Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

sunblock brands

lilith_rizel
May 19th, 2005, 12:05 PM
Ok, the Doctor said that we either have to put a dark colored shirt on Judith, or put sunblock with atleast an spf of 40 on her incision before she goes outside, even if it is just to the store, to prevent bad scaring. What brand would be good for her. I know there is coppertone, banana boat, and possibly no-ad (which is the brand I use on myself). So far they say 6 months and up. The lotion won't harm her, will it? I hate the fact that I have having to dress her is blue all the time. Everyone thinks she is a boy!!! And looks at me wierd when I tell them she is a girl......

Eleni
May 19th, 2005, 12:06 PM
there is a waterbabies sunblock that is spf of 50, and its water resistant, not water proof tho, i use it on the kids

Eleni

happycats
May 19th, 2005, 12:10 PM
I never put sunblock on my son before 6 months of age, I just used one of those clamp umbrelas, and attached it to wherever he was.
after 6 months i used baby sunblock 40 spf :)

Lizzie
May 19th, 2005, 12:47 PM
I would call the doctor's office and get a name from them or ask a pharmacist. I mean no offence at all, but the safety of your baby is far too important to gage the popular opinion on brands for an infant. They SHOULD have told you as they would have known that it's uncommon for young babies to wear sunblock...but alas, they didn't. So, my suggestion, get calling!!

lilith_rizel
May 19th, 2005, 01:48 PM
I did ask, and they said coppertone,and banana boat, are good, But which of these I am going to use is what I am trying to decide on. So far I think that Coppertone would be best. I guess I could always look at the ingrediants in each one. I would want one with as little alcohol right, dyes, and fragrances as possible right? With the heat here, it is best for Judith to be in lighter colors in the car..... It gets so hot.....

My mom always used water babies.... I think I will ask about that one. The sunblock is so expensive here, I just want to make sure I get the right one. She also has very fair skin, so I will ask about that as well..... In a month or so, she may be spending more time out in the porch while I do my gardening. We have this wonderful full screened in porch. The screen covers from the ceiling to the floor, and the floor is wooden, with indoor/ outdoor carpet. Perfect place for a small wading pool. And the porch even has a ceiling fan for the hotter days..... Of course, the pool won't be used unless I am going swimming too..... I told James I want to get a wading pool before Sunday, so I could leave Judith with him while I pick it up (have a small car). He doesn't know that I just want to get it, so I have a little pool to relax in during the summer. LOL

Eleni
May 19th, 2005, 02:13 PM
my kids have fair skin, and their doctor did ok me to use waterbabies on Tyler, who is just 5 months old.

but hes so close to 6 months that the differents is tiny, i was warned to be careful not to put it near his eyes, and not to get it on anything he might put on his mouth, for example his thumb

but yeah I agree double check with the doctor, I use waterbabies mostly because it seems to do the best, i found no-ad they still burnt even if i applied it as much as directed on the bottle.

not sure about coppertone, i diddnt try that one because its expensive.

Eleni

raingirl
May 19th, 2005, 02:26 PM
Have you thought about using plain old zinc Oxide (the stuff that is white)?? It's the best and safest sunscreen out there. It's also the major component in diaper cream so it is safe on babies

lilith_rizel
May 19th, 2005, 04:00 PM
It works as a sun block? If I would have know that, I would have tried it. And it does make sence, being that it blocks out moisture too. I think I will use that for the next month, atleast. She will be 6 months on the 27 of June, so I think we will wait to put all those chemicals on her body. And 90% of the time when she will have it on is when I have to take her somewhere, and the sun will only get her during transportation. As far as being outside when I am out, we have a screened in porch (more of a padio) and sun hardly ever shines in there while the overhang and the shed near by it.....

Zin oxide works great for diaper rash too.... Love it way better than Desitin! I got 2 tubes of it from the hospital, and the slightest sign of a rash, slap a little bit of that on there, and the problem is solved! I have been using that since we brought her home, and I don't even know where the Desitin is anymore.... Not like it matters though.

raingirl
May 19th, 2005, 04:17 PM
Yeah. We have it for odin for his wrinkles to dry them out...although he doesn't like us putting it on...

Rainy
May 19th, 2005, 05:33 PM
I had open heart surgery when I was 23.My Dr. told me to put zinc on my scar and NOT too tan it for at least 2 years. You can get a Zinc stick in funky colors and make a nice picture on her chest!Or the white :p

lilith_rizel
May 19th, 2005, 06:30 PM
Ywah, they told us that she has to have sunblock or a dark shirt on, for the next year, even if it is just to go out to the car..... They never said anything about zinc, but it is one of the things found in sunblock, and from what I found in reseach today, seems like it is the best thing too. Thanks guys.....