Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Best Places to Drive

Prin
May 20th, 2005, 11:11 PM
All this talk about licenses and cars.. I was wondering, all you drivers out there, where is the most memorable drive you ever took? Like if you could drive on any road which would it be?

Here's my list:
1. Calgary to Banff: the mountains get bigger and bigger and bigger (watch out for the photoradar...).
2. Highway 327 north of Montreal. It's windy through the bush and lakey areas and I know all of it like the back of my hand.
3. Whistler to Pemberton. The most peaceful place to drive. Not too curvy and mountains all around.
And the last one was a wrong turn I took in BC, I don't know where it was-- I was driving home from Whistler with a massive concussion and somewhere between the migraine naps, I turned off the T-Can... There was a desert and ginseng farms everywhere. If I hadn't gotten lost, I would never have known that Canada had a desert...

greaterdane
May 20th, 2005, 11:22 PM
I totally have to agree with Calgary to Banff

I did this with my sister and dad back when I was in grade 11 and it was awesome to be driving along and see a moutain pop out of nowhere.

My other fav place to drive is St.Maarten. You get a little rental car and to drive up the moutains you literally have to lean forward to give your car momentum to go up HAHAH its great when its 5 people in the car all leaning forward :) If you've been there you totally understand what i am talking about. I've been going for 8 years and still leaning forward. Force of habit now I guess.

Prin
May 20th, 2005, 11:31 PM
Where is that? St Maarten?

greaterdane
May 21st, 2005, 12:04 AM
St. Martin and St. Maarten is in the carabien ;)

Prin
May 21st, 2005, 12:34 AM
LOL I was wondering.... Never been there. One day I WILL go to somewhere where the ocean is WARM. :)

CyberKitten
May 21st, 2005, 12:07 PM
For some reason - since I am not always fond of driving lately - what came to mind were the worst places to drive. Boston's inner core came to mind as did some parts of Quebec tho I can tolerate route 20 since it is after all a divided highway. But the winding roads of the Matapedia Rover Valley while scenic can be VERY dangerous! In Boston - tho the same is true of streets aorund the university and the south end of Halifax - one street named one thing becomes another before you realize it.

Another place not the most fun is the infamous 19 in the Tampa Bay area. And Ireland's roads - again while scenic - are poorly signed!

I like scenic drives - driving around Peggy's Cove and that area outside of Halifax, Cape Breton's highlands and Vermont's roads are good places for leisurely driving. I once drove with my ex husband from Paris to the Riviera and later through the Alps with the mountains and the tunnels. I'd like to do that again.

kandy
May 21st, 2005, 01:06 PM
I've been to St. Martin (or St. Maarten if you go with the french version) and took a tour where we went up those kinds of hills - but we were on a bus. One thing I didn't like was how skinny the streets are - very scary on a bus! But I think the streets on Antigua were worse - we saw two taxi drivers go after each other with big sticks over who was going to go first! :eek:

My favorite drives are:
Northern Montana into Glacier Nat'l Park - don't remember the number of the highway but it was gorgeous!
From Flaming Gorge to Dutch John, Utah - gorgeous mountain scenery
From Baggs, Wyoming to Steamboat Springs, Colo. - a bit windy but totally worth the drive!

The most boring? All the way across Nebraska - nothing but corn fields, corn fields and more corn fields!

Cactus Flower
May 22nd, 2005, 01:31 PM
What a neat question!

I love to drive, so I've had many memorable ones- not all on purpose. I once got lost in Pennsylvania, trying to take what appeared to be a "shortcut", on my way to Ontario. Ended up in farmland on a county road. That was memorable because of the farmers who helped me get back on track. Wonderful people. Sometimes the people make the trip, you know? I wasn't sorry I got lost after that. In fact, I don't think I've ever been sorry I got lost. It the journey (not the location) to me.

As far as scenery goes- driving through Monument Valley Arizona makes my jaw sore. It must hang open, in awe, the entire time. That is the most beautiful stretch of desert in this land!

raingirl
May 22nd, 2005, 08:05 PM
hmm...

I haven't been to many places so I dunno. I like driving on Hwy 11 up to Algonquin...

I loved driving from Florida to Toronto on I75 all the way. That was fun!

Antigua I hear someone say? I lived there for a summer once. I LOVED IT! There aren't many countries in the world that you can drive across in less than an hour, or stand on a tall/mountain on one side, and see the other! It was the first time where they drove on the other side of the street though, that always scared me, but it was so scenic, who cares! I can't wait to go back one day.

OHHH I almost forgot! HAWAII! Best driving anywhere! There is a hwy that goes all the way around Oahu. It takes a day to drive it, but the ocean is always on your right or left (depending on which way you drive!)
Driving to the North Shore from Oahu on the Kamehameha Hwy..seeing the Pineapple fields forever! When we went to Hawaii, my BF's uncle and grandmother lived there (he has since passed away and his grandmother moved back to the philipines). We spend 3 weeks living with them, he gave us a car to use and we went EVERYWHERE! It was like being a local because my BF fit in being he is filipino and all, and driving an older (obviously not rented) car, and not being near the hotels. We went to Waikiki once or twice, but sticked to the lesser known beaches and things instead.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 22nd, 2005, 09:09 PM
We drove from Vancouver to through the Kootneys and Nelson and went through places like Creston and took the Kootney Lake Ferry. Very peaceful and the drive and scenary is beautiful

http://www.nelsonbc.ca/pages/ferry_schedule.html

From there we drove through Montana and through Whitefish and Glacier National park. Where we saw the white bearded mountain goats. The road winds all the way to the top and its a straight drop down so it was a bit scary driving up but very beautiful.

http://www.glacierparkinc.com/

For a local drive highway 97 driving by Kalamalka lake is breath taking.

http://wlapwww.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/kalamalk.htm

and also out Tronson road overlooking Okanangan Lake
http://www.welcometovernon.com/

and of course driving around the Island of Hawaii in the tropical rain and driving right up to the active Volcanos that was very cool.

Prin
May 22nd, 2005, 09:44 PM
I guess I have to go to Hawaii!! One day... :)

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 22nd, 2005, 10:11 PM
Yes try to get there the Island of Hawaii or the Big Island is beautiful. I got to snorkel with giant sea turtles too very memorable. They are so gentle they swim right beside you of course we've been no where exotic in the 7 years since weve had kids but hopefully will get to spend a week in mexico with kids and grandparents in November.

Shamrock
May 23rd, 2005, 03:00 PM
Great thread, this is interesting to read!
The Oregon Coast is a fantastic scenic drive, leisurely and beautful.
I'd reccomend it to anyone as "one" of the most lovely stretches in North America.
I've never had the pleasure of travelling outside Canada and the U.S, but would agree with Cactus Flower that some areas in Arizona leave you in absolute awe with amazement at the incredible terrain.
That lovely pic brought back many nice memories of an unforgettable drive that would rank as my number one.

ANBshilling
May 23rd, 2005, 07:15 PM
My most memorable was driving up Pikes Peak in Colorado Springs, CO. It was very stressful, but SO awesome. Thank goodness my husband is a great driver! The view from the top is undescribable!

JDG
May 23rd, 2005, 07:41 PM
I drove from Toronto to Myrtle Beach with friends. . .that was awesome, and we still talk about the trip. That was more about the company than the scenery. . .

I drove from Cobham Surrey England to Brighton Hove England. . .great drive - first real road trip when we lived in england. . . we drove all the way down there for Fish and Chips!

Colin and I have driven from Montreal to Toronto a couple times now - - its a nice drive because once we get to Toronto we get to see our familes, and on the way back we get to leave the in-laws behind! :p

Cool idea for a thread!