Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

drivers tests

raingirl
May 19th, 2005, 10:26 PM
For some reason I am severly afraid of driver tests. I think it's because of all the stress my parents put on me regarding driving because they are both professional drivers (truck, bus, and now subway).

I'm not a bad driver at all, in fact I'm an amazing driver (my step dad says I am so much better than my mother) and I love driving, but my extreme fear of them has led me to fail 2 already because I get so afraid I will do something wrong that I screw up. The first I failed was my first test ever, so that was ok because I didn't really know what to expect. I didn't take any courses, only my parents taught me. The second was my first G test. I made a mistake by not being able to merge on the highway (for those in Toronto, imagine taking your test and having to merge onto the DVP during morning rush hour. No one would let me in, and it's an automatic fail if you have to stop while trying to merge, or if you go past the merge lane end....I had to stop. The tester said I should be more agressive or I will cause accidents! How nice is that! He was a A-hole).

I just scheduled my second G test for next month and I'm already having anxiety attacks thinking about it. I'm afraid to tell people about it (friends, parents, family) because I am such a perfectionist and have severe social anxiety, I can't imagine what to tell them if I failed. I don't know what I will do if I fail again. I just want to pass so I never have to do it again. The system is only supposed to be 2 tests...and I'm about to take my fifth (my license expired before I was able to pass my G...so I had to take the first test again for the third time. Thank god the guy was really nice and actually told me I was driving too slow even though I was driving the speed limit!)

My parents are bugging me because my mom wants me to get my own insurance for the car I have. It's not under my name yet, but all the quotes I am getting are too high because I don't have a G yet...so I really NEED to get it asap. My mom is literally calling me several times a week because she bought a new car and doesn't want 3 on her policy. Right now I am "renting" her car and paying her for the insurance, but she wants me to finally buy the car from her and be done with it. She even called all the driving centres in my area to see what the waiting lists were like! Today she called me 4 times....

I just can't deal with the stress. My mother doesn't understand to just DROP IT because there is nothing I am going to do until I get a G so she may as well stop calling me about it until I do.

Sorry...needed to vent.

jiorji
May 19th, 2005, 10:36 PM
do they drive the TTC???:D

must be cool driving the subway. The trick to acing a driver's test is to book one off in one of the suburban towns. I hear that (if you live in Toronto) and sign up for Aurora tests they are MUCH easier.

good luck with your test

by the way...my parents are nags too...i think that's teh rule of being a parent.
I wish i could stuff my parents in small soundproof rooms MWHAHAHAH. hehe

.........speaking of nagging...*mumbles* :mad:

raingirl
May 19th, 2005, 10:42 PM
I heard that about aurora as well... Right now I have it booked in Brampton...

Maybe I will see about Aurora and see when they have tests free...It's booked for months in Brampton.

Safyre
May 19th, 2005, 10:53 PM
They make you drive on the highway up there? Make a request that they don't make you drive highway, there is no reason for that!
In Chatham, where I am at, it is a choice if they take you to the highway or not. They ask if you are going to be doing a lot of highway driving, if you say no, they keep you in the city. I do not know of ONE person that was amde to drive on highway for thier G in Chatham. or in Windsor.
Chatham tests are REALLY easy,... but yer a lil too far away I'd think. (2 1/2 hours or so if you're in brampton)

I have an anxiety disorder as well, I freaked out before my tests. Tell them that you are anxious! They tend to be a bit nicer!

raingirl
May 19th, 2005, 11:03 PM
I was told you HAVE to have highway driving for your G tests. It's part of the test and you can't avoid it. maybe it's because there are so many highways around here. Maybe in other areas you don't, but here, you do not get a choice. I know they closed one testing place and opened another closer to the highway just because of this.

I now live somewhere where the highway is nicer (No DVP anymore!). Plus, the place I went before is known as one of the worst testing places around, but it was the closest to my parents house so I had to go there (since I was using their car!) I just hope this place is a lot nicer than the previous one!

Lizzie
May 20th, 2005, 08:34 AM
I would suggest you take a refresher course with an instructor. Most driving schools have them, and make them specific to the particular test you are taking. This will give you time to adjust to having someone monitor your driving, as well as a sneak peak perhaps at the test route (many of them know and take you on it).

The refresher in car courses don't cost too much (about 100 bucks) and would likely really help you out if you get stressed while driving with a monitor.

As for the HWY part. I'm not sure what's going on in Chatham but even the MTO web site says it's a MUST. You actually have to sign a waiver saying you've practiced on the highway before they take you--if you haven't then they won't complete your test.

honeybee4
May 20th, 2005, 08:55 AM
Dumb question, what is a g test? do you already have a drivers license? Down here you just take a written test to get your permit, then when you pass you take your driving test. It may be different now but that is how it was 8 years ago, hhmm, didn't realize it until now but I have been driving quite a while and might be out the of the loop. :(

Princesss04
May 20th, 2005, 10:14 AM
Honeybee I was getting ready to ask the same thing. Here in the states, you take a written test for your permit than you take a driving test for your drivers license than you are finished. You have to take another test if you want to drive buses and stuff like that but not to be on the road and it does not change your insurance cost. :D Insurance is high when you get out on your own. I know mine was about 50 US dollars a month with Dad and now it is more, never had a wreck ticket nothing. Just getting married and getting on your own raises it. :D

raingirl
May 20th, 2005, 10:38 AM
In Ontario they have a stupid system. When I was 15 they changed it (about 10 years ago) to a "Graduated License" system.

Before, it was the same as you guys. You take a written test, get your permit, and you take your driving test when you are ready, and you get your full license.

Here now, you take your written test ($100) to get a G1. With a G1 you cannot drive alone, someone with at least 4 years experience must be with you at all times. You have to wait 12 months of being on a G1 before you are allowed to take your test for a G2 ($40 each time). If you take a drivers course, you can shorten that time and take your test after 8 months. After you take your G2 Test, you can drive ALMOST like a normal driver, except you aren't allowed to drink, and aren't allowed to have more people than there are seat belts in the car. There is no time limit before you can take the test for your full license, which is a G ($70 each time), but you have to take it within 5 years of your original written test.

This new system has a high failure rate, but is supposed to make drivers better. I just see it as a money grab. I have spent...$350 so far on tests and still don't have a full license. While I was at University, my license expired, and I was able to extend it until I could take a G test. And because I failed that test, I lost my license completely, and had to start FROM THE BEGINNING!! I had to retake the written test, retake the G1 to G2 test...and here I am now.... I have one more year before my license expires and I have to pass my G test in that time or I have to start all over again...again!

It also sucks because...say you have had your license for 20 years, and you accidently forget to renew it. You know what happens? You can't just go and renew and get your old license back anymore, You have to start ALL OVER AGAIN as if you never had a license before. How stupid is that? I know someone that happened to, and she didn't know. She let her license expired and she missed renewing it by a few days. She went into the office, and they told her she had to take a written test...fine, so she did. She got her license, and she thought it was all back to normal and started driving. Well..she got in an accident. When the officer saw she only had a G1, she was like "what's a G1??". She didn't know she had been bumped down to what is basically a lerners permit. She got major fines and sued and all kinds of things, and her insurance wouldn't cover the accident (which was her fault) because she was driving against the rules of the G1.

Lizzie, I thought about that, but I called all the places/names in our yellow pages, and no one offers such a course or option. All of them are at least $350 for 10 in car lessons...and that was the minimum. I was thinking I only need maybe 3... That's something I was hoping to do a while ago and so many people have suggested it, but I can't find anyone to do it.

honeybee4
May 20th, 2005, 10:47 AM
What a hassel just to get your licenses. I think we have graduate license here, but I am not fully sure of how it works. My licenses expires tomorrow, I better get down there today and get it renewed in cases it has changed. My BF went for 1 1/2 years driving with an expired licenses. The only reason we noticed was because I change insurance companies and they needed a copy of his license. He just went to Service NB and got another one no questions asked, this was two years ago. That system sure does sound like a money grab. I feel for you. :mad:

JDG
May 20th, 2005, 10:50 AM
Raingirl, I think you and are about the same age. . . I was one of the first people 'stuck' with graduated licences (I grew up just outside Toronto). . .

I do think I am a better driver because of all the extra time it took to be a fully licened driver. . .

I failed my G Exit test a couple times, but I got one of those refresher courses like Lizzie suggested right before my test. . . . . mine was a 3 lesson course with 'YD'.

1st lesson about a week before the test
2nd lesson day before the test
3rd lesson an hour before the test

'Wheels' also offers a similar course (but I'm not sure if thats just a Halton Region driving school)

The failure rate in Ontario of the G test is something like 65-75%!!! (or it was when I did mine) ahhh its so nice to be a statistic! hahah! ;) :rolleyes:

I think you are right, its just a stupid ploy to make money off people. . .

Good luck Raingirl!!

Lizzie
May 20th, 2005, 10:51 AM
That's werid. They are very common here in Eastern Ontario.

Here's a few that say they offer a refresher course:

http://www.licensingoffice.com/ads/driving%20school%20ads/Tony's%20Driving%20School.html

http://berniesdrivingschool.com/pages/schedule.html (says they have them at the bottom of the page)

Beaglemom
May 20th, 2005, 11:00 AM
I got my license before the graduated licensing came into effect. Boy am I glad!!! I've heard that it is much more difficult now than it was back when I got mine!!!

I want to get my motorcycle license and the only thing stopping me is the highway test!!! I don't agree with having to put someone on a highway who hasn't had much experience in merging or the speed. It can be very dangerous. I really wish I had gotten my motorcycle license before the graduated licensing system came into effect.

If you can, do get some practice lessons. I have heard of some driving schools that offer per lesson courses and not just packages. The place that I took my manual shift lessons offered individual lessons or packages.

SnowDancer
May 20th, 2005, 11:35 AM
First thought I had was Aurora as well - as so many others have pointed out. My friend went there. Wonder when Aurora will catch on.

honeybee4
May 20th, 2005, 12:01 PM
This first time I drove on the highway in toronto, I was petrified. I was so scared. but after awhile you just learn that you have to drive like all of them, very aggresivly. Driving here is so much different, very laid back. At supper time there isn't half as many people on the highway as there is during the slow time in TO, if there is one. Every year I get less afraid driving up there. I don't know how you guys live is such a busy place. two weeks a year is enough for me. but it is a really nice place with lots of stuff to do unlike here.

greaterdane
May 20th, 2005, 12:20 PM
They make you drive on the highway up there? Make a request that they don't make you drive highway, there is no reason for that!

My G test actually said highway test on it. I am positive that you have to drive on the highway to pass. Everyone once in their life will be on the highway, this is why they make you drive on it.

The test in my opinion is pointless because you are under so much stress. I too failed my first one. Just stupid mistakes that I can easily correct, its not like I tried to kill the tester lol. I have another test coming up, but I am not saying the date, just in case I fail lol

greaterdane
May 20th, 2005, 12:26 PM
raingirl, if you are willing to drive a bit St.Catharines offers the before test refresher courses and they are cheap as well. I am taking my test in Brantford during non rush hour. I grew up there so I know the streets better then St.Catharines/

raingirl
May 20th, 2005, 01:39 PM
Can you beleive this? Since I posted my message last night, my parents have called another three times because they don't beleive me that the earliest date I could get was July!

They don't want me to drive on their insurance anymore because if I get in an accident, it affects their insurance. I understand that. But all the quotes I'm getting to get my own are way to much for me, because I only have a G2. If I have my G, the price goes down by more than 50%. So I have explained to my parents over and over there is nothing I can do until I get my G. They actually had me in tears today while I was out running errands. I was sitting in the car explaining to them how the booking system works and they still wouldn't beleive me. They keep saying "while, we contacted the Square One locations, and they said you could go for a test tomorrow"...There is no Square One Location! I don't know who they called, but there aren't even any locations in Mississauga!! They don't beleive me because they are getting mixed info from the wrong people!

Mommyof2bullies, my parents actually suggested going to Brantford as well. They said "why not go there and visit your grandmother while you are there".

I told them that you are only allowed to check 3 times online per day for a date, then you have to wait till the next day. July is the earliest time I have found so far. And once you book, you can't even check for closer dates.

greaterdane
May 20th, 2005, 01:44 PM
Raingirl, The earliest I could get in Brantford is June 6th, wasnt going to say the date lol just in case I fail.
I booked that at the end of april so I am sure even they are full until July. With all the highschool kids getting out of school they are all wanting their tests so they can start driving without mom and dad. Thats what the lady at the examination place told me. I had to get an extension on my license because I couldnt get a test in time.

raingirl
May 20th, 2005, 02:02 PM
Yeah...that's what the lady my parents spoke to said. She told them I could get a test within days now, but as soon as the students come out, they are all booked. Makes sense.

You used to be able to check for closer dates on the phone system even if you had a test booked, but now you can't. That's stupid.

My mom just called and apologized. She said just go with it and *hope* I don't get in any accident.

Lizzie
May 20th, 2005, 02:06 PM
If you call during the day and speak to a representative you could likely get an earlier date. You can also book and then keep checking...we did that here. If you check regularly you can usually find an opening.

Honestly, it's not really that big of a deal....there are MANY locations to take the test...if you can drive around you can likely select a more reasonable location to administer the test--perhaps somewhere less intimidating than the big city.

I have to side with your parents on this one. There comes a time when you just have to get things over with....while I understand that you have anxiety over it, I honestly think that you'll feel much better once it's done with. Also, I think it would help you a lot to take one of the refresher courses. Call Young Drivers and hook yourself up.....you got bad info on the phone...there ARE refresher courses for cheap...whoever told you their aren't was wrong!

raingirl
May 20th, 2005, 02:46 PM
I asked the YD near me and they said they don't have refresher. I just emailed them again to see. I kinda hope they do.

You can't check for closer dates once you have booked, it won't let me. I only get the option to cancel or book another appointment. If I choose the option to book another appointment it says I can't because I already have it booked. That's the online system.

Does anyone have the phone system number because I can't find it anywhere on the MTO website.

I agree with my parents, but it's just annoying because we had a deal worked out where I would rent the car and pay them for insurance, and now they want to change it all of the sudden (I literally had 3 days notice).

All the quotes I have been getting for insurance are so expensive with my G2-like $250 a month! That's expensive right?? I thought I should be able to get it for a lot less then that.

Lizzie
May 20th, 2005, 02:51 PM
What kind of car is it (year, make, model)? Your rated higher for your location and for the fact that you will use your car for work too (that's right right?).

Do you have any accidents in your past?

Princesss04
May 20th, 2005, 03:41 PM
Your driving system is so much more differant than ours is. I think they do alot of that just to make money. I do not think it is all nessecary but that is just me and my opinion I guess I do not make the laws. LOL :D

raingirl
May 20th, 2005, 03:41 PM
Actually, that's the quote I'm getting for pleasure only. I don't think we are in a high rated area though, as we are 10 minutes from farm land. And it's an old car (21 years) so I'm only getting the basic coverages like Liability and AB...and that's it. And I've never had an accident or a ticket at all EVER!

I finally found one company that was under $200..and I should be able to afford that. They only had a 10% dif for having a G...so the G2 was $160 per month and with a G $141 per month. That I can afford.

I called my mom and told her that...she was less stressed knowing I can take the car now any time.

I'm really hoping YD does offer a refresher like what JDG did. That I would LOVE!

greaterdane
May 20th, 2005, 03:47 PM
$250? I would love to be paying $250 and I am sure James would too lol
I pay $330 and James is at about $400. I have had no accidents that count against my insurance and no tickets. It sucks how they prey on the young people. James got his G2 and it only lowered his insurance by $25 a month.

SarahLynn123
May 20th, 2005, 05:56 PM
$250? I would love to be paying $250 and I am sure James would too lol
I pay $330 and James is at about $400. I have had no accidents that count against my insurance and no tickets. It sucks how they prey on the young people. James got his G2 and it only lowered his insurance by $25 a month.

WHAT!!!!!!!!per month?????? That is insane. Im 22 and pay $125/month my bf is 27, drives a much newer/nicer vehicle then I and pays far less then me. Less then $100 for sure!

greaterdane
May 20th, 2005, 06:49 PM
I'm turning 22 and my car is a 2000 grand am 2 door so they consider this a sports car, james is 23 and drives an eagle talon, ranger and a lincoln not all at once of course lol

What company are you with that offers such great rates?

Lizzie
May 20th, 2005, 09:35 PM
State Farm has terrific rates. We have a 2001 and two people under 25 driving and we only pay 180 a month for the two drivers.

greaterdane
May 20th, 2005, 10:01 PM
Thanks so much Lizzie, are you in Ontario?

jiorji
May 20th, 2005, 10:07 PM
G tests ARE highway tests. If you request that you don't do it i bet you 120% they'll make you do it, or fail you. They'll assume you can't do it.

I have to book mine too and i was told my mom's friend had to do parallel parking for a G test. think the instructor was a bit confused! No way i can do parallel with my station wagon LOL.

greaterdane
May 20th, 2005, 11:20 PM
Since I have the failed G test in my car I can tell you whats on it lol

They get to pick from 3 things

Parallel parking

road side stop

three point turn

Prin
May 21st, 2005, 12:04 AM
I thought being a Quebecer, I'd be out of the loop in this one, but the license procedures are almost the same. When I got my license 9 years ago (wow I'm gettin' old), you had to take 24 hours of theory to get your permit, and once you had your permit, you had to do 24 hours of driving at a driving school and you to wait 90 days till you could get your probationary license (for 2 years), which at the time was 10 demerit points, but got reduced to 4 in 1997 or 98.

Now, you don't HAVE to do the lessons, but if you don't you have to keep your learner's for 12 months. If you do the lessons, it's 8 months.

I got my license on day 93 after my permit. I passed by one mark. My guy was an a**. My brother scored higher than me and he went the wrong way on a one way street... It's not a fair system.

Good luck. Just relax. Life is an adventure. You just have to try to make it fun (I know it's not easy).

When I got a job as a baggage handler, one of the tests was driving one of those buggies they have on the tarmac with a trailer!! I was a bit scared, but I was the only person of everyone (who hadn't ever worked on the tarmac) who did it successfully on the first shot. We had to do a zigzaggy course and then back up into a parking spot. Did I mention the trailer? And there was no power steering either. I loved it. By the end I was shaking so badly... So much fun. I love driving. We should start a thread about the most fun places to drive... I'm going... :)

kandy
May 21st, 2005, 01:58 PM
Boy am I glad that we don't have to go through all that to get a driver's license! Sounds like a long, drawn out process. I am assuming that they do this thinking that you will be a better driver - but has it decreased the amount of accidents or anything? My son is still on my insurance because he can't afford it on his own - he has a 2001 Grand Am and has 4 tickets on his record right now - he also has a CDL which is a commerical driver's license and allows him to drive semis and such. His insurance for full coverage costs me $117 US a month. He is 22. When he turns 25 it will drop dramatically or if he gets married **shudder** it will also drop. If I only carried liability on the car, it would probably only be about $60 or so a month.

Safyre
May 21st, 2005, 11:35 PM
When I took my G test, which was just under 2 years ago, I took it in the city in which i live..that being Chatham.
I did NOT have to go on the highway at all, infact, I never left the city, therefore never went more than 50 km/h
So it is not mandatory in all areas to do highway driving, unless they have changed that within the last 2 years. I can't find anything on the Ministry of transportation website for what needs to be gone when getting any class of licence.
I can find the restrictions, but not info on the actal road tests.

GTO
April 26th, 2006, 02:18 PM
Hi, I am in Ontario and failed my G2 3 times over stupid reasons, anyways I am just posting because my dad says, I have to start all over once I fail 3 times it that correct?

Let me know ASAP

Thanks everyone

GTO
April 26th, 2006, 02:19 PM
:ca:
Hi, I am in Ontario and failed my G2 3 times over stupid reasons, anyways I am just posting because my dad says, I have to start all over once I fail 3 times it that correct?

Let me know ASAP

Thanks everyone :grouphug:

Rick C
April 26th, 2006, 02:36 PM
Off-topic but I just find it kind of amazing that we all pass our drivers test once in our lives and pretty much never have to take it again. . . . . .

I think I got my drivers licence 31 years ago and the government hasn't got a clue if I remember how to back into a parallel parking space or if I routinely dive in head first like everyone else.

Sorry, just had to interrupt.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Luvmypit
April 26th, 2006, 03:40 PM
I did my G test about 4 months ago and passed... barely as the guy put it.

I had to get on the highway then get off at the next exit, then get back on to go back to where we where and exit again. I had to paralel park, 3 point turn and stop as if I was on a hill.

Raingirl it sounds like you went to the Victoria Terrece driving place? That place is the worse, you are lucky if you get out of the parking lot without hitting someone. I went to Meadowvale and Ellesmere one for both G2 and G. I passed both the first time but know tons of great drivers who are probably better then me fail.

Funny story: My sister in law went for her test a long long time ago. She was doing great. The tester said she had passed. Then she pulled into the parking lot and when parking hit a car. The guy was in his car and came out furious but when he found out it was her driving test he laughed his butt off and said that he will remember it for the rest of his life and said the damage was a good exchange for a great story. She was very lucky. Oh and she then failed.

jiorji
April 26th, 2006, 04:11 PM
:ca:

Let me know ASAP

Thanks everyone :grouphug:

you get 5 years to complete all your driving test levels. if your 5 years are up you do have to start all over, if not...you can retake your G2.
But if you've failed 3 times, i highly doubt it was for "stupid reasons". Perhaps you should take more driving lessons and pay attention. G2 is a pretty easy test, there's no reason to fail it 3 times.
I often marvel at the bad teen drivers out there and i wonder how they got a liscence lol

so maybe you should wait a bit until you get better at driving, then rebook your G2 test.
good luck

raingirl
April 26th, 2006, 06:47 PM
You can take your G2 test as many times as you want until your license expires.

luvmypit, yes, it was victoria terrace. HORRIBLE!!

I still haven't passed my G test, and my license expires in 2 months!! I am able to take my test up to one month after it expires, and I have been trying daily to schedule it on a weekend (Brampton just started opening on Saturdays for tests).

I think my problem is that my first ever driver test was with a horrible person, and it tainted me. Now I get panic attacks as soon as it starts and I get so scared, I screw up. Plus, I beleive I should have passed one of my tests before, since she told me that I failed because I sped on an an offramp, because I wasn't going to posted speed (yellow signs). I thought that was the suggested speed, so in my next test, I went the "suggested" speed, and he said i was going to slow!! So I think she just made up a reason to fail me the other time.

And the last time he made me parallel park between a car and a driveway, so I didn't have any curb to use as a point of reference in my mirrors. How evil is that?

THe funny thing is, they tell you to study the driver book before the test, and it doesn't mention ANYWHERE that those signs are the suggested speed, so how would anyone know unless they took drivers ed??

Anyway, I have a "refresher" course with a driver ed person this weekend. I am so panicing. I hope he is super nice.

I also think that I have slight dyslexia, so I over analyse everything the people ask. You know how they aren't allowed to answer questions in the test? I'm always afraid if they say, "please take the next right" do they mean street or if there is a plaza, turn there? The instructions are SOOOO vague.

free
April 26th, 2006, 07:02 PM
my daughter just got her g . she took a 2 hr lesson with her sisters instructor
and had him go over everything that could be on the test. she has problems backing into spots and parking. he not only told her what to do but gave lots of visual clues. have the instructor take you on the route the drivers licence will do they seem to know. you should do fine.

the other thing is that as long as you go before your licence expires he explained if you fail you can retake the test every 10 days and they will extend your g2 if you book after failing for upto 10 days

jiorji
April 26th, 2006, 07:04 PM
THe funny thing is, they tell you to study the driver book before the test, and it doesn't mention ANYWHERE that those signs are the suggested speed, so how would anyone know unless they took drivers ed??

I also think that I have slight dyslexia, so I over analyse everything the people ask. You know how they aren't allowed to answer questions in the test? I'm always afraid if they say, "please take the next right" do they mean street or if there is a plaza, turn there? The instructions are SOOOO vague.

I think driver's ed is very useful. They teach you how to drive. No wonder so many people fail. It's because they get an unprofessional driver(such as mom and dad) to teach them to drive, and they miss the little things.

secondly, dyslexia deals with reading not communication.:cool: hehe
And you're allowed to ask "take a right in the plaza or the street?" I haven't failed any driving tests and I have asked questions and i passed. I also got a good score. When in doubt you HAVE TO ASK! They fail you if you take a wrong turn, so why not ask?
It's not like you're asking "umm do i stop when the light turns yellow?"
i'm sure it'll be ok to ask for clarification on directions. The worst it can happen tehy can just say "I can't answer that"

ps. when there;s no curb...you use the edge of the grass/lawn to direct your parallel parking ;) ...and you never parallel on a driveway.:o

raingirl
April 26th, 2006, 07:11 PM
Actually, my parents are professional drivers (they have all kinds of licenses for trucks, buses, etc), and they were the ones that taught me. It's just that I panic, not that I'm a bad driver.

And they have found the dyslexia now covers more than reading problems. Here is the most modern definition:

"Dyslexia is a neurologically-based, often familial, disorder which interferes with the acquisition and processing of language. Varying in degrees of severity, it is manifested by difficulties in receptive and expressive language, including phonological processing, in reading, writing, spelling, handwriting, and sometimes in arithmetic.

Dyslexia is not the result of lack of motivation, sensory impairment, inadequate instructional or environmental opportunities, or other limiting conditions, but may occur together with these conditions"

and

"It is characterized by difficulties with accurate and/or fluent word recognition, and by poor spelling and decoding abilities."

My problem lies in the interpretation of verbal communications. I have some problems with written, as well. I don't have a lot of the typical problems associated with dyslexia, since I was find in school, I always read at a higher level, good at math, etc. My doc thinks I may have "adult onset dyslexia" which I hadn't heard of until she mentioned it.

mafiaprincess
April 26th, 2006, 08:28 PM
Raingirl, I feel your pain.. I have about 2 months to go take my G2 exit test too.. And I've been ignoring it, when I really should go book a few YD refesher days, and the test itself, but I'm so so scared..

mafiaprincess
April 29th, 2006, 02:03 AM
So I finally pull out my license to book a test. And low and behold my licence doens't expire till NEXT july.....

*dances* so much less pressure right now whooooo

raingirl
April 29th, 2006, 12:15 PM
Yay for you!

I just booked my test. You can book up until the end of the month which follows the month yours expires. So mine is after it expires, which means I need to go get a piece of paper to carry with my license that extends the expiry. I also got it booked for a saturday, because i can't take any days off work during the week.

I am going to try and get one sooner by checking all the time as well. I also may just show up at a centre early one morning and wait for a no-show.

I am hoping to get some "inside information" from my Young Drivers "refresher" course today. I will definately pass them on here!

mafiaprincess
April 29th, 2006, 01:17 PM
When I go I'm taking some YD refresher days too. My huge fear was not getting a test till like July, and I thought it expired this July.. and then losing my license when I have stuff I've gotta do if I don't pass.

Think I'll book one early next year or late this year so I have loads of time if I can't pass it...

Goodluck hun, I know how anxiety building it is.

raingirl
April 29th, 2006, 06:31 PM
Well, the YD guy was really nice. He thinks I'm a great driver. He taught me a few new things to make it impossible for them to fail me, and just offered some tips. I think I will do it again just before the test too.

I told him the reason I failed last time, and he wasn't surprised!! In Brampton, when you immediately get off the highway 410 from the southbound lanes to Steeles west THERE ARE NO SPEED LIMIT SIGNS at all. Now, I KNOW it's 80 km per hour there, but the laws of the road say if there are no signs, you MUST assume it's 50 km/h, which is what I did. The tester then failed me because I live in Brampton and KNEW it was 80, but went 50 (aparently going that low is a MAJOR deduction of points that would automatically fail anyone). The instructor I had said that he has had that problem before with testers, and he fought the results and won against the company! They aren't supposed to do that, yet they do to "meet their fail quotas".

He also said all his booking is done with YD and if I try, I can book a "lesson" on the day of my test, and he will let me do it in his car, and he will fight for me if they fail me for stupid reasons. He says that most testers are lenient on students from driving schools, since they know they have training, and if they fail them for stupid reasons the driving schools make a huge stink!

He said I had really a really good understanding of the space around my car, and that I was really good at parking and turns. My only problem is coming up to speed quick enough. I hate going fast, so I always excellerate slowly, and if I see a red light ahead or a stop sign, I don't speed up, and just coast since there is no point. But he says they will fail you for that. He said the best thing to do is when you come to a new street or turn, IMMEDIATELY analyse what the speed should be and get up to it quickly, and maintain it. If you feel you need to go slower, just tell the tester why (lots of cars, people, kids, construction) and they CANNOT fail you for being cautious.

I have my test booked, but he also said if I go on a saturday morning at 8:30 AM right when they open, and if I am first in line and wait for a no-show, I will most likely get a test the same day. Thank goodness I have a laptop I can bring along to play games or watch a DVD to kill time!