Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How do you tell if a PUPPY is overweight?

nymph
May 19th, 2005, 11:09 AM
Guidelines on ideal weight ADULT dogs are:

-that they should have visible waist
-that you can easily feel their ribs

Should I be worried if I can't easily feel my puppy's ribs? My 4-1/2 months old lab/golden mix puppy is a little over 35 lbs now. I've never thought he's overweight until I saw another puppy only 2 weeks younger than he is but visibly smaller and leaner just last night.

levimh
May 19th, 2005, 11:59 AM
I wouldn't be worried. It seems normal for a puppy to have a little extra fat. If he gets older and you still can't see his ribs too well, then try cutting down his food just a bit.

Levi is very lean, and it took me almost a year to add 8 pounds to him. He still looks skinny in different lighting. All dogs are different.

Prin
May 19th, 2005, 12:13 PM
I keep an eye on the belly. Some dogs carry the fat on their ribs and others can be fat as a whale and you still feel their ribs. Best check, I find, is to look at the line of the belly-- the line of the chest, turning into the belly should be in an angle toward the hip. The belly should never be horizontal (except maybe for dachs and maybe bassett hounds, I'm not sure how they are supposed to look)..

I tried to find one of my doggies that shows the curve, but the only good profile pic is a bit blurry. You can sort of see what I mean though.

kandy
May 19th, 2005, 05:31 PM
If you think your puppy is fat - you should check out Hazel! When we first brought her home I was seriously worried about her scraping her belly on things because it almost drug the ground! She is getting taller now, so there is more space between her belly and the ground - but she is still a little porker (no offense to any pigs, pot bellied or otherwise! :D ). She is so fat that her nickname is Pudget. Parker grew out of his baby fat and is quite a bit leaner (not to mention taller) so I think that Hazel will grow out of it too. I wouldn't worry about it just yet.

Safyre
May 19th, 2005, 07:14 PM
Have you checked with the vet about his weight? is he's only 4 1/2 mnoths, heshoulda got shots recently, did the vet mention his weight to you at all? itdoes seem a bit high to me, but it might just be yourdog. i would say checkwith the vet the next time you are there.

Karin
May 19th, 2005, 08:42 PM
Ciara weighed eactly 28 lbs when I brought her home at 16 weeks. She was not the runt but next tothe smallest of the litter, her dad weighed 135 lbs, mom 85 lbs. She weighs 81.5 lbs.

I prefer a toad looking puppy over a scrawny one anyday. Once those legs kick in, and his active puppy nature is full throttle..he'll look lean.
Puppies go through awkward growing spurts where their bodies tend to look out of proportion. If the puppy is healthy, why worry when he is still so young?

nymph
May 20th, 2005, 09:41 AM
Big thanks to everyone! :grouphug:

Prin: that was a great looking picture!

Safyre: last time we were at the vet, the good doctor told us:"He is perfect", so this may just be the never-ending worries of a paranoid mom spending way too much time online. :p

Karin: I'd prefer a chubby puppy as well, but all these articles online claim that dogs like humans are much more susceptible to a number of serious diseases like heart problem, diabetes and arthritis. I guess I really shouldn't worry since his mom is an 80 lbs+ lab mix.

Prin
May 20th, 2005, 01:54 PM
I thought I would just add one more thing (sorry if I'm being redundant)... In human studies they found that people who are fat in their youth are more likely to be obese as adults. If this applies to dogs, than the more fit a doggy is up to about 2, the better the chance of the doggy staying that way. Chubby is fine, but seriously overweight puppies have a really hard time dropping the weight the older they get.

I think a good appetite is very important in having a healthy puppy, but limits have to be set... I just see the really bad side of this sometimes: there's a 10 month old lab, shorter than Jemma, who is already 90lbs. He feeds her more per day than Boo gets. :eek: Just remember YOU decide how much your dog eats. Some dogs will be hungry no matter how much you feed.