-->

Question

Eleni
May 19th, 2005, 08:41 AM
question sicne my parenting message board is down and i cant ask there

my baby is a thumb sucker!!

wich I dont mind its a self soothing thing im sure

but his thumb is red and raw from sucking it so much

any ideas on how to heal it when he wont keep it from his mouth??

im worried he will ingest anything I put on it but it looks so red and irritated that im not sure I should leave it alone

any ideas??

Eleni

BMDLuver
May 19th, 2005, 08:47 AM
put those little mitts on, you know the one's that go over their hands that have no fingers at all in them? That way he can suck on the mitt instead and give his thumb a chance to heal up a bit.

Lizzie
May 19th, 2005, 09:27 AM
What about giving him a soft soother to suck on? Perhaps if you gradually give him softer soothers he could even be weaned off of the thumb sucking routine. It's not something you want him doing when his teeth start coming in as it can/will manipulate his teeth.

Eleni
May 19th, 2005, 09:42 AM
yeah I know thumb sucking is bad for teeth,

I started him on a pacifier, however the minute he found his thumb, he was in love LOL

im gonna try the mitts, not sure why I diddnt think of it before now.

he hasnt any teeth just yet, and I dont see any coming but in case its teething ill give him a frozen teething toy

Eleni

CyberKitten
May 19th, 2005, 12:26 PM
Yep, thumb sucking is a major problem in pediatric dentistry. That said, you need to be patient. Although thumb sucking is an unattractive habit, many children can't help themselves. Take the time with your child needs to eliminate the habit gently and gradually, rather than criticizing or punishing. Most of the stopgap measures are just that but having him wear a glove or sock on her hand while he sleeps is OK as is putting a bright bandaid (with his fav cartoon character maybe?) on it to remind him NOT to suck his thumb.

Also,offer activities that his hands busy: crayons or pencils and paper, squishy balls or toys to fiddle with, or models and puzzles to work on.
and think about working out a reward or praise system, using stickers and a chart or calendar. Most importantly, do NOT do it quickly!!

Eleni
May 19th, 2005, 01:39 PM
hes 5 months old hehe

I highly doubt that he can be resoned with to stop sucking his thumb, im jsut looking to heal it for the time being

Eleni

lilith_rizel
May 19th, 2005, 01:56 PM
Oh boy, I hope Judith doesn't start sucking her thumb so much that it turns raw. She has learned how to take off those scratch mitts a while back.....

I know my sister-in-law had a bad sucking habbit. They had to put hot sauce on her thumb to stop it, but she was 5 or 6 when they did that..... much older than an infant....

Eleni, I don't know what to suggest. If you find something that truely works let me know.....

kandy
May 19th, 2005, 06:46 PM
I'm sure that you wouldn't put anything on the thumb itself if its raw - I can't even imagine how much that would sting! :eek: I would try the sock thing. If you think he can get the sock off, you could find one long enough to go up his whole arm and duct tape the sock to his shirt sleeve so that he couldn't pull it off - it might look strange but at least it would give his thumb a chance to heal. All hail the many uses of duct tape! LOL I chewed my nails from the time I was a little girl until I was about 25 or so, and my mom told me that she would dip my fingers in jalapeno juice to keep me from doing it but that I would lick the finger and then rub it on my clothes until I got all the taste off and then go right back to chewing the nail. I think that they make a brush on something that is harmless but tastes like cr*p to encourage them to not suck on their thumbs but I don't know what its called. Good Luck!

Eleni
May 19th, 2005, 07:38 PM
here is a pic of my lil thumb sucker taken just this afternoon

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/Denise_rector_bouchard/Picture40.jpg

cute even if it is problematic.

BTW if anyone is good with photoshop or whatnot feel free to fix up the pic if you want, my digital camera is crap and thats the best i could get it

Eleni

Sneaky2006
May 19th, 2005, 08:39 PM
What a cutie!!!
I don't think there's much you can do about the thumb sucking other than the mitten idea. I even had an ultrasound pic of my son sucking his thumb! He finally quit doing it, he's 9 now.

I made the pic a lil smaller, but I think you can see it better.

CyberKitten
May 20th, 2005, 10:46 PM
Ohhh, 5 mos, that is really not so much a problem Eleni. :) It is a problem when he is 5 yrs!

chico2
May 21st, 2005, 09:12 AM
Eleni,I used to be a thumb-sucker(stopped when I was 30,just kidding!!)
It never bothered my teeth,but to this day,that one thumb looks different from the other,not that it is a big problem :D
I would ask the doctor what to do about the rawness on his thumb,maybe if it gets too sore,he'll move to his other thumb..

LavenderRott
May 21st, 2005, 09:31 AM
My daughter would kill me if she knew I told anyone, but she sucked her thumb until she was about 12. She quit sucking it in public when she was in kindergarten (unless she was really nervous about something), but at night that thumb just seemed to have a life of it's own.

I would call the doctor and see if there is anything you can put on his thumb.

kandy
May 21st, 2005, 02:09 PM
Cute little one! He is a doll - thumb in the face and all!

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 21st, 2005, 02:39 PM
Could you put that lanlolin cream on his thumb its the same cream you put on your nipples when your breast feeding when they get all sore if its safe for breast feeding babies so it may be safe to put on his thumb. I would ask a doctor or a pharmasist or even la leche league might help.

My older son was a thumb sucker and now we are trying to get him to stop he also has a constantly red thumb and the nail never grows. I can tell already that he will need braces, the dentist said they can surgically implant something to the roof of his mouth so that when he tries to suck his thumb it will prick his finger!!!. Its hard to get him to stop he sucks it when he sleeps and when he is upset or really tired. I think the prick thing in the mouth seems pretty cruel but we may look into other methodds to get him to stop.
I think knowing now what I do I may have tried to stop him at closer to a year then letting it go. My other son never had any desire to suck on a thumb or a pacifier but then he breast feed until he was almost three so don't know if that had anything do to with it.

Good luck your guy is a little cutie.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 21st, 2005, 02:48 PM
actually just check with the lanolin that it is safe I beleive it may be called something different but I dont remember the name but it had similar qualities, it is safe to ingest and acts as a protective barrier, it was given to us in our baby package in little purple tubes.

:D

Eleni
May 21st, 2005, 03:19 PM
I actually never thought of lanolin,

I have a big tube of lansinoh here from when he was born, i dotn use it much anymore since hes a breastfeeding pro hehe

Im gonna give that a try, last night i switched his tumb for his Paci while he was sleeping.

he woke more but id rather that then his thumb not heal

Eleni

raingirl
May 21st, 2005, 03:42 PM
(my mom still sucks her thumb sometimes and she is 59....so don't worry)