Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hissing for no reason

JDG
May 19th, 2005, 08:01 PM
My neighbour in our appartment building has a huge 25lb long hair grey cat - she is beautiful!

Yesterday we were chatting in the hall (both our doors open) Minou ran out of my appartment and into hers, where this cat is. . .

. . .The big cat hissed at Minou, needless to say she was a little spooked.

Today she hissed at Marty all day. He would go near the food dishes, she would hiss. He went to the litter boxes, she would hiss. She even hissed at him when he walked by her.

Now the weird thing is she never appeared to be defending herself, or annoyed or angry - - - its like she was doing it 'because she can'. . . .

She was completely her normal self, except for this random hissing (and only at Marty, never to me)

. . . Is that weird or what?

Safyre
May 19th, 2005, 08:12 PM
Reading your story I couldn't help but laugh. If I remember correctly, Minou is just a young kitten, right? maybe he/she has never heard a real hiss and was epxerimenting and figured how to do it.
If it is not really protecting, just doing it , I wouldn't too worried about the behaviour.

JDG
May 19th, 2005, 08:19 PM
Safyre,

Yup she is 12 weeks old. . . . :) :)

I would have thought she had heard a little hissing before, her mom used to hiss a bit at Kayla the doggie. . . .

phewwww. . . i'm glad she's normal! :P

Safyre
May 19th, 2005, 08:23 PM
Be happy she can hiss, my cat haylee couldn't actually hiss for close to a year... she would try and it sounded more like a cough . It was great :p

I havn't heard my new lil one hiss yet, it'll be great to hear, they are soo cute at this age

JDG
May 19th, 2005, 08:30 PM
haha, I never thought of it that way. . .

. . .in retrospect, it was actually quite funny. . . she would hiss at Marty, and almost be smiling about it. . . very coy!

Marty being the laid back softie he is basicly kept doing his thing, if he could shrug his shoulders, I'm sure he would have done so saying

'ennnnhhhhh, whateva!'

Lucky Rescue
May 19th, 2005, 10:08 PM
What happened is that the other cat scared and stressed Minou, and now she is using her brother as a target to release her fear.

Something like this can cause a real problem, but hopefully since she is so young, she may get over it.

If not, you 'll have to separate them and introduce them as though they are strangers.

JDG
May 19th, 2005, 10:11 PM
Lucky, thanks for the info. . .good to know!

I don't think I am going to re-introduce my kittens to the neighbours cat any time soon. . .on purpose or by accident. . .

. . . and as for these two, they are both curled up on my lap together purring away. . .

I think they are buddies again. . . . :love:

Lucky Rescue
May 19th, 2005, 10:15 PM
I think they are buddies again

Glad to hear it!:D