Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Peroxide for first aid kit

Daiana
May 18th, 2005, 03:28 PM
Just curious....I know that peroxide is often used to clean a wound, and to stop bleeding, but what strength should be used? I've seen all different percentages, 3%, 10%, 20%.

Also, does it hurt or sting when you put it on a cut like alcohol does?

Just wondering because although nothing's happened to my dog (touch wood), I'd like to make sure I have some on hand just in case. I'd like to put together his own little "first aid kit" just in case, so if anyone has any other suggestions as to what else I should pick up at the drug store that would be great as well.

I've got bandages, gauze, cotton balls, q-tips, antibiotic ointment (Polysporin), and bandage tape already.

Thanks!!

raingirl
May 18th, 2005, 04:53 PM
3% should be fine, and it won't sting. You should only use it on shallow wounds though, nothing deep like a cut. Better on scrapes and things.

kandy
May 18th, 2005, 05:16 PM
I read in the Reader's Digest that you should never use Peroxide on any broken skin. It apparently eats the good tissue along with the nasty stuff and causes more harm than good. If you'd like to read the article, I can go back and tell you what issue it was in so that you can maybe find it online. The article said that for cleaning out a wound, soap and water were the best things to use. If you go looking for it, it was an article about first aid myths - it talked about how they used to tell you to use butter on burns :eek: and things like that.

SnowDancer
May 18th, 2005, 06:35 PM
Maybe children's Benadryl for bee stings.

coppperbelle
May 18th, 2005, 07:59 PM
I read in the Reader's Digest that you should never use Peroxide on any broken skin. It apparently eats the good tissue along with the nasty stuff and causes more harm than good. If you'd like to read the article, I can go back and tell you what issue it was in so that you can maybe find it online. The article said that for cleaning out a wound, soap and water were the best things to use. If you go looking for it, it was an article about first aid myths - it talked about how they used to tell you to use butter on burns :eek: and things like that.

Kandy is right. Peroxide is no longer recommended to clean wounds. The best thing is soap and water. Most people don't realize that peroxide, once opened is only effective for about a month. It starts to loose its strength after the bottle is open.
I bought a tube of First aid cream for dogs from the Cabela's catalogue. It is good to stop the bleeding and also disinfect the wound I think. I don't remember the name and the tube is at the cottage but if you go to www.cabelas.com and look up first aid you should find it.

LittleLoves
May 18th, 2005, 09:23 PM
I had to use peroxide once on Lady to induce vomiting. (Vet's advice) It was Easter and a not so careful little person in my home left a whole bag of foil wrapped chocolates within dog reach. :eek:

Prin
May 18th, 2005, 11:28 PM
Are you all sure about peroxide being the one that kills good tissue? In my Emergency care class along with every other frist aid course I have ever taken, Alcohol was the culprit and peroxide was the "new' thing to use. Alcohol certainly kills the good tissue along with the bacteria. There are also Proviodine wipes you can buy-- like moist towellettes, but iodiney. Easier to carry around than a bottle of liquid.

The rule I was taught by my old neighbor (who was a St John's Ambulance Frist Aid instructor-- handy to have around when there were no parents :) ) was that if a cut (on a human) was longer than your tip of your thumb to the first joint or deeper than your thumb nail, you have to go to the hospital. I don't know if we can apply that to animals...

coppperbelle
May 19th, 2005, 06:04 AM
I am certain I have heard that about peroxide. It is a fairly recent news. My job requires that I renew my first aid certification every two-three years and we are always advised to wash with soap and water rather than use anything like peroxide. Alcohol is never to be used on open cuts.

mesaana
May 19th, 2005, 06:38 AM
Soap and water is much better than peroxide to clean wounds. Peroxide is useful, like someone said, to induce vomiting. It's also great to remove blood from the fur.

Lyne

Eleni
May 19th, 2005, 06:49 AM
yeah I agree with soap and water,

neosporing is good to keep on hand as well.

Ive never personally used peroxide, always soap and water and no infections to date here

Eleni

marko
May 19th, 2005, 07:24 AM
Here is a link on this site where hydrogen peroxide was already discussed.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=11987

Hope it helps!

Prin
May 19th, 2005, 11:21 AM
coppperbelle, there's nothing wrong with proviodine though, right?

CyberKitten
May 19th, 2005, 11:27 AM
I'd never use peroxide - I use betadine or providine.

raingirl
May 19th, 2005, 02:01 PM
What would the best to use (I wonder) if you have a reaction to betadine. When I got my navel pierced almost 10 years ago now...I used betadine on it at the advice of the piercer... I don't remember how long I used it (I think I had to clean a few times a day for a month or so) but I got a big rash towards the end of the care instructions...like after a few weeks.

CyberKitten
May 19th, 2005, 03:45 PM
This was probably a skin irritation - anyone with allergies to shellfish should not use betadine either. A skin irritation like you described usually involves prolonged exposure of the skin to wet, unabsorbed solution. This is usually associated with "pooling" of solution that leads to chemical contact dermatitis.

You can avoid that by using disposable absorbent pads, for example Chux.

Offhand, ther only alternative I can think of is Mupirocin (Bactroban) 2% ointment.

Safyre
May 19th, 2005, 06:07 PM
Here is a link for the Dogs In Canada article on Doggy First Aid Kit: http://www.dogsincanada.com/purina/2005/dogs/firstaid.html

"Various medications and other materials, such as 3% hydrogen peroxide, lubricating jelly (e.g., Vaseline), medicated soap or wash, eyewash solution, first-aid cream, antidiarrheal tablets or liquid, styptic powder, buffered ASA tablets (Aspirin), antiseptic for minor cuts, Benadryl capsules (antihistamine) for allergies and insect bites. Remember that some familiar over-the-counter drugs might be safe for you but lethal to your dog, so check any medications with your veterinarian. Remember, too, that most medications have a shelf life. Check the label for the expiry date and replace when necessary. "

Guess peroxide is okay, for animals it seems :) Whenever I have a cut my Grandma uses some blue *****.. can't remember the name of it. She's an old nurse.

coppperbelle
May 19th, 2005, 08:35 PM
As I mentioned in my earlier post the news about peroxide is fairly recent so if the first aid kit list is older it may not be up to date. There are things that peroxide is good for but it is no longer recommended to use on open wounds. I keep peroxide on hand in case my dogs get sprayed by a skunk.

Safyre
May 19th, 2005, 09:34 PM
"recent" is a relative term... it depends what you ocnsider recent. The first aid kit posted ont he website i linked to is from 2005, probably january .. its in the issue I buy every year ... *shrugs* I have peroxide in my home for myself, so... doesn't matter to me much. I jsut posted the link to assist

Prin
May 19th, 2005, 10:41 PM
Personally, I got the first aid kit from this website (If you're wondering: pets.ca). It's compact and comes in a hard case. It was cheaper here than the places in MTL that had the same one...