Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pit Bull attack in Niagara

twodogsandacat
May 20th, 2005, 12:02 AM
From the St. Catharines Standard.
At least they put in print a lot of the factors that contributed to the attack such as two unaltered males being allowed to run loose on more than one ocassion.

“Those dogs would of chewed me to pieces’
Man recounts attack by two pit bulls
By Alison Langley
Osprey News Network
Niagara Falls

The large crimson drops of blood on his driveway are a painful reminder to Jack White just how close he came to losing his arm to a pair of rampaging pit bulls.
The 52-year old Chippawa man was relaxing at his Regan Drive home Monday evening when he heard a man Screaming for help.

He looked across the street and saw a man being attacked by a dog.
Armed with a broom, White darted across the street to Tramore Crescent.
As he got closer, he realized there were actually two dogs attacking the man, who he recognized as his neighbour Ken Moore.

White yelled at and hit the dogs with the broom in an attempt to get the animals off Moore.

The animals ran off, but quickly returned and focused their attention on W'hite.

When one got too close, I swung the broom and whacked it on the head and l guess that made it even madder,'' he recalled.

White said what followed is somewhat blurry as the last thing he dearly remembers is looking over his shoulder and seeing one of the dogs coming at him.

One dog clamped down on his ankle and the second dog ripped into his left biceps, severing an artery.
"There was blood spurting every-where," White said.

Several neighbours, including Stuart Mclntyre) joined the fray, hitting the animals with sticks until they released their hold on White.

Niagara Regional Police said the dogs continued their rampage on Rapalje Street, where they attacked and killed a cat. When the owner intervened, the dogs began circling the man before running away.

The animals then led police on a lengthy chase through the community.
One of the dogs was struck by a tow truck and then a police cruiser on the Niagara Parkway. The animal was then destroyed by police.

The second dog ran to its home on Willoughby Drive and the owners turned the animal over to the Niagara Falls Humane Society.

The dog, believed to be about six or seven years old, will be kept under quarantine for 10 days and then euthanized.

Moore and White were taken to Greater Niagara General Hospital for treatment.

Moore, who didn't realize White was injured until after the incident, is crediting his neighbor with saving his life.
Those dogs would have chewed me to pieces the 47-year-old said. I am so grateful to Jack and I feel so bad be- cause he got hurt way worse than I did."
Moore said seeing two large, muscular dogs running at him was one of the most terrifying experiences of his life.
They came straight for me, teeth bared and everything. . I couldn't believe how vicious they were."
One dog chomped down on his foot and pulled him to the ground. He was dragged some 30 feet across a lawn before White came to his aid.
Residents say it was common knowl edge the dogs often ran loose in the area, which is filled with children.
"They would have killed a kid, no doubt about it," Moore said.
White agreed.
"If they can take two grown men down, they could have torn a child apart. A child wouldn't have stood a chance he said.

Valerie Brown, general manager at the animal shelter, said staff were familiar with both animals as they had been called out to the area in the past.
She said allowing a dog of any breed to run loose will not be tolerated.
"Dogs running at large and unsupervised is against the bylaw and it's just unacceptable behaviour on the part of the owner," she said.

SPCA Inspector Don Horvath issued offence notices against the dog owners Tuesday afternoon of permitting a dog to run at large.
The offence carries a maximum fine of $5,000. Horvath said the owners had been fined on previous ocassions for allowing the dogs to run loose.

Brown reminds pet owners to have their animals spayed or neutered The two pit bulls involved in Monday's attacks were not fixed.

"They were unaltered males and they both fed off each other. One to would get riled up and go running and causing trouble and the other would follow along and do the same thing."