Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Anyone want to adopt some fish?

greaterdane
May 21st, 2005, 09:01 AM
Currently we have 3 fish tanks and sadly with moving and the dogs, these poor guys do not get alot of attention. We are thinking about finding the fish some new homes. Tiny adoption fees apply as I do not want them ending up in the wrong hands. Here is a list of what we have

2 silver barbs, large sized about 1 year old

1 Pacu, very large sized hes about 2 years old

1 very large chiclid, hes an african blue scale, about 2 years old

2 very large plecos one is almost a foot long (not sure about age)

1 Heplacat..looks just like a cat fish, hes pretty big but fun to watch

1 silver dollar, hes small

2 fancy tail fish, forgetting their names right now, but they look like the do underwater ballet

If anyone is interested in these fish please contact me by pm. I can get the bags for them from my local petland and would love if you could pick them up, but I would bring them to you for a small fee

I really do not want to part with them, but 3 fish tanks is a bit much to take care of when James seems to have lost intrest like a small child. I would appreciate leads as well to find my little ones homes. Adoption fees would range fron $1-$10 depending on the fish :)

Prin
May 21st, 2005, 11:53 AM
Wow, you have a lot of fish... Unfortunately, I AM the "wrong hands". Fish like to die really quickly under my care... I love fish and I wish I understood them better, but I'll leave them to the pros. :)

Lise
May 21st, 2005, 01:25 PM
I think we can take most of them,who's in with what right now?I've got a 40 with mixed mbunas,a 65 with lrg angels,loaches etc,a 33 with some med community and a 15 with a stupid shark with a lousy attitude do you think your guys could fit in anywere?If so let me know were you are.

melanie
May 21st, 2005, 04:35 PM
youve got a "stupid shark with a lousy attitude'

perhaps its the captivity that gives him the lousy attitude, i would certainly have the S#@$s if i was a shark in captivity too.

Lucky Rescue
May 21st, 2005, 05:53 PM
I"m sure the "shark" is not a real shark, but rather a Red-Tailed shark, or a Bala shark which is really a kind of minnow! Red Tailed sharks are very territorial and can seem grumpy as a result.:p

Mommyto2bullies, you can take the foot long pleco to a pet store or even to a public aquarium if you have any nearby. They may take them.

Don't mean to hijack your thread, but just wondering how Dexter is doing? He's one of my fave dogs here!!:)

Lise
May 22nd, 2005, 06:44 AM
Stupid shark is a red tail shark who was about to be flushed down a toilet after attacking everything in a tank,so a friend of mine who used to work in a pet store called me and asked if I would take the fish.As far as public aquaria taking lrg fish they won't usually neither will most pet stores,the montreal aquarium society may be able to help you,unfortunately your collection consists of fish that are not usually easy to place due to size and personality.That was why I offered to help.

Lucky Rescue
May 22nd, 2005, 08:59 AM
Stupid shark is a red tail shark who was about to be flushed down a toilet after attacking everything in a tank

That is their nature. This is why it's good to find out about these things before bringing any creatures home, especially creatures who cannot change or adapt to different conditions. Red Tailed sharks need VERY large tanks so other fish won't constantly be in their territory. A 15 gal is not nearly large enough if there are other fish in there.

I find generally that pet store staff are woefully unknowledgeable about fish, so it's best to find out yourself.

How big is your shark? I didn't have much luck growing any of mine very big.:(

Mommy - a pet store MAY take the pleco, but probably not the others, as Lise said. They might take the Pacu as well.

Lise
May 22nd, 2005, 11:58 AM
Tgis shark was previously housed in a 108 gal aquarium and he was still too aggressive even with hiding spots.He is now housed alone in a fifteen gallon with extensive rockwork and plants this is not too small for his size.I have worked for fish import companies,have bred many different types of fish ,when we moved everyone including our fish moved with us,I've got lrg angel,loaches and some of our africans that are more than ten years old.I have always found staff in many specialty aquarium stores to be extremely knowledgable about most common species like the shark.As far as size the labeo bicolour reaches a max of 3.5 to 4 inch so he's fine and I know his requirements.

greaterdane
May 24th, 2005, 11:39 AM
Hi, Well I dont want these fish flushed if they are found to have bad attitudes. I dont need them to go all together as they are in 3 different fish tanks right now and happy but need more attention.