-->

Dog attack in Ottawa:

Loki
May 19th, 2005, 10:27 AM
http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/OttawaSun/News/2005/05/18/1044628-sun.html

Wed, May 18, 2005

Dogs tied to attack on boys
By LAURA CZEKAJ, Ottawa Sun

Two dogs who allegedly killed a Shih Tzu who was out for a walk with its owner in Kanata Monday are also accused of attacking two boys seven years ago.

Lynne Moore said her son, Greg, who was a pre-teen at the time, and his friend were walking home when the dogs "started attacking them."

Moore said the boys were bruised but not seriously hurt, because of their heavy winter clothing. The dogs' owner made a court appearance on charges but there is no record of a conviction.

"I have been watching these animals for that long," said Moore.

OWNERS CHARGED

The boxers, Missy and Capone, are now eight. They allegedly escaped from their fenced-in backyard on Monday and killed Buttons the Shih Tzu on Equestrian Dr.

Buttons' owners, Jack and Judy Barbeau, want the boxers removed from the neighbourhood or euthanized to prevent future attacks.

The boxers' owners are charged with two counts of allowing the dogs to attack and bite and two counts of allowing them to run at-large.

One of the owners, who would not give his name, said the boxers don't get along with small dogs, but they "would never attack a person."

The owner is considering putting the dogs down and expressed regret over what happened to Buttons.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/OttawaSun/News/2005/05/19/1046639-sun.html

Thu, May 19, 2005

Dogs turned over to Humane Society
By LAURA CZEKAJ, Ottawa Sun

The owners of two boxer dogs accused of attacking and killing a Shih Tzu in a residential Kanata neighbourhood have voluntarily turned the dogs over to the Ottawa Humane Society.

The dogs will remain in quarantine for 10 days to ensure they don't have any illness or disease.

The eight-year-old boxers allegedly attacked Buttons the Shih Tzu who was out for a walk with her owner, Jack Barbeau, on Monday.

The boxers' owners have been charged by city bylaw services with two counts of allowing the dogs to attack and bite and two counts of allowing them to run at large.

Their decision to turn the dogs over to the Humane Society will not affect their charges or potential fines.

The same two dogs were previously accused of attacking two neighbourhood children seven years ago.

CONCERNED RESIDENTS

Barbeau and his wife, Judy, were seeking to have the dogs either removed from the community or destroyed.

Kanata Coun. Peggy Feltmate received several phone calls and e-mails from residents concerned about the dogs' presence in their neighbourhood before the owners surrendered them.

"People are concerned about community safety," she said. "This was a particularly violent incident."

laura.czekaj@ott.sunpub.com

nymph
May 19th, 2005, 10:35 AM
How sad, for the dogs! I live in Kanata as well.

Luvmypit
May 19th, 2005, 12:27 PM
Why in Pit bull forum though??

Loki
May 19th, 2005, 03:49 PM

Honestly, I wasn't going to post it at all. But I thought it might be of interest to some of the people in Ontario - in particular the part about the councillor talking about recieving complaints yada,yada. (I think we know the direction that can take).

I thought it was somewhat relevant to Ontario's BSL - so I put it in the BSL section.

Sorry if it's in the wrong spot.
Feel free to delete, or move it.

Luvmypit
May 19th, 2005, 03:54 PM
No makes sense... I was just wondering but your right!

babyrocky1
May 19th, 2005, 07:28 PM
It also points out that other breeds of dogs can be dog agressive, actually Im surprised it was even in the paper since the dogs werent pit bulls! I guess now Boxers will have to watch their doggy buts, they might start another whitch hunt since they sold so many newspapers with sensationalised pit bull storys! : :sad:

nymph
May 20th, 2005, 04:46 PM
I read in the paper (forgot which one) that the owners of the 2 boxers "voluntarily" turned these 2 dogs to the OHS. I wonder what's going to happen to the dogs, it's really really sad. :sad:

Loki
May 20th, 2005, 05:34 PM
The way I took the second Sun article, I thought the boxers would live. It sounded like they were going to be quarantined for 10 days - to check for illness. I'm not sure though.

I assumed that OHS would try to find the dogs new homes - provided their temperament was ok. I guess it would be difficult to find a home for an 8 year-old pair, though.

I recall reading somewhere (National Post, I think) that the shih tzu's owner was offered a free puppy, from a breeder in the area. I'm not sure if they accepted it, though.

ancarett
May 22nd, 2005, 11:39 AM

I'd say that because as far as most people are concerned, a boxer is a pit bull. So is any dog with a smooth coat and a slightly squared face that's larger than a tin can. :mad: