Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Can anyone help my friend? (Cats need homes)

Cactus Flower
May 18th, 2005, 10:30 PM
I have a friend who lives in Ohio, about 100 miles from Columbus, close to West Virginia and Kentucky.

She is disabled, on a very limited income, unable to drive. She took in a female cat from a harsh winter and nursed her back to health. This cat has gotten out and gotten pregnant exactly two times.

These two litters have resulted in a 13-cat household.

There is no spay/neuter assistance in scioto county, where she lives. She could not afford to pay to have the cat spayed, transportation, etc. The animal shelter in her county does not take in cats. The neighboring county's shelter has told her that they have too many cats already and can't help her by taking in any of hers. She has fostered for that shelter in the past, so is well aware of how full they can get.

She is literally going without adequate groceries for herself (shipped/delivered, by the way), in order to keep these cats in food and kitty litter, and it is only upon MY insistence that this is getting posted on pets.ca. I am of course concerned about the welfare of these cats, but I am also concerned about the welfare of my friend.

She did not want this posted because she has been attacked elsewhere and called irresponsible for not being able to spay the stray, and for taking her in in the first place. Please understand, there is no way she could have NOT taken that cat in, as it was standing there sick and freezing on her porch. I know her well, and perhaps only God Himself could have gotten her to turn the other cheek and close the door. And neither could she have made the money appear for the full cost of spaying.

She only last night told me about the stray and the litters, athough we talk regularly. Why? She says she's been too "ashamed" of the situation she's ended up in, and feels "defeated", after listing the cats on petfinder and classifieds and not getting one call. The only thing she has gotten is "judged".

Please- can anyone help? If so, I can give you her contact info by pm.

canine14
May 18th, 2005, 10:36 PM
Bless your friend. I hope that now she will get the help she needs after caring for so many of God's creatures. Would she like to keep the original stray? Maybe we can all help with the cost. What about transport for the kittens? Many here are great at arranging this.

Keep us posted.

Cactus Flower
May 18th, 2005, 10:44 PM
Canine14, you are too sweet!

She was just telling me that she was worried my "friends on the board" will think less of me for knowing "someone like her" (in her situation).

And then there's the first reply....and it's your kind words.
Thank you.

(Will pm you from here).

Sneaky2006
May 19th, 2005, 05:58 AM
I sent an email! :p

chico2
May 19th, 2005, 06:58 AM
CF,nobody would ever judge your friend for rescuing the cat,she more than likely saved her life.
I only wish she could have kept her inside,but that's hindsight :sad: does not do anybody any good.
I hope she can get the help she needs,maybe even from some of the wonderful people here in the Forum :love:

CyberKitten
May 19th, 2005, 11:29 AM
Maybe someone could set up a Petfinder site for her or add them to theirs? And somehow, the cat needs to be spayed! (Sorry my replies are so quick but I only have a few mins today!

Cactus Flower
May 19th, 2005, 12:55 PM
Thanks, all!

I should mention the types of cats, only I'm just terrible with cat breeds :o . I know that some are long-haired. That's a breed, right? LOL.

Princesss04
May 19th, 2005, 01:30 PM
CF I sent you a PM I think Raja needs a kitty! :D

chico2
May 19th, 2005, 01:38 PM
I agree,one or two,Raja would be a great mom!!!

Cactus Flower
May 19th, 2005, 02:16 PM
If only we were close enough to help her :( .

We wouldn't be able to take any in right now, but could round up some folks here looking for a kitty. My son has allergy-triggered asthma and unfortunately cats are a big one. He's getting allergy shots to build up his immunity, though, (actually we both are). His cat allergy has gone from a 9 to a 6, so that's progress, but still pretty severe. It has taken 3 years of shots to get him this far. He LOVES cats, too, poor baby. He'd rather wheeze and hold a cat. He doesn't realize how dangerous the asthma attacks are, or can be. You know how kids are- they think they're invincible.

greaterdane
May 19th, 2005, 02:55 PM
I have sent your friends story to my family in OH, I am sure some of them know people or are even looking for a little kitty themselves. I have requested they email me asap if they are interested.

P.S they are in clevland (sp?)

Lucky Rescue
May 19th, 2005, 03:02 PM
I really feel for your friend. I know how overwhelming it is. However finding homes for kittens is not the answer because if the woman cannot keep the cats in, the litters will be endless.

However there IS low cost, and mobile spay/neuter in Ohio.

Check it out here. 30$ for spay OR neuter -much less than cost of feeding endless litters.
http://www.petfbi.com/spay.htm

Cactus Flower
May 19th, 2005, 08:23 PM
Wow, thanks BulliMom!

Great link, Lucky- I will be sure that is passed on.

She's not looking for a home for just the kittens- she's looking for a home for the Mom, too, actually. Right now there is a concern about the first litter coming to maturity....and making more litters. So I can definitely see the "endless litter" possibility. That's why I'm trying to find speuter help and homes for the ones she has.

Thanks again for finding that link!

Lucky Rescue
May 19th, 2005, 09:05 PM
Here's a list of low cost OR free s/n in Ohio! Your friend must do something or she will rapidly have 30 or more cats!

City of Cleveland Kennel
2690 West 7th Street
Cleveland, OH 44113
Clinic Phone: (216) 664-2759
Main Phone: (216) 664-3069
Low cost spay/neuter clinic for pets of Cleveland residents.

Planned Pethood Inc.
5265 Berkey Southern Road
Whitehouse, OH 43571
Phone: (419) 877-3499

United Humanitarians
Toledo, OH
Phone: (419) 475-1977

CAT-SNIP Program
Scratching Post
6958 Plainfield Road
Silverton, OH 45236
Phone: (513) 984-6369

Humane Society & Spay Neuter
4920 State Route 37 E
Delaware, OH 43015
Phone: (614) 369-7387

Cat Welfare Association
736 Wetmore Road
Columbus, OH 43214
Phone: (614) 268-6096
Low cost spay/neuter for pets of low income people.

Humane Society of Delaware County
4920 State Route 37 E
Delaware, OH 43015
Phone: (740) 548-7387 or (740) 369-7387
Low Cost Spay/neuter clinic

SICSA
Dayton, OH
Phone: (937) 294-6505
Low cost spay/neuter for pets of low income people

Cactus Flower
May 19th, 2005, 10:22 PM
I sure appreciate everything you've found and posted to help my friend, Lucky. I've passed along all of the info, and I hope something will pan out. The problem with some of those is going to be that she can't drive, and they are hours from where she is. I hope that one might be close enough to assist (will let you know).

I don't want to sound like one of those posters that asks for help and then shoots everything down without consideration. I realize that a helicopter isn't going to drop out of the sky, land in her yard, pick up all the cats and fly away :D . I knew it was a long shot on a Canadian board, but I had my fingers crossed for someone knowing of a rescue or shelter in her area that might be able to help.

This thread has already proven to her that there ARE considerate people out there who care, and who took the time to try to think of a way to help (more has happened in PMs, too, which I've related to her). I wish you knew how much that alone is worth to someone in her position.

(I promise, I won't get any sappier....... :p).

We should keep this thread handy, to link new posters with unspayed pets to. It is the PERFECT example of the results of ONE unspayed cat- AND great evidence of the true nature of pets.ca members---------> :angel: :grouphug: :love: :angel: :grouphug: :love:.

LavenderRott
May 19th, 2005, 11:04 PM
If you can pm me some information about what city or area she lives in, I will see if I have some rottweiler friends who can help either with rehoming or transport to a local clinic for spay/neuter.

Cactus Flower
May 19th, 2005, 11:14 PM
LavenderRott, I sent you a pm, but it was incomplete. Your inbox is full, though, so I can't send another. I'll check back tomorrow.