Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

If Fiberals out are Pit bulls in??

lezzpezz
May 19th, 2005, 10:16 AM
this may seem like a really stupid question, but I don't in any way, profess to understand much about politics....so here goes.....

If the Fiberals are voted out, what exactly happens to the pit bull legislation? Is it squashed, revoted on, passed or what?? Could this be the end of this nonsense legislation???

Copper'sMom
May 19th, 2005, 10:22 AM
I don't think anything changes because the bill has already passed. I'm not into politics so i really don't know for sure. We can hope something changes!!

GWPsRock
May 19th, 2005, 10:40 AM
When you say "Fiberals".....I assume you mean "Liberals"?

And, if the budget doesn't win the vote today...then, it would be considered a "non-confidence" vote, and the Liberals would have to step down. (So, I guess they would "sorta" be voted out....)

As for the Breed Ban - that is a provincial thing...so, Federal Jurisdiction doesn't apply.

(When you live in Ottawa and work for the feds, you end up following politics a bit more.)

I can tell you that the SSM bill hasn't passed yet.....so, if the Liberals don't win today's vote, an election will probably called, and until a new government is in, the SSM bill can't be passed. If a Conservative gov. gets in, the SSM bill is probably out the window.

hope that helps a bit.

Lizzie
May 19th, 2005, 10:54 AM
GWPs is right. BSL is out of the jurisdiction of Martin, Harper, Layton, Duceppe et al. Your Members of Provincial Parliament are responsible for addressing issues such as this one.

As for SSM, that is but one of the very many aspects of federal politics that may change depending on who is in government. I don't see how it relates to BSL...if there is an election, newspapers typically draft comparision tables to help people see the differing policies of the political parties.

lezzpezz
May 19th, 2005, 10:56 AM
I was hoping that it may have some drastic effect on all of this PB BS! It doesn't hurt to dream..... :rolleyes:

Lizzie
May 19th, 2005, 10:58 AM
Yeah we need to oust the provincial Liberals to stop the nonsense in Ontario. This time, Paul and friends have nothing to do with it...

GWPsRock
May 19th, 2005, 11:00 AM
I didn't imply that the SSM had anything to do with the BSL....I was just pointing out that the OP would have been correct in her thinking that a government change could change laws (if they haven't passed yet, which, unfortunately, isn't true for the BSL).

Copper'sMom
May 19th, 2005, 12:26 PM
uummmm.......what's SSSM? :confused:

GWPsRock
May 19th, 2005, 12:28 PM
Same Sex Marriage (nothing to do with BSL - just another controversial bill)

Copper'sMom
May 19th, 2005, 01:08 PM
OH ok, I thought i was missing something with BSL!

twodogsandacat
May 19th, 2005, 10:55 PM
Actually you prove a point. Many don’t fully know the difference between Federal or Provincial Liberals. I see that as a good thing. As more details come out regarding the inquiry it should lead to charges. Gomery has promised the findings by the end of the year. That should put some Liberals or Liberal supporters into the court system in 2006 and of course thru 2007. So the stink coming of the Feds will rub off on the Provincials.

In October 2007 the Provincial Liberals will have to deal with educating the public that they are not the same as the Federal Liberals. Possible slogans to educate the public “We’re the liars the crooks are in Ottawa”.

chico2
May 20th, 2005, 07:21 AM
Don't kid youselves,BSL is here to stay...maybe some amendments will be made..
If,by chance we would have another PC gov in Ontario in a few years,it would be the last thing on the Tories agenda,they are not known for their good hearts..any more than the Liberals.
Unlike us here on the Forum,the average Joe out there,only has one picture of a Pit-Bull and that is of a gnarling,killer dog :( and welcome BSL :evil:

twodogsandacat
May 20th, 2005, 07:38 AM
Actually nearly a full 25% of American States have laws prohibiting BSL. A successful court challenge may result in the same findings here.

The only upside to Bill132 is that it has presented the anti BSL groups with a large pool of funding to fight this. How many of us sent funds when pits were banned in KW – not too many. How many sent funds when Bill 132 was introduced?

If a court rules against it and the crown loses do you think the Tories or NDP will rewrite it? Do you think Bryant would? So have the law found unconstitutional or not based on fact and get the Liberals out of Ontario – the opposition parties won’t rush to reintroduce a new bill. Leave the Liberals in power and Bryant will have new legislation on the table the next day.

So there is hope but it requires the fight to continue and the Liberals out.

Akeeter
May 28th, 2005, 07:26 PM
They 'might' change or eliminate Bill 132 or put something better in it's place.
It probably depends on how much noise WE make. :grouphug: (good point above about it not likely being in the top 100 things on the Torie's radar, but if they get elected We need to put it up there with notes, phone calls, letters & emails.)

If a candidate comes to your door tell them what you think, or if you have a local all candidates meeting, show up in force & raise questions about BSL. (it's the only thing that will change this stupid piece :yuck: of legislation.)

babyrocky1
May 28th, 2005, 09:11 PM
[QUOTE=chico2]Don't kid youselves,BSL is here to stay...maybe some amendments will be made.."
I absolutely refuse to believe that! I do definately get your point about politicians of any stripe being reluctant to change the law, but, we will have to change public perception and we will have to win the legal challenge! If we allow ourselves to believe that this legislation is here to stay, well lets just say I find that inconceivable! Look whats going on with Jen Steele and family and thats just ONE family. This legislation is going to cause so much chaos, unfortunately mostly for those of us effected, but for people enforcing it, that truly know its wrong, and people paying for it, well they wont like that. I can't honestly even imagine what my immediate neighborhood will look like on August 29th. There are so many pit bull owners that still dont know how they willl be effected. I was just talking to a neighbour with a pit X that didn't know what it meant to register a dog! Ive had other pit X owners tell me that their dog is only 25% pit so they are SURE thats okay!!! Alot of people are going to have very rude awakenings and when innocent dogs are being dragged out of homes for no reason other than their breed, people are not going to be impressed with that! Most people don't understand the ramifications of this bill and once these dramas start to unfold, even people previously for the ban will think twice. One of our roles will be to make sure the media knows each and every time one of these horror stories happen! Media likes sensationalism, and they wont mind taking Bryant down one bit! At least thats what I ned to telll my self these days!

babyrocky1
May 28th, 2005, 09:25 PM
If a candidate comes to your door tell them what you think, or if you have a local all candidates meeting, show up in force & raise questions about BSL. (it's the only thing that will change this stupid piece :yuck: of legislation.)
Exactly, when elections come around the Arts Community always has some sort of door sign like Im a Singer, dancer, painter, etc and I VOTE and encourages people to ask particular questions to the candidate at the door. Co-op housing does the same thing. As a canvasser Ive had people ask all sorts of things and if I don't know where the candidate stands on an issue,Ive always been given a phone number where they will call and get an answer! I still hope we have legal legs before 2007, I don't think anyone but Bryant would appeal, especially if the legislation is causing the government problems and we have to make sure that it IS causing them problems! If a Federal eleciton is called I will be canvassing in Bryants riding for whoever the NDP runs. You know, just to practice :D