Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bad neighbour or helping?

dogmelissa
May 18th, 2005, 11:49 PM
Situation: I live in a condo complex (mostly townhouses) which allow pets (good thing!). However, in our by-laws, it states that all animals (cats OR dogs) must be kept in the unit, and when out of their unit must be kept on leash AND under control at all times. And there is this one cat...

It's a very people-friendly cat, and quite willingly comes to visit people who happen to be around. However, it pees in my "garden" (I just have dirt right now, they haven't put any sod down) , and it sprayed my front door three times. My (indoor-only) cats sit in the window in the front of my place and they are literally 2 feet from this cat and one of my cats gets VERY upset by this other kitty being there. The cat has even gone so far as to try to follow me into my house once when I was bringing in groceries.
Here's the kicker. This cat wears a tag which identifies her as "Miss Kitty" and gives her unit #, but no phone number (I might be mistaken I've only seen the tag once), and on the back of the tag in big letters it says "OUTDOOR CAT". The owners of the cat have received at least 2 notices from the condo board about this cat, I'm not sure if they've been fined or not, but I know that the fine is only $50.
To be honest, my concern isn't for my garden, or my front door, or even because one of my cats gets upset about the presence of a stranger. I'm worried about Miss Kitty. My condo is on the edge of town; there are coyotes only metres away. There are also large hawks, at least one bald eagle, roaming stray dogs, etc etc etc. I'm sure we all know the risks. Plus this cat is either too stupid or just not afraid, and it doesn't hesitate to get itself in the middle of the road. I just about ran over it last week--the only thing that stopped me was knowing that it's not the cat's fault and it didn't deserve to suffer or die because it has bad owners.
So... if I just happened to "accidentally" pick up the cat someday and take it to the Humane Society, would that be horrible? In all likelyhood, if the tag has a phone number, they will call and if they want their cat back they will have to pay boarding fees, plus drive to the City. If they don't want the cat back or the tag doesn't lead to anything, the cat could be euthanised, if a new home isn't found for it. Not the best result, but better than dying between the teeth of a coyote or under a car tire!
Would that make me a bad neighbour?????

Melissa

Prin
May 19th, 2005, 01:18 AM
I'd say your both. A bad neighbor, but you are helping the cat. I doubt it will change anything though. He'll just go get the cat back and leave him outside again.

Sneaky2006
May 19th, 2005, 06:03 AM
I would think it's considered helping the cat. But Prin's right, she'll be outside again anyway when they get her back.
Why exactly do people want an outdoor cat anyway??? I just don't get it.

Daisy's Owner
May 19th, 2005, 06:57 AM
I think I would probably go to the board with your complaint. The owners might not mind a $50 fine, but they might care if there tenancy is put in jeopardy. Enough complaints might do it.

happycats
May 19th, 2005, 07:14 AM
You say the cat "sprays" your front door? That's probably why the owner made it an outdoor cat, because it probably sprays the owners house.
It's sad because if it sprays, no one will want it, especially indoors :sad:
And if you take it to the Humane Society, no one will adopt a cat who sprays, even if they are unaware of the problem, it won't be long before find out about this habit, and return it :sad: .
Basically your in a bad spot, it could get killed where it is, and it will be euthanized if you cat nap it!

Personally I think it's better off where it is, at least it has a chance.
There are many who live outdoors, and somtimes die under tires, or by wildlife, but I would rather see them "live"(even if it's for a short while) then be euthanized because they "might" get killed!

chico2
May 19th, 2005, 07:46 AM
Melissa,I too have a couple of"outdoor cats"coming around at night and one of my cats gets extreemly upset seeing one in"his"backyard :mad:
However,I know where these cats live,I would not pick them up and take them to HS...if they were strays I would.
I do not agree with leaving your cat outside on his own,but unfortunately many people do,these cats go inside for the day and outside at night.
They would not be better off at HS,either way they could be killed...

Lizzie
May 19th, 2005, 08:43 AM
Apparently if you put some doggy doo in your garden cats will stay away thinking that a dog is nearby....perhaps, as gross as it sounds, you could line your garden with doo doo....just under the topsoil?? It's worth a try...heheheh!

happycats
May 19th, 2005, 08:53 AM
Apparently if you put some doggy doo in your garden cats will stay away thinking that a dog is nearby....perhaps, as gross as it sounds, you could line your garden with doo doo....just under the topsoil?? It's worth a try...heheheh!
speaking of poo :rolleyes: I don't know about your area, but the zoo here sells zoo poo, and they claim lion poo, is great at keeping ALL animals out of your garden :D If you don't have zoo poo in your area Coco mulch works great! (It smells good too, better then zoo poo I'm sure :yuck: :p )

Schwinn
May 19th, 2005, 10:42 AM
I know my opinion will be unpopular, but this is from someone who is tired have having his screens wrecked by our own psycho kitties not liking the "visiting" cat, scratched cars, wrecked gardens, dead lawn spots, and the general embarassment of our pit being afraid of going outside. I'd take it to either a cat rescue or the humane society. Unless you live in the country where it is probably not going to be bothering other people, it's just ignorant to let your cat roam at large. Or tie a note to it stating that the next time it comes around, you're going to be taking it to the pound. You don't have to put a number or name on it.

I know some might think I sound cruel or mean, but I don't have much patience for people who don't have consideration for others.

nymph
May 19th, 2005, 11:25 AM
A yellow male stray tabby regularly comes to my parent's house: he'd go directly to the feeding dish, sometimes even goes upstairs and lies down on my parent's bed. :rolleyes:

My parents have 3 female cats, all spayed, they all hate him, but he doesn't seem to care. I've told my parents to just ignore the tabby since he could be carrying diseases, but my parents insist to continue feed that poor wanderer. They actually get worried if he doesn't come!

chico2
May 19th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Nymph,I had one like that too,although he did not come in the house,I just fed him twice a day for three years,he would not come near me...then one day he did not come and he more than likely was dead :sad:
My cats got so used to him on my deck,they did not even bother,I called him George,here he is...poor George!

Eleni
May 19th, 2005, 03:05 PM
aw:(thats so sad

Shamrock
May 19th, 2005, 04:22 PM
Well, that is very sad, and a tough decision.
It really comes down to the lesser of the two evils for the cat, doesnt it?

Where there's life,theres hope. ..so I'd say to leave him outdoors.
I like the note idea that was suggested.
Also, they are breaking the tenancy agreements - increasing fines can work wonders to get people's attention too.
Good luck with this!
Poor kitty... :sad:

nymph
May 19th, 2005, 04:50 PM
Chico: that's so sad! :sad: :sad:

chico2
May 19th, 2005, 04:56 PM
Yeah it was,poor George,I should not have put his picture here,it opened up the floodgates again and it's been many years,since I last saw him,George had the sweetest face.HS was going to catch him,neuter him and bring him back here,but he was too smart to get trapped,so they gave up.... :sad:

badger
May 19th, 2005, 05:10 PM
I've got one in my sights, too, Chico, I've been feeding him for two or three years, altho' I think he also eats somewhere else. When I don't see Mr. Button for a few days, I worry. Unlike you, I can rub him behind the ears, briefly, particularly if I am carrying catnip. When he was here yesterday, I noticed that he is losing the hair on his neck - mange? I'm dying to pull him in and get him fixed up, maybe adopted? but it's an expensive proposition, probably 3-400$ to vaccinate, deworm, neuter, treat his little ailments. Sigh.

On the subject of this thread, I don't have any solutions (and probably should keep my head down, since my own cats go outside) but I thought only males sprayed?

chico2
May 19th, 2005, 05:21 PM
Badger,I believe George was feral,he often came with different kind of wounds and it was heartbreaking,but he would only let me come within 5 feet of him,I missed him very much when he did not come any more,still put food out for him,but he was gone :sad:
Do cats get mange???
Also yes,some female cats spray..
Can we ge a picture of MR Button?what a cute name :D

happycats
May 19th, 2005, 05:22 PM
On the subject of this thread, I don't have any solutions (and probably should keep my head down, since my own cats go outside) but I thought only males sprayed?

All the females at my trailer park sprayed, even after I had them fixed!
I also have an outdoor wild cat, my son named her Mimi, we feed her twice a day, but can't get anywhere near her. We were able to trap her and brought her in the spare bedroom on a cold night in the winter, but she went crazy, ,she would try and attack me when I would feed her! I would have to throw her food in the door, and I couldn't even clean the litter for fear of attack.
Unfortunately we had to release her as we felt she would be put to sleep if we brought her in :sad: because she is unadoptable.

badger
May 19th, 2005, 05:35 PM
I did that with some feral kittens once, goodbye paper blinds! They were so small, but fierce. I think I would probably succeed now, back then I didn't have 'the boards' to go to for advice, expected everything to happen overnight. Happycats, the image of throwing food in the door, too funny, as if it was a lion, not some poor scared kitty. Bless you for trying, it's all we can do ain't it.

happycats
May 19th, 2005, 05:41 PM
Happycats, the image of throwing food in the door, too funny, as if it was a lion, not some poor scared kitty. Bless you for trying, it's all we can do ain't it.

Trust me it wasn't funny at the time!! that little thing scared the crap out of me :eek:Of course hubby thought it was funny, until I sent him in the room to get something :evil: That little "lioness" sent him packing real quick too :D
Now we both laugh at how that little bitty cat held us hostage in our own home!!
We have come a long long way though she actually lets me touch her head quickly when she eats, (she tries to bite, if I keep my hand there to long).
I only wish I could do more :sad:

kandy
May 19th, 2005, 06:09 PM
My mom feeds all the strays around her house too, whether they be cats, chickens or even llamas! Right now she has a llama that thinks her yard is pretty cool. He actually belongs to the neighbors, so he isn't really a stray, but he comes to visit most every day. The chicken's came from another neighbor whose kids put her in a nursing home and left all the animals there. She had a dog (who froze to death because she forgot to let him back in one winter night :sad: ) a cat, and two chickens. My mom was even trying to devise some kind of shelter for the chickens - one of them would come up and peck on the glass on her sliding glass door if he didn't have any food. My mom only saw the cat once but then it was gone. The chicken's have vanished too - probably the neighbor's bird dogs thinking they found an easy target! :sad:

I agree that you should probably leave the cat and go through the other channels to get results. He might get run over or eaten by coyotes (I had a coyote for 16 years and man did she hate cats!!) but he might have learned a thing or two about survival outside and avoid those grisly fates. Good Luck!

Safyre
May 19th, 2005, 07:32 PM
I live in Co-operative housing, and am on the board of directors here. lil different than condo living, but same idea really.
I would say, put your complaint in writing to the board. They cannot tell you whether or not the person has been fined (privacy) but they will have to respond to you to advise that they have looked into the matter. After that, if you see the cat running around, bring it to the humane society. You have done both what should be expected of you: being a good person and brigning ti to boards attention first, and thne attempting to help the cat.
I know that here, the board members will fine the member and if they keep allowing thier cat outdoors, one of the board members (haha, ME, i am the 'animal person') will capture the animal and bring it to the OSPCA with the written history of neglect by the owner.

dogmelissa
May 19th, 2005, 09:14 PM
Safrye,

Thank you very much for your input. I am going to take a 3-part approach to this, after having read everything posted here. First I am going to attach a note to the cat quoting the portion of the condo bylaws that indicate the cat must be kept under control--I'm ok with it being outside, but tie it up or something!! I also have a newspaper article from a couple of years ago that my mom cut out for me which is called "Don't let the cat out!" which I will also attach to the cat. Of course I will tie this to the cat's collar, not do something to harm the cat!!

Then I'll give it a few days, and report it to the board. I've actually got a few other items I'd like to report (unrelated) so I will give it all a few days and do it all at once. I'm going to also try to get photographs of the cat running loose and also of the tag on the collar showing the unit number if I can to submit as "evidence".

Then I'll give it a week or so, depending on when/if I get a response from the board stating that they notified the owner they were in violation of the bylaws, and then if I see the cat again, I will collect it and take it to the Humane Society.

Sound decent?
Thanks everyone for your input/thoughts/comments on this issue.
Melissa

Safyre
May 19th, 2005, 10:44 PM
Sounds like a great plan, very responsible and hopefully, the first two measures will hopefully mean that you don't have to do the third.
You might want to ask neighbors around you if they have seen this cat as well, and ask that they submit a small note to the baord as well, just a thought