Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

calling all vegetarians...

Crazy Hippie
May 20th, 2005, 02:37 PM
Hey pet lovers,
Any of you vegetarians? Cuz I just tried these veg burgers from M&M Meats and they are soooooo good! I'm vegetarian and I find it so hard to find a decent tasting veggie burger..these are the best I've ever tried. Not too pricey, $8.00 for 8 of them ( :ca: ). Give them a try, they're awesome..and no worries about mad cow! lol :thumbs up

Lizzie
May 20th, 2005, 02:40 PM
Almost everything from M&M Meats is AMAZING!! You should try the rest of their stuff too!!! Their quiche are soooooooo yummy!

melanie
May 20th, 2005, 05:44 PM
we dont have such brands, do they produce meat products as well that company(im guessing by the meaty name)??

you would never buy the vegie burgers in the supermarkets here, you would be better off putting a piece of your dirty old carpet in the oven and eating that, ah yuck :yuck: not that i actually eat vegie burgers :rolleyes:

vegetarians in this country get fed crap, i swear we do, apparently all we eat is chips and salad, did you not know that, well neither did i, but everywhere you go that is generally the vegetarian menu (or they try and slap together some cheap and crappy dhal (sp? its early)).

unless that is if your in the more laid back places where heaps of vegetarians live, which are far and few between, and then it hard to even believe your eyes at the feasts one can actually purchased, jsut delicious.

but occassionally i do check the frozen section, have you tried those lovely spinach and fetta pastry triangles (greek type fare) in the supermarket freezer, oh jsut delicious, i will keep an eye out for the brand, thanks or the tip :D

Lizzie
May 20th, 2005, 09:33 PM
Here's the link: http://www.mmmeatshops.com/

M&M's are the best. They are great for holidays as they sell a lot of stuff great for catering your own little parties. They are also terrific for everyday dinners--their chicken nuggets and pizza egg rolls are the best I've ever had. Their Strawberry Short Cake is incredible. Just about everything on their menu is too good to be true. We do most of our groceries there actually! hehe It's all frozen or refrigerated so it's good for people who want to stock up and use later!

Prin
May 20th, 2005, 10:48 PM
Do you have the ingredients? My brother and his "conjoint" are super strict vegans and I have NO clue how to feed them. They end up drinking water when they visit...

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 21st, 2005, 01:48 PM
I'm not a vegatarian but I do the veggie burgers as they taste pretty good. A veggie burger in a whole wheat pita with humous is really yummy sort of a quick veggie falafal.

I actually used to make veggie burgers here is the recipe I used to use if I remember it right.

veggies any kind chopped up small then cooked until fairly soft

bread crumbs

barbeque sauce to hold the burger together and add flavour

don't remember whether there was an egg or not I think the bbq sauce would take take the place of the egg.

mix the veggies and bread crumbs together I think I would use more veggies than bread crumbs, then add the bbq sauce until it can be formed into patties I guess you can add the egg if it is not able to form into pattie consistency. Its been along time since I made them but they were good.

the veggie burgers at M&M sound good and cheap too I just might try them

Eleni
May 21st, 2005, 03:22 PM
finely diced portabello mushrooms with breadcrumbs and a bit of bbq sauce works as a hamburger.

yum now im hungry

Eleni

Crazy Hippie
May 21st, 2005, 04:18 PM
Prin, I think these burgers are vegan..I don't see any animal products on the ingredients. There's a lot of added vitamins/minerals too. If you wanna cook your bro something when he visits, try getting a few vegan cookbooks from the library - you'd be surprised at how easy (and yummy!) a lot of those recipes are. There's one called Vegan Planet that's really good! Maybe then he'll have more than water lol. Researchbulls I'm gonna try your veggie burger recipe - I'm a food fanatic so I always gotta try the recipes!

kate_katlover
May 21st, 2005, 04:21 PM
:D You should try researching under the phrase"Indian-hindu, recipes" you will be suprised how many amazing recipes will pop up. Im not vegitarian and I order these all the time as they are mouth-watering!!

melanie
May 21st, 2005, 05:58 PM
oh so they make real meat products as well, ahh.... no thanks there, im a vegetarian for a reason :p (cheeky arent i :p ).

and arent you scared/terrified/mortified of cross contamination?? gosh even my own kitchen is strictly regulated and monitored to ensure absolutly no cross contamination occurs, you could never ensure that from a company that makes meat products as well.........ahhh grose :yuck: :p , just imagine all that blood and flesh chunks in your vegie burger, or a bench surface that had blood on it then usedfor your food prep, oh just to foul blahhh. :D

we went out to get takeaway last night, we went to the local thai restaurant, well they have 64 meat dishes on the menu (i counted) and three vego ones, and they consist of fried veges in sauce, blah, at leastt hey do really doog spring rolls, i jsut eat lots fo them, yuuuum. i could not hold my tounge, and asked the manager 'if he was trying to starve off the vegetarian business, and if so he was diong a smashing job of it' i cant help it.

i went to a function the other week, the premier of the state was there (big politician). they had a luncheon after, i was absolutly appaled to find that nothing without meat was served. i asked the woman serving and she replied 'oh the dont you want tuna or egg' for gods sake i dont eat meat, dont tehy get it. so after her hassling me about the fish i replied 'look lady i dont eat anyones flesh, and i sure dont eat anyones ovaries, is that clear enough' she then brought me a piece of choc cake and left me alone.

i find it so discriminating when ppl dont consider other diets and vegos, what if i was vego for religious or cultural reasons- is their not serving me jsut discrimination, it makes me so mad when ppl assume that every one eats meat, considering this is the year 2005, its dispicable (and pretty darn unhealthy). is it that hard to have one dish or type of sandwich without meat, comeon............. :evil:

sorry for the rant but it jsut makes me furious when ppl are so blatantly ignorant to the world and its many forms and varieties of people, this is the modern world, and a multicultural one at that, its high time we realyl started practicing what we preach........

but on a side note, do look for the feta nad spinich triangles, greek vego food is jsut so darn tasty.....................