Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Doggie Acting Like A Momma Cat

Safyre
May 19th, 2005, 06:44 PM
Alright, just need to know if this is normal or not.
Ever since we got Dallas(8 week old male kitten) home on Sunday, Justice (female retreiver 1.5 yrs) has taken over acting like his mommy.

If Dallas is out if Justice's sight, she has to get up to see where he is. Justice has even picked Dallas up and brought him to his bed.
That bothered me, Justice is not a huge dog, but way bigger than a 8 week old kitty.

Justice runs to Dallas if one of the other cats hisses at h im, or if he neows, ... I just don't know if this is normal, as I've never had a dog/kitten into before.
How do we get her to realize that she is not momma and doesn't have to protect him?

As well, since I am creating a post, is there anything specific that ducks should not eat? We have a pair of ducks, that are now brigning thier firends, to eat bird seed in my front yard. There is corn in the bird seed, which i thought I read somewhere is bad for them ...?

SnowDancer
May 19th, 2005, 06:52 PM
In 1976 while walking our Beagle on a cold Nov. night in Ottawa, he noticed a white, deaf cat in the snow. He pulled us over to the cat and started to pick her up - so obviously we complied. She was very young, but as it turned out old enough to be pregnant. She was also a very smart cat - more like a dog actually - while he was shall we say a less than brilliant dog - so you know who ruled the roost. Except he would protect that cat at all costs. When the kittens were born, he decided he must be the father. We had this huge box Mom, kittens and the 25 lb. Beagle were all in it together. He helped her take care of them - she was too young to be a mother. Eventually kittens tried to nurse. Really cute. So I wouldn't worry - could be the opposite - that would cause concern.

Safyre
May 19th, 2005, 07:24 PM
I was only concerned cuz Justice is 35 lbs or so, nice sized doggy, and i was scared she was going to hurt lil Dallas. She is just protecting it seems.
thanks for the reply :)

Beaglemom
May 20th, 2005, 09:30 AM
While I was growing up we had a female cockapoo that weighed approximately 30lbs and was 15 inches tall. She adored cats. Everytime we brought a kitten home, she would let them try and nurse. She would take these kittens as if they were her own puppies! She was very protective of them as well.