Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

terrarium

kayla
May 19th, 2005, 11:27 PM
I'm thinking of starting a terrarium for my cat, anyone out there with some experience in this? I wanted to make one with insects, preferably crickets since they can be bought at any pet store, but any insect that jumps around a lot would be great. My cat loves sitting at the window and batting at insects trying to get in from the outside so I thought it would be a good way to keep her entertained while I'm at work. I have absolutely no experience with this sort of thing so any info would be great!

Lucky Rescue
May 19th, 2005, 11:53 PM
People usually raise and breed crickets to feed to reptiles. My sister in law used to do this. If you put crickets in a terrarium, I guarantee they will get out and be chirping all over your house!:p You also have to feed them and they will multiply.

It's also kind of messy and smelly. The terrarium will have to have a couple inches of rolled oats or bran at the bottom, and you must also feed veggies which have to be replaced every day as they will rapidly decompose and stink in that humid environment.

The crickets need hiding places so they won't fight and eat each other. Won't be very entertaining for you or you cat....

kayla
May 20th, 2005, 12:07 AM
Hmmmm, that doesnt sound very fun for me or the cat. Are there any insects that would hop around and be less stinky? What about ants or something? As I said I have no experience with this sort of thing so don't even know what's out there. I like insects though so I wouldn't have qualms about even a bunch of creepy crawly spiders (as long as they are kept tightly in the terrarium). Although come to think of it spiders are territorial so I doubt I could keep many in one space..

Lucky Rescue
May 20th, 2005, 10:19 AM
Are there any insects that would hop around and be less stinky?
How about a flea circus?? http://www.gape.org/sonce/svetpogovorov/vzivo/chat/images/smilies/rofl2.gif

Spiders.... :eek: ....well, the good thing is that the cat might be entertained while they are killing and eating each other. Ewwwwwwwww.....

But seriously, most bugs are very inactive when they are not hunting or eating. They don't hop around a lot so as not to attract predators.

JDG
May 20th, 2005, 10:26 AM
What about frogs or lizards?

Or a couple little white mice. . .

kayla
May 20th, 2005, 10:43 AM
Youd think with all the genetic modification going on theyd make some sort of super jumping bug to entertain cats! Yeesh, where is our tax money going anyways? Well, guess Ill just have to stick with fish or something. Problem with them is they always live so bloody long. I know Im heartless but I want something that only lives until September when I move back to Mtl.

kayla
May 20th, 2005, 10:44 AM
Or frogs, hmmmm... That could be interesting, how long do they live?

Eleni
May 20th, 2005, 10:46 AM
what about a video of crickets??

hehe

Eleni

JDG
May 20th, 2005, 10:46 AM
I just looked up lifespans of frogs. . .they will live a little longer than 2 months. . .hahah ;)

depending on the species of frog. . . .6-20 years. . .

http://www.klsnet.com/frogs.html

JDG
May 20th, 2005, 10:51 AM
what about a video of crickets??

hahaha thats sooo funny. . .my Brother in Law has a video of logs buring that he plays on his flatscreen plasma tv that he places in his non-working fireplace. . .

I have seen of videos of birds for cats though. . . http://www.cattv.com/

Eleni
May 20th, 2005, 10:52 AM
lol i lvoe my bird so much I stopped allowing the cats in her room and made a video off of the animal channel of birds flying about so they could stalk birds without stressing my bird out

Eleni

kayla
May 20th, 2005, 02:14 PM
tv, hadn't thought of that one! maybe i should just put in on the nature chanel or something :) a frog that only lives 2 months would be pretty cool too!

kayla
May 20th, 2005, 02:30 PM
I just looked up lifespans of frogs. . .they will live a little longer than 2 months. . .hahah ;)
[/url]

Doh, I thought you had said "they will live little longer than 2 months", had my hopes up! Maybe I could get tadpoles from a pond or something and let them swim around, or a catch a bunch of house flies and put them in a container, haha. If only I could teach Momma Cat how to read or something, keep herself busy..

kayla
May 20th, 2005, 02:48 PM
Think I will get some fish. Anyone know what would be the best type of fish to get? By 'best' I mean moves around a lot and bright and visible for Momma Cat. Also I would prefer cold water so I don't have to buy a heater. Goldfish would work I guess but something more interesting would be fun too, and something that doesn't eat plants would be nice (I can never get live plants w/ my goldfish back home they just tear them apart). I found someone who will take them for me at the end of the summer so the life span isnt such an issue anymore ;)

JDG
May 20th, 2005, 02:54 PM
Info foundhere (http://freshaquarium.about.com/od/fishqa/f/coldwaterfish.htm)

Barbs - Several readily available species of Barbs are tolerant of temperatures into the mid sixties, or even lower. All are easy to care for, and are suitable for a community aquarium. They include: the Gold Barb (Barbus schuberti), the Green Barb (Barbus semifasciolatus), the Rosy Barb (Barbus conchonius), and the Two Spot Barb (Barbus ticto).

Bloodfin Tetra - Both the standard Bloodfin (Aphyocharax anisitsi), and the False Bloodfin (Aphyocharax dentatus) tolerate temperatures as low as the mid sixties. Bloodfins are offered in many pet shops, are easy to care for, and are quite hardy. They are active top dwellers and are best kept in schools.

Buenos Aires Tetra (Hemigrammus caudovittatus) - Easily found for sale, they will tolerate temperatures into the mid sixties. Standard varieties, as well as albino variants can be found. Like the Bloodfins, they are undemanding and easy to care for. They are suitable for a community tank, but will eat live plants voraciously.

Croaking Tetra (Coelurichthys microlepis) - Not often found for sale, they are an attractive fish that is worth shopping around for. Like other coldwater tetras, they are easy to care for and are suitable for community tanks.

Guppy (Poecilia reticulata) - As readily available as any fish, there are many attractive variations of this popular fish.

Hillstream Loaches - Although they are not often seen in pet shops, some species can be found for sale from time to time. Not all of them prefer cool temperatures, but most will tolerate temps that fall into the mid to upper sixties.

Native Fish - A variety of North American native fish are now being sold in the aquarium trade. Virtually all of them tolerate cool water. Availability varies from state to state, as do laws regarding which species may be legally kept in home aquariums. Keep in mind that some will become too large to keep in a standard aquarium.

Pearl Danio (Brachydanio albolineatus) - Like the zebra danio, this fish is very hardy and easy to care for. It will tolerate temperatures into the mid 60's without difficulty, and is easy to find. They are larger than zebras, but need not be kept in schools.

Weather Loach (Misgurnus angullicaudatus) - Readily available, this loach is one of the easiest to care for. Couple that with the fact that it will tolerate temperatures into the fifties, and it makes an excellent candidate for a coldwater tank.

Wimple (Myxocyprinus asiaticus) - Also known as the Freshwater Batfish. Not commonly found, it is an unusual fish that is worth tracking down if you like to have something unique. It will tolerate temps into the mid sixties.

White Cloud Mountain Minnow (Tanichtys albonubes) - One of the easiest fish to care for, a new gold colored variant has become very popular. They do best in cooler temperatures, although very low temps will lessen their attractive coloration.

Zebra Danio (Brachydanio rerio) - Outside of goldfish and the guppy, the zebra is the most readily available of all coldwater fish. They tolerate temps that fall into the mid sixties, and are very easy to care for. Long finned species are available, as well as a popular leopard spotted variety.

JDG
May 20th, 2005, 02:56 PM
When I was younger my dad had a 100 gallon tank with just guppies in it.

It was really beautiful. . .

As a side note, guppies are 'livebearing' fish - which means they give 'birth' to baby fishies, rather than eggs that hatch, so they are very neat too.

Jackie467
May 20th, 2005, 04:40 PM
Guppys are very cool, my SO breeds them, but they will need a heater. How big is your tank? depending on size a heater may not cost very much. But you will need a filter unless you want to do gravel vaccuuming and water changing at LEAST once a week depending on the size of the tank. the smaller the tank the more often you have to do water changes. I have a 40 gal that I do a water change on twice a month, but remember with water changes only 30 percent of the water should be changed at one time (once again depending on the size of the tank and whats in it). Most fish will need a heater. some fish CAN live in colder water like cetain barbs but it's not ideal and they won't live long and will most likely get sick more often, and sick fish are a pain to treat trust me I just cured an outbreak of Ich in my tank. talk about a pain in the rear. Lost one fish and of course it was my fave. guppyies and platies are live bearers which is kind of neat, I had some fry before the ich outbreak but the medication killed them :sad: . goldfish and cloud minnows are really the only fish that tolorate cold water well, and goldfish can get quite large and live a long while. most cold water fish either get too big for a tank or are not very colorful and interesting (and goldfish are very dirty, requires a lot of tank cleaning). a betta might be nice but they require heaters and are kind of dirty as well. I love the hobby of fish keeping, but it can be overwhelming if you don't like cleaning a fish tank. It does take a little work but very rewarding, at least I think so. Hope you find something cool for her watch. Jasmine loves to watch my fish, one of her fav things. (I have a tight lid so she can't get in, and it's 40 gal no way she'll knock that over)

kayla
May 21st, 2005, 12:02 PM
i dont really like cleaning fish tanks, but if you get one of those sucking catfish it makes it much easier, i have one in my tank in Mtl. and combined with a filter i hardly even have to clean my tank, i just fill it up when the water level drops (i'm not the best fish keeper in the world but they end up living eons despite). i'm guessing guppies require a bit more care but i think i will give them a shot, thanks for the advice!

kandy
May 21st, 2005, 01:32 PM
We have had fish in the past - black mollies when we were younger and my son brought home an Oscar from college.

The tank both for the mollies and the huge one for the oscar sucked (no pun intended :p ) to clean. I would never own fish again. The mollies gave birth (live as well) one night when we had a party in our house. Some drunk a** thought that the fish needed to be drunk too. Poured a whole pitcher of beer into the tank! :eek: The babies all survived the beer, but didn't survive for long after I cleaned the tank - guess they couldn't handle the clean water after being born in beer!

The Oscar died after we had a major power outage that lasted for about 12 hours - he didn't have enough oxygen and of course no heat. He was huge when he died but he ate like there was no tomorrow - he loved those feeder guppies! Would jump out of the water and try to bite your fingers when you were feeding him.

I used the fish to entertain my son when he was a baby. I would park his bassinet (with him in his little baby chair sitting up in the bassinet) in front of the tank while I was doing housework. He was also so fascinated by the movement and colors!