, 2005, 12:48 PM
Thanks, Safyre, that's good info to have.

The one I'm referring to is a resort around Collingwood area. They call at least once a day. My biggest concern was if I'm trying to dial 911, and my phone lines are locked up with their stupid recording that won't disconnect (believe me, I once held the disconnect down for 30 seconds and it STILL wouldn't hang up) they'd better be ready to be liable if I can't get a line out.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 25th, 2005, 09:06 PM
Well I have completed 2 days of my 6 week call centre training. Were doing customer service for a us based cell company and learning how to convince the customers that they need certain services. They say the commisions are pretty good so I guess we will see. The hardest part so far is being away from my kids and having to miss their last few days of my kids school and my sons preschool graduation :sad: Oh and waking up at 4am ....although I do get to use cruise control as there are not to many drivers on the road then.