Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Rodeos

Shamrock
May 18th, 2005, 06:08 PM
What do you feel about this type of event?
This May long weekend, a traditional and large rodeo kicks off here for its annual run. It's always a big success, so clearly some people must enjoy it.

I always wonder - why? :confused:

Every year, a few protest and allege mistreatment. Officials always refute this fact, stating that no animals are suffering or mistreated in any way, and that careful monitoring is done. One animal did die last year during an event - but this was just an 'accident', apparently.
But every year the rodeo is back, the crowds flock in.

I guess I am just not a "'western" type person, and dont see the point in this event - as entertainment. :confused:

Though it 'may" not be cruelty in the technical term, to me its disturbing as animal exploitation.
The participants may win cash and prestige, the onlookers may find it enjoyable.
But are the animals having any fun?
Is there justification for rodeo - type events today, do you feel?
I have to admit I have actually never been to one, and dont plan on it...

SarahLynn123
May 18th, 2005, 06:13 PM
What do you feel about this type of event?
This May long weekend, a traditional and large rodeo kicks off here for its annual run. It's always a big success, so clearly some people must enjoy it.

I always wonder - why? :confused:

Every year, a few protest and allege mistreatment. Officials always refute this fact, stating that no animals are suffering or mistreated in any way, and that careful monitoring is done. One animal did die last year during an event - but this was just an 'accident', apparently.
But every year the rodeo is back, the crowds flock in.

I guess I am just not a "'western" type person, and dont see the point in this event - as entertainment. :confused:

Though it 'may" not be cruelty in the technical term, to me its disturbing as animal exploitation.
The participants may win cash and prestige, the onlookers may find it enjoyable.
But are the animals having any fun?
Is there justification for rodeo - type events today, do you feel?
I have to admit I have actually never been to one, and dont plan on it...

Ive been to a rodeo, have I seen one though?? Nope, its the after party that everyone goes to. I dont agree with roping animals and riding them in that manner to me it doesn't seem humane and at times they must get hurt.

happycats
May 18th, 2005, 06:24 PM
So much of it is barbaric!! You can't tell me calf roping doesn't hurt the calf!! I se those "cowboys" twist those poor calves heads and necks, to the point that I have seen some stop moving!! (looked like the neck was broken and it was dead) And the bucking bronco (bull crap!!) using spurs to kick the poor horses in the neck!! :eek:
I don't like them ("entertainment" shouldn't be at the expense and pain of animals)
It's not just the pain they experience that bothers me, but imagine the fear they must endure, on the truck ride there, waiting in pens, screaming crowds, loud noises, flashing camera's, it's sad. :sad:

Karin
May 18th, 2005, 09:38 PM
*novice calf roper here*...and I'm sure not too popular either at the moment.

These animals live the life...three years ago my boyfriend sold a great bull to the circuit for a good sum...he had to, his former ranch foreman had already leased him out to the rodeo circuit behind his back...left him sterile. So much for the prize breeding stock. This bull just entered the nationals this year at 9 years of age and is doing real good. In the field he would still be going strong too but his only other option was Alpo. (If the former twit had left business alone the bull would be mounting instead of being mounted)..anyhow..it is not as bad as it looks to be..only the best of care for the animal athletes.

BMDLuver
May 18th, 2005, 09:58 PM
How come not popular Karin?

As for Rodeos, I watch the bullriding religiously when it is on television, have even tried it myself. Hurts like the dickens getting dumped. I also do team penning and love it. Rodeos are a different type of life and some of the guys n gals in it work darn hard for the payout. The stock is very well taken care of and those rowel spurs you are talking about don't dig in, they glide across the animal. Yes, it may seem barbaric to the onlooker but it's a time honored tradition amongst many a ranch hand and stock owner.

K, so now maybe I'm on the not so popular list with you? :o

twinmommy
May 18th, 2005, 10:06 PM
Rodeos--YAY

Bullfights---NAY!!! And I think that's what most animal lovers would be against. Contrary to the well-treated animals of rodeos, the more sadistic Spanish counterpart is barbaric and exploitive, IMO.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 18th, 2005, 10:09 PM
When I was younger my sister used to invite me to go see the Williams Lake Stampede every summer and I always had a great time. It does seem like a rough sport for the rider and the animal but then again I don't really know anything about it.

I went to a Bullfight in Mexico when I was about 8 or so it was the most horrific thing I ever saw way worse then a rodeo.

Karin
May 18th, 2005, 10:11 PM
How come not popular Karin?

As for Rodeos, I watch the bullriding religiously when it is on television, have even tried it myself. Hurts like the dickens getting dumped. I also do team penning and love it. Rodeos are a different type of life and some of the guys n gals in it work darn hard for the payout. The stock is very well taken care of and those rowel spurs you are talking about don't dig in, they glide across the animal. Yes, it may seem barbaric to the onlooker but it's a time honored tradition amongst many a ranch hand and stock owner.

K, so now maybe I'm on the not so popular list with you? :o

*smooches*

Thanks...misery loves company ya know...now that two of us are walking on egg shells the shells will either break or get tougher shells right?

I would rather join my team roping friends...they can stay on the horse afterall....just need much more practice.

As for bull riding...NO WAY! I'll leave that to you and all other organ donors out there. I'll hide -n-watch. That takes a braver soul than I can offer up.

Jackie467
May 18th, 2005, 10:14 PM
guess I'm kind of on the list with you. I don't agree with all rodeos, some are not ran well and the animals are mistreated, but not all rodeos are like that. The big houston rodeo for instance treats their animals very well. as far as calf roping, that part bothers me and I leave the stadium for it. Horses are not spured in the neck, and if you saw that you should have reported it because it's against rodeo rules and considered animal abuse in most places and punishable by law. when riding bucking broncos you are not permitted to wear spurs, the riders objective is to run the heals of their boots along the neck without their legs flailing too much. they put an aperatus (don't know what it is called) around the horses waist, it bothers them and they try to buck it off, hence the bucking bronco. A lot of these horses are pets most of the time, and the bulls are treated very well. Most people do not see how the animals are treated outside of the rodeo so they don't realize it doesn't hurt them. If you see an animal outside of the rodeo that doesn't look healthy please call the police because in most areas this is illegal and the rodeo will be shut down.

BMDLuver
May 18th, 2005, 10:34 PM
*smooches*

As for bull riding...NO WAY! I'll leave that to you and all other organ donors out there. I'll hide -n-watch. That takes a braver soul than I can offer up.
Believe me, I felt like an organ donor afterwards.

they put an aperatus (don't know what it is called) around the horses waist, it bothers them and they try to buck it off, hence the bucking bronco.

It's called a bucking strap I believe. It's based on the surcingle but thinner underneath strap.

We have tried twice to be in Las Vegas for the PBR but have not been able to get a hotel during the time. You need to book almost a year in advance. One year I'll get there.

Cactus Flower
May 19th, 2005, 12:39 AM
I worked the rodeo in Steamboat Springs, Colorado. One horse bucked so hard, he broke his own back and had to be put down right there in the middle of the ring.

I bet if I tied a strap around your.... :eek: ....you'd buck, too.

The bulls aren't bucking because they feel good, let's be honest.

Jackie467
May 19th, 2005, 01:10 AM
I know horses buck when happy, if you ever watch a colt or philly play you'll see them bucking around. Some horses are bound to get hurt, it happens in sports. Even agility dogs get hurt once in a while, my neighbors dog once broke her leg preforming agility, accidents happen. Same with human sports.

Prin
May 19th, 2005, 01:15 AM
Is it really on the waist or on the more sensitive parts?

I disagree with this "sport"... In the bullriding, you see them riling them up (in not so nice ways) before letting the bulls go... And if I was a calf, I think it would hurt when my face hits the dirt as I am running. Doesn't sound like living a life of luxury to me... I'd rather watch the annual duck race instead. :)

Cactus Flower
May 19th, 2005, 02:04 AM
http://www.lvbusinesspress.com/articles/2004/12/02/news/news11rodeo.txt

chico2
May 19th, 2005, 08:18 AM
I know NOTHING about Rodeos,but anything involving animals entertaining us in an unatural scenario,is not entertainment to me..
The Calgary Stampede is constantly monitored for any animal-abuse,but I would think tieing up a bulls jewels to make him angry,would not be pleasant for the bull. Also in the wagon-races horses are often wounded and killed.
If the people doing these events get hurt,it's by choice,the animals have no choice.
As for Bull-fighting,I always evilly hope the bullfighter will get hurt,the bull will loose either way,a horrible"sport"that should have been abolished years ago.
How anyone could watch a suffering bull,with blood pouring out of his back is to me,beyond comprehension.

happycats
May 19th, 2005, 08:37 AM
As for Bull-fighting,I always evilly hope the bullfighter will get hurt,the bull will loose either way,a horrible"sport"that should have been abolished years ago.
How anyone could watch a suffering bull,with blood pouring out of his back is to me,beyond comprehension.
I agree with you, and you mention "sport", I have only this to say; In sport, both sides should know they're in the game ;)

Princesss04
May 19th, 2005, 10:48 AM
I know NOTHING about Rodeos,but anything involving animals entertaining us in an unatural scenario,is not entertainment to me..
The Calgary Stampede is constantly monitored for any animal-abuse,but I would think tieing up a bulls jewels to make him angry,would not be pleasant for the bull. Also in the wagon-races horses are often wounded and killed.
If the people doing these events get hurt,it's by choice,the animals have no choice.

Chico I am with you I do not go to rodeos and do not want to go, so I do not know what goes on. But I do not like hte fact that an animal is the source of someones entetainment is not right. What a way to live for the bull. Or those little calves that they throw the rope around their neck and drop them to the ground and tie them up does not sound like the calf really likes it. Just my opinion though. I do not look down on anyone just would not go to them myself but that is my choice.

Schwinn
May 19th, 2005, 10:55 AM
I used to be against the rodeo as well. I remember one person involved with the rodeo, however, talking about the calf roping, and how to the calf, it was a game they enjoyed. He talked about how outside of the ring these same calfs will come up and nuzzle the cowboys. I questioned this, then my wife mentioned some of the knock-down drag-out wrestling matches Daisy and I have. She seems to love them, so maybe there's something to it.

I'm now on the fence with rodeos. I've decided I don't know enough about them to really have a solid opinion. I do remember seeing somewhere a horse that was raw from the spurs. I also remember another person explaining to me that modern spurs are rounded and don't hurt the skin. Generally, I feel if the animal is happy, then whether it is in a field lounging or a ring entertaining, it's all good.

Copper'sMom
May 19th, 2005, 10:56 AM
Isn't bull riding or horse bucking (whatever you call it) when they put the strap around their waist but isn't it attached to the bull's testicles??? This is what makes them "buck??"

Karin
May 19th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Isn't bull riding or horse bucking (whatever you call it) when they put the strap around their waist but isn't it attached to the bull's testicles??? This is what makes them "buck??"

That is ridiculous!

Schwinn
May 19th, 2005, 11:56 AM
Actually, I heard that too, but I didn't think it actually went around, more like it just crossed that, um...area. Kind of like a bull g-string. They get ticked, and start bucking because bulls are not fond of lingerie. Or asparagus.

Jackie467
May 19th, 2005, 12:07 PM
Spurs are only used on a stuborn horse and never to the extend of hurting them. We had two horses when I was young. The female had no problem going with just a slight pressure of your heals. but on the other hand the male you could kick all day as hard as possible and he wouldn't move an inch. Kicking a horse like this would hurt it greatly so with PJ we used spurs. It was the ONLY way to get him to move even an inch. We never hurt him in anyway, just a slight nudge with the spurs was all that was needed. Some horses over time build up a tolerence to being kicked (it's not really a kick that is just what it is called, it's more of a pressure that you apply with your heals) and therefore need spurs to realize you want them to go.

happycats
May 19th, 2005, 12:17 PM
Actually, I heard that too, but I didn't think it actually went around, more like it just crossed that, um...area. Kind of like a bull g-string. They get ticked, and start bucking because bulls are not fond of lingerie. Or asparagus.

I heard the the same thing! except not the asparagus part !! http://bestsmileys.com/lol/17.gif you crack me up!

Crazy Hippie
May 19th, 2005, 12:17 PM
What is wrong with people that they can't find entertainment in something other than making animals do stupid things. Shame on them! I luv it when those bullfighters get stabbed with the horns..looks good on them.

Prin
May 19th, 2005, 12:41 PM
Let's ride some rodeo humans and rope them up!!

As for the calves having fun-- I bet the greyhounds are too, and the fighting pitties? And the deer who gets shot? Or the fox who is being hunted by a "friendly" pack of dogs? Don't get me started on zoo and circus animals.

Did you know that physiologically, there is the same reaction intensity when you rip an arm off a tree as when you rip an arm off a human? But trees don't get hurt?

I don't buy that "they have fun too" stuff.. Something humans say to make themselves feel less guilty. We don't know-- we are not THEM.

Jackie467
May 19th, 2005, 12:56 PM
We don't know-- we are not THEM.
Exectly. The people that work with them everyday know, not someone watching so if you use that argument then it's not safe to assume that they are not either. There are lots of things that I play with Candi that some might think doesn't look like she is having fun, but I know her better and know that she is. There is no way for anyone to know if they are having fun or not, it has to be the best guess of the person who is closest to them.

Cactus Flower
May 19th, 2005, 01:06 PM
Is this close enough, Jackie? ;) :p

Shamrock
May 19th, 2005, 03:05 PM
Aww, what a great photo, Cactus Flower!

Well, interesting reading the differing views on this. I certainly understand and appreciate that some find this pastime an interesting competition that is enjoyable and lively,and believe it to be safe and harmless.

My daughter is a very experienced horsewoman, and directs and rides in a mounted drill team (precision manoeves to music) Their team is not performing in the actual Rodeo, but will be in the opening parade as they do every year.
She and her husband have attended this event several times, and see nothing wrong with the concept or the operation of it at all.
They both state there is no harm to the animals - and so we do not agree on this. I concede they ARE the horse people. I have no "hands-on" experience at all, basing my opinion of what I have seen and read.

Still, this man-against beast concept troubles me. Such harsh manipulating of animals under the guise of "fun" is, to me, an outdated and distasteful spectacle:(
The steer that died of a broken neck last year was deemed a fluke accident that had never occured before. True - at THIS venue.
To each their own. They will never get my money - or my approval.

Incidentally, I've not seen it, but the Vancouver Humane Society ( a long-time opposer of this event) has erected a large billboard - 3metres x 6 metres-in a busy corner closeby to the Rodeo grounds

Taken at last year's event - a steer is being pullled in opposite directions, roped around both the neck and legs.

The caption reads " That's Entertainment?"

Eleni
May 19th, 2005, 03:15 PM
im undecided if i like em or not

Eleni

Cactus Flower
May 19th, 2005, 03:20 PM
WOW, Shamrock, that is a very powerful photo/caption.

Lucky Rescue
May 19th, 2005, 03:31 PM
This is 2005. I really think the time has come to stop hurting, scaring or abusing animals in ANY way for entertainment or to prove how macho you are.
News flash! Abusing animals does NOT make you manly!!

Cruelty for entertainment goes for rodeos, disgusting hog/dog events, circuses, dolphins and whales in small tanks, etc. OH yeah, and it goes for those guys in Las Vegas with the tigers. A stage in Las Vegas is NOT the place for forcing wild animals to do unnatural things, but I guess they learned that the hard way. :mad:

Anyone who gets pleasure from sitting and watching animals being tormented or abused needs to see a doctor ASAP.

Princesss04
May 19th, 2005, 03:44 PM
This is 2005. I really think the time has come to stop hurting, scaring or abusing animals in ANY way for entertainment or to prove how macho you are.
News flash! Abusing animals does NOT make you manly!!

Cruelty for entertainment goes for rodeos, disgusting hog/dog events, circuses, dolphins and whales in small tanks, etc. OH yeah, and it goes for those guys in Las Vegas with the tigers. A stage in Las Vegas is NOT the place for forcing wild animals to do unnatural things, but I guess they learned that the hard way. :mad:

Anyone who gets pleasure from sitting and watching animals being tormented or abused needs to see a doctor ASAP.

WELL SAID LUCKY! I AGREE! :D

Shamrock
May 19th, 2005, 03:52 PM
Lucky, great post! The days of the "Dancing Bear" are surely gone...or should be. You hit the nail right on the head! :thumbs up

chico2
May 19th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Shamrock,I just had dinner,that picture made my stomache turn,how can anyone watch that kind of stuff!!Just sickening :evil:

Prin
May 20th, 2005, 12:04 AM
I STILL say, if hunters/animal abuse spectators, etc want to be "conquer" the animals, go in the woods naked and TRY to hug an animal. The bigger the better. Stay out there until you're successful, please.

Karin
May 20th, 2005, 07:35 AM
I STILL say, if hunters/animal abuse spectators, etc want to be "conquer" the animals, go in the woods naked and TRY to hug an animal. The bigger the better. Stay out there until you're successful, please.

I guess you are right Prin. These animals need to stick to the program they were bred for. A short life of taken from the fields at 6 months of age, on to the feed lot's and when fat enough, off to the slaughter & processing plant. Next stop- your grocer's freezer.
Yup, that's what they are destined for...

Schwinn
May 20th, 2005, 10:58 AM
Actually, the investigation of the Vegas incident seems to point to the tiger actually trying to "protect" him from something. If he had attacked him, experts have said the damage would have been greater. I say this from experience, as I had a cousin who was killed by a cougar someone had on a farm. During the investigation, it turned out the cougar was playing with him, but because human skin is a lot more delicate than a cougar's, his neck was punctured and it killed him. Again, the damage would have been much greater had the cougar actually been attacking.

My personal feelings are if the animal is happy, I'm okay with it. I don't believe in beating an animal to do some stupid trick. I don't see the difference with teaching your housepets to do tricks or show animals. Some of these animals life the high life and are treated as gods. I don't think that's the case with most circus', though. But I digress.

I don't support rodeos, because I have my doubts. But as someone else said, I'm not the one who spends all day with the animals. The races and such, I'm okay with. I've been around race horses, and I've seen them give genuine affection to those who train them. I've also seen people who treat the animals poorly, and there is definitely a different way the animal interacts with them. I keep thinking of someone visiting telling me how mean I was to Daisy, and Cheryl saying, "No, she really does like it". That's why I'm sitting on the fence.

kandy
May 20th, 2005, 07:40 PM
OK - here's my 2 cents: I rode barrels and pole bending events in our Junior rodeo when I was young. I like some events at rodeo's - bull riding, bronc riding, poles and barrels. I don't watch any of the steer or calf wrestling because I do think that is mean. I know that I never abused my horse to get her to do the things I wanted and I seriously doubt that any of these animals - even the calfs & steers are being abused. Those animals are their livelihood, and they take good care of them. And I am sorry to say - but we use animals for entertainment everywhere! Of those of you who have kids - how many have taken them to a zoo or a petting zoo at a fair? How many of you have paid to have your picture taken with the cute little tiger cub?? It's the same thing. There are animal sports out there that need a better way of retiring their athletes to be sure - but since you aren't the one taking care of the animals, how can you say that they are all abused?

Karin
May 20th, 2005, 08:01 PM
It is very easy for the layman to attack issues they have no knowledge of.

Kandy, very good post. Barrel's huh? I wish I was younger, I always wanted to get into dressage too...all my friends in high school were either in dressage or jumpers, I had a horse that refused to do either.

I admit I refused to wear the clothes (OH that hat!) for shows competing...

Give me the rodeo anytime. Rodeos are a collection of many events where people and animals are athletes competing together and against each other.
The animals are just as respected as the people are..

I started roping in 1998 when I was 42...(and a grandmother)