Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My MinPin won't stop licking his front leg!

FlyGti
May 19th, 2005, 04:47 AM
Lately my MinPin won't stop licking the upper area of his left front paw (around the upper joint area). The licking of the paw is followed by him tilting his head back and a licking in the air episode. The only time he's not licking his paw is if he's sleeping. I'm really getting concerned because he's so obsessive about it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

mesaana
May 19th, 2005, 07:41 AM
Two things come to mind: the first one is pain. Get your dog to the vet, it could be anything including a tumor that is starting. If ALL physical causes have been eliminated, it could be behavioural. For example, anxiety-related.

Lyne

Prin
May 19th, 2005, 12:15 PM
I just answered this one in the Pet health forum... :rolleyes:

MIA
May 19th, 2005, 01:13 PM
I agree rule out medical first. The other thing you can do in the mean time is put bitter apple on the leg and hopefully that will deter your pup from licking. I know my guy will lick his leg when it's bothering him (he broke it last year though). Go get an x-ray of the leg, MinPins have very fragile legs and are easily broken at a young age, both my dogs broke a leg before they were three years old!!!!

FlyGti
May 19th, 2005, 04:57 PM
I'm going to rule out any injuries because he's as active as ever, ie.(running full sprint) and he really likes it if I scratch the upper leg for him. I guess its time to take him to the vet. :(

MIA
May 19th, 2005, 05:16 PM
Better safe than sorry!!!