Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What a set of choppers

Holiday
May 20th, 2005, 02:06 AM
I bet you never hear this" I'm new to this group" I am. I have two dogs, my question concerns the newest member of my family a 8 month old toy Pomeranian. She is getting her primary teeth in and still has her baby teeth. She looks like a shark with two rows top and bottom. I give her lots of thing to chew on, what can I do? Her name is JuJu short for Lacy Onyx Jewel. :crazy:

Prin
May 20th, 2005, 02:54 AM
I think if both sets of teeth are coming in, you should talk to your vet about having the babies' removed asap... Teeth are supposed to be monitored frequently as they come in and any baby teeth interfering with the adult teeth are supposed to be removed as soon as it is evident. If it's too late, your doggy may have a bad bite for the rest of its life. :sad:

Holiday
May 20th, 2005, 09:37 PM
I have also heard that small dogs dont take anesthesia well, dont they have to sedate her to take the teeth out. If something happen I would just be nuts. I read another thread about that kind of disaster. R

Prin
May 20th, 2005, 10:16 PM
Trust me, it will be a much more painful LIFE to live with the teeth as they are than to go under the gas once. I take it then you won't be getting the dog spayed either? You can't let your fear of things jeopardize the health of your dog. The actual chances of something happening are slim.

Lucky Rescue
May 21st, 2005, 12:28 AM
Agree with Prin. Simply ask your vet to use a very safe anesthetic, like Isoflurane.

I had a rat anesthetized with that, and he was fine and weighed only 10 ounces.

Very small dogs often require quite a bit of dental care.

greaterdane
May 21st, 2005, 01:08 AM
My little guys teeth are checked all the time because they still have one or two baby teeth. Both vets that I have seen dont see them as a problem providing I take care of them making sure food does not get stuck etc. I asked both vets to take them out and they said it wasnt needed

Holiday
May 21st, 2005, 02:22 AM
I was not going to have her fixed, she is way too small to go out unsupervised. I have a rescue gentleman who is fixed so I dont think there will be any issues or risk of unexpected litters. I will ask the Vet about her teeth, I would rather brush more often or let her chew on something that might help her to get rid of them on her own. I check them several times a day. I have enjoyed all of the postings on the site.

kandy
May 21st, 2005, 02:50 PM
There are more reasons to spay a dog than breeding although that is probably the one people talk about more. In my opinion, the main reason besides unwanted pups are that her chances of getting certain types of cancer increases with age. Not to mention the mess you'll have to deal with every 6 months or so and I assume that you have to take this doggy for walks at some point during the day, if she's in heat she'll attract every dog for blocks that you'll have to fend off. Even if she's small and doesn't go outside much, she still needs to be spayed. You might do some research on health problems associated with intact non-breeding females before you decide not to spay her.

Prin
May 21st, 2005, 10:49 PM
True true, Kandy, not only other dogs, but your male dog will never leave her alone when she is heat. Castrated of not, he'll be on her. Nothing fun about an unspayed dog.