Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

losing sleep- need advice!

kayla
May 19th, 2005, 03:05 PM
I'm worried about Momma Cat. She sleeps all day because me and my bf are at work, then wants to play at night when we sleep. I feel really bad because I feel like she is getting neglected. I have a really small living space for her and my dog, they each get a room to hang out in during the day. In the evening I walk Kayla, then come back and take Momma Cat to the yard on a leash and let her sniff around and give her pets, but she's usually pretty tired at this point and not into playing or anything. Then at around 3am she starts meowing and running around the bedroom and batting her jingling balls and whatnot and it is keeping us awake. I'm not sure what to do about it! One thing I was thinking is making her an indoor/outdoor cat. I know there are some people on this board really against the idea of an outdoor cat, but I feel like it is so cruel to keep her locked up in this little space :confused:

I don't know what to do here. How can I keep her more entertained without having to get up at 3am to play with her? Should I let her go outdoors if she wants? I'd love any input anyone has since I'm at a loss of ideas (and sleep) here!

Blaze01
May 19th, 2005, 03:11 PM
My situation is the same I work from 8-5 monday through friday so I dont get to spend alot of time with Blaze...but I think he plays with the tons of toys he has during the day. He goes to bed with me around ten but every night he gets up at two in the morning. He wants to be loved and petted and purrs so loudly that it keeps me up for about a hour...I dont really know what to do about it most of the time i will pet him for awhile but if he wont stop I will put him out of the bedroom (im a bad mommy) Play with Momma Cat when you get home from work or wear her out before you go to bed. Thats the best advice i can give sorry i am a new cat owner.

Sneaky2006
May 19th, 2005, 03:17 PM
If you can live in that small space, so can a cat. (I am one of those people who don't agree with outdoor cats)
I can't sleep with my cats in the bedroom, I keep the door closed at all times, this way they know it is off limits, even during the day.

Princesss04
May 19th, 2005, 03:19 PM
I think that your cat would rather be inside safe with you and not get to see you alot than outside without you. Please do not make her an outside cat! I am also one of those people that are against it. :D

Lucky Rescue
May 19th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Another cat for her to play with would be the best solution. My cats play for hours every night, and I dont' hear a peep out of them when I go to bed.

If you let her out you are risking her getting lost, being attacked by dogs, other cats and cruel people, being poisoned, run over or taken.

Safyre
May 19th, 2005, 06:16 PM
You stated that the dog and cat each have a room... are they seperated during the day, or am I mis reading? Do they get along?

I would suggest getting another cat as well, single cats tend to get bored easily.

CyberKitten
May 19th, 2005, 07:25 PM
Please do not make her an indoor outdoor cat if you truly value her! It is much too dangerous now to allow a cat to roam and you may loose her to God knows what! It is not unusual for cats to want to play all night - they need to adjust to your schedule. Can you find time to play with her when you get home or do she and the dog not play?

kayla
May 19th, 2005, 07:51 PM
If you can live in that small space, so can a cat.

Thing is I don't live in this small a space, I merely sleep here, I would go crazy if I were locked in here. I can see people's point about keeping a cat indoors, and in fact intended to keep Momma indoors. But I also personally think that if it were me I would rather take risks and live a more enriching life than lock myself up for fear of all the things that can kill or hurt me out there. (I don't want to start up a debate though since I'm sure it has been debated to no ends already). But as I said if I can offer her an enriching life indoors I would rather do that.

You stated that the dog and cat each have a room... are they seperated during the day, or am I mis reading? Do they get along?

They are separated when I'm not here. They get along but my dog is a puppy and can play rough and I don't want to come home to find out she thought Momma Cat was one of her toys..

LuckyRescue and Safyre: My bf is going to hate you both for setting the wheels in my head a turning :p I don't think I should adopt a cat permanently since there is a cat in my apt back in Montreal and three cats and a dog might get hectic, but maybe I will look into fostering one for the summer.. Yeah right, look what happened to my last "temporary' foster :rolleyes: Well, guess I will look into that option.

Oh yeah, and Blaze I can't lock her out of my bedroom since that is where her litter and food is. I opted not to leave Kayla in the bedroom and Momma in the kitchen because there is much more stuff for Kayla to rip apart in the bedroom and I don't like her in here unattended.

Lucky Rescue
May 19th, 2005, 09:13 PM
I don't want to debate either, but
But I also personally think that if it were me I would rather take risks and live a more enriching life than lock myself up for fear of all the things that can kill or hurt me out there.

There is really no comparison between an intelligent adult human being negotiating the world, and a cat being outside and having no defenses against the dangers it encounters. Cats do not make informed choices.

You are not likely to be scared off, get lost,never find your way home again, and starve in an alley, nor are you likely to be attacked and injured by cats, or kids,or eat poisoned meat someone throws at you.;)

Cats can't phone for help either.

Safyre
May 19th, 2005, 09:37 PM
I'm not one to argue with you... you do what you feel is best for your situation. Sorry about getting your wheels turning for another catthere, its just sorta known that two gets are better than one ;-)
Maybe the cat is getting bored having only one room... have you ever thought to crate train the dog, allowing the cat the room to roam the apt? I dunno what else to suggest.

kayla
May 19th, 2005, 10:11 PM
have you ever thought to crate train the dog, allowing the cat the room to roam the apt?

If I locked my dog in a crate the whole day I would have a 70lb hyper animal instead of an 8lb hyper animal on my hands! And thinking of her locked up in a crate.. :(

I thought more about fostering/getting a second cat and am having doubts. I feel like if I don't even have time for one I shouldn't get a second. If they don't get along then I'd have to find time for two.. It could go really well or not very well at all, I just don't know if I should take the risk..

Maybe I should get a goldfish for her to watch, she always liked staring at my fish in Mtl :p I guess for now though I will just move her litter etc into the kitchen at night and hopefully it won't confuse her too much moving from room to room every day and night.

Blaze01
May 20th, 2005, 09:47 AM
Why do you just leave it in the kitchen? If you dont have time for one cat I dont think you should get another either. Please dont put your kitty outside! Are the puppy and the cat not use to each other yet?

JDG
May 20th, 2005, 09:55 AM
Kayla the dog and momma cat DO get along, but Kayla is still a pup. . .and a BIG puppy at that, she sometimes gets a little over excited and plays a little rough. Momma cat is very petite and slight.

I think Kayla (the person) is worried about Kayla the dog hurting momma cat if there isn't anyone there to supervise. . .

When Kayla brings Kayla the dog and Momma cat back to Montreal at the end of the summer, there are other cats (and fishies) there. . .

. . .I think Kayla is looking for some advice on what to do with Momma over the summer while they are away from Montreal. . . .

mesaana
May 20th, 2005, 10:28 AM
Can't you just put a baby fence or something similar where the cat could jump over it to get to your room and get peace and quiet from the dog? That way she still has access to the whole house.

Lyne

Blaze01
May 20th, 2005, 11:39 AM
Can't you just put a baby fence or something similar where the cat could jump over it to get to your room and get peace and quiet from the dog? That way she still has access to the whole house.

Lyne

Thats a good idea! :thumbs up

babyrocky1
May 20th, 2005, 11:56 AM
This idea is expensive but somethig I had to resort to temporarilly, Rocky seemed to have Insomnia for a while, he started waking me up in the middle of the night. There was nothing medically wrong with him so eventually I bought, from the vet, something called DAP. Its like a glade plug in (air freshener) it releases mammel
mommy Pherimones, (no idea how to spell that, anyways humans cant smell it and it calms the dog or cat supposedly, it worked for my dog. I used it for a month and it broke the pattern. He now sleeps through the night again. Ofcourse cats naturally like to play at night, but this might work till your pup and kitty are ready to be left alone together through the night. It cost 100.00 though so be forwarned and its not guaranteed to work! I was so desperate after not sleeping properly for weeks that I finally tried it, and it did definately work cause placebos dont work on dogsLOL

kayla
May 20th, 2005, 02:12 PM
Kayla the dog and momma cat DO get along, but Kayla is still a pup. . .and a BIG puppy at that, she sometimes gets a little over excited and plays a little rough. Momma cat is very petite and slight.

I think Kayla (the person) is worried about Kayla the dog hurting momma cat if there isn't anyone there to supervise. . .

When Kayla brings Kayla the dog and Momma cat back to Montreal at the end of the summer, there are other cats (and fishies) there. . .

. . .I think Kayla is looking for some advice on what to do with Momma over the summer while they are away from Montreal. . . .

Exactly. Sorry, I dont always explain myself so well.

mesaana: I actually did something similar to a baby gate. I got a long hook and put it in the door which kept it open enough for Momma to get through but not Kayla. Unfortunately Kayla lurked right outside the door and Momma didn't even go through, she only likes Kayla sometimes, if I'm around, most of the time she stays away. Also, the "whole house" is only a two roomed basement, so don't know how much of a difference it would make if she had access to all of it.

The DAP sounds interesting, maybe as a last resort.. I'm also thinking of a terrarium/fishtank for her to watch, if anyone has any ideas there please let me know! (I started a new thread "terrarium")