Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is this a good product? (dog chews)

Dahlia
May 20th, 2005, 03:52 PM
Today I bought some Booda Velvet Gnarly dog chews from Wal Mart. They're made of corn starch so they slowly disintegrate as the dog chews on them. I gave one to Sophie and she loves it! She hasn't bothered any of the baby's toys all day!! :party:

It's kinda funny because she hides under the table with it like she does with the stuff she's not supposed to have. Then she'll sneak out into the middle of the floor and chew on it until someone walks through, and she'll grab it and run back under the table, lol. I guess she thinks every time she gets something "good" someone takes it away. :p

So I just wondered if there was any reason why she shouldn't have them. It's about the only thing I could find at Wal Mart that wasn't rawhide.

Dahlia
May 20th, 2005, 03:57 PM
Oops, also wanted to ask if the hooves you can get at the pet store are okay to give to a 5 month old pup. She LOVES to chew and I almost got her one the other day but then I decided it was gross and didn't want it in the house. Today I was thinking that I could put it outside for her so she'll have something to do when she's out there. I'm trying to curb her from chewing things she doesn't need to.

Today she pooped out the tail off of a little stuffed bunny she was chewing on yesterday. I saw her chewing on it but didn't realize she ate the tail. When I saw her bite the nose off I took it and threw the whole thing away. No more stuffed animals for her, except for the dog ones. They seem to be holding up pretty well.

Lucky Rescue
May 20th, 2005, 05:06 PM
Booda bones are okay. I give them to my dog once in a great while.

The best thing for your dog to chew on is raw bones.

melanie
May 20th, 2005, 06:00 PM
its good to hear that she has a bone she likes, its great fortheir teeth and health in general.

you may find the reson she runs under the table with it is that she is a bit worried like you siad that someone will take it. perhaps you could give it to her somewhere a bit more private so she can really enjoy it, i find my old dog love a bit of privacy when eating most things but esp for a treat, and perhaps with kids around it could be a safety meassure too :D .

good luck with all the toy bunnies :D :p

Dahlia
May 20th, 2005, 06:33 PM
Ok, I think I read something on here about getting raw bones from the butcher. What bone should I ask for for a 10 lb dog? She'll get up to maybe 20 lbs max.

Lucky Rescue
May 20th, 2005, 08:05 PM
Since she's so small, beef ribs would be a good choice! You can sometimes get a large slab for a cheap price and just cut them yourself.

goldenblaze
May 20th, 2005, 08:57 PM
Well here is some information about what happen with Blaze today. :sad: I gave Blaze a raws soup bone yesterday and today he had blood while and after pooping. I called out Vet right away I took a sample with me which had some blood in it. Today my Vet told me NEVER to give my boys raw soup bones again! :sick: Blaze has a little bite from the bone cutting as it was coming out, after supper he pooped with no blood, Thank God we hope it has now passed and he will be ok. If not off we go back to her and check him again, and hope it's nothing in his colon. :( So I would say no to any kind of raw bones, I will never gave them again.

Dahlia
May 21st, 2005, 12:14 AM
Oooh, that's scary. Maybe I'll just stick with the Booda bones. Someone gave Sophie some kind of a bone one day and I didn't know until that evening when she threw up all over my carpet. There was a chunk of bone in it about 2" long by almost an inch thick! I don't know how she swallowed it but she did. Poor puppy. I watched her really well for the next few days and she was fine but that was kinda scary.

Holiday
May 21st, 2005, 03:01 AM
The vet told me one time when I had Mickey in dogs break teeth on the hoves. I could not get him to eat things like Mike Bone, what he will chew on and has his teeth sparkling is pig ears and the freeze dries meat (low fat) he is up there in years. He also likes the corn starch bones.

Cactus Flower
May 21st, 2005, 01:48 PM
Raj loves those corn starch bones! They even come in CHEESE FLAVOR- ohhhh what could be better than that? My dogs are cheese freaks.

kandy
May 21st, 2005, 02:18 PM
Hmmmm... My breeder recommended giving Parker raw knuckle bones to chew on - it's probably a stupid question, but what do the soup bones look like? I haven't seen any problem with Parker's poop - although my son said that he ate a banana peel :eek: the other day and then he had diarreah (sp) the next day. Maybe he needed some potassium? :D After reading this I am thinking that maybe I shouldn't give Parker or Hazel the raw bones at all.