Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Q's to ask? May be adopting 1 yr min pin.

KessyWessy
May 18th, 2005, 03:15 PM
I'm considering adopting a 1 yr old min pin,neutered. I already have a yorkie/pom mix, she's just over a year.

We have been wanting another dog since we got her, this is just a little sooner that we thought.

Apparently his (min pin) owner is moving, or travelling far or something, and is sad to have to give him up.

We are sending her an email and asking her to call us...we've got so many questions already and it's just quicker on the phone.

Any suggestion on questions I should ask? A bit on our lifestyle: live in an apartment, drive places and take our dog a lot, frequently visit a house with kids (9 and almost 3) and 4 adults (well usually more adults are there). Right now fiance is home all day long, but that won't last, and I don't know what his schedule will be. I work during the days. Will be driving to newfoundland in August-yes than means going on the ferry.

We're asking things like what his temperment, size, weight, is he very active or not(excersise req's), is he ok with kids or other dogs, is he possesive over things (food, toys etc), any special diet, or favorite foods, why are you giving him up, is he good for an apartment, or is he used to a house with a back yard, is he good in the car, does he get motion sickness, any behavioral issues , good or bad, such as separation anxiety, does he stress easily?

So again, any suggestions on things to ask would be appreciated, we don't want to miss anything, and if we do decide to adopt him I want to make sure we're a good fit for each other.

Lucky Rescue
May 18th, 2005, 03:38 PM
Is the dog coming to you directly from his owner? If so, be careful. In my experience,many owners lie when they want to get rid of their dogs.

Dont' take him to visit anyone for awhile after getting him. This would be stressful, confusing and difficult for him. Let him settle completely in your home first and put him on a strict schedule for feeding, walking, playing etc.

Treat him like an unhousebroken young puppy at first. Take him out often, praise him for going, and confine him when you can't watch him.

Don't give him freedom of the house when he comes home. Confine him - maybe behind a babygate in a bathroom. Min Pins can be tough, headstrong and dominant little dogs, so he needs to know he is at the bottom of the pack in your home - after yourselves and your first dog.

Consistancy and training are vital. You must be pack leader. Min Pins are often NOT good with small children, so I wouldn't take any chances until you really get to know him well.

Someone on this board rescues Min Pins and I hope she'll see your post!

Good luck!:)

MIA
May 18th, 2005, 03:53 PM
I rescue MinPins!!! Lucky has given you some great advice. Know that MinPins can be naughty little dogs, hopefully this owner started him properly and he's not already naughty!! LOL

"Consistancy and training are vital. You must be pack leader. Min Pins are often NOT good with small children, so I wouldn't take any chances until you really get to know him well." VERY TRUE!

MinPins are great and fun dogs but you have to lay down the rules and stick with them or you are in for a ride, and it's not fun! LOL They have LOTS of energy as well so he will need lots of exercise and mental stimulation. My 15 year old MinPin has no problem keeping up with my 2 year old Doberman!!!! Do obedience training if you adopt the dog, also they can't be trusted off leash, they are little hunters and will bolt after little critters.

If you need any assistance I am here to help, you can e-mail me at mia@direct.ca

Lizzie
May 18th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Also keep in mind that even if this person tells you the dog is trained...he/she may not be. So be prepared to start from scratch if you have to.

KessyWessy
May 18th, 2005, 06:30 PM
Absolutely. I won't take him unless we can meet him first, with my current dog. I don't see any sense in taking him if he's learned bad habits that I feel I can't properly deal with. While I understand that there is bound to be some re training for all of us, it just wouldn't be fair to anyone if we take him knowing about a problem that we have no plan in place to correct.

Yup. Definately gotta meet him and the owner first.

MIA
May 18th, 2005, 06:33 PM
One thing to keep in mind if you do take him there is an adjustment period that can last up to about 4 weeks!!! Usually I see new rescues settle in about 1 or two but it can take a while. Hopefully the dog was properly cared for which will make the transition easy. DO meet the dog and owner in a park and see how the dogs do. MinPins do best with a very regular routine and consistency (don't most dogs though?!).

When we adopted our second MinPin our first was NOT happy about it but they are now thicker than theives!!!! LOL They keep us on our toes!!!!

Prin
May 18th, 2005, 09:31 PM
Be prepared for unexpected vet bills too. People tend not to disclose chronic illnesses when they give up a dog.

Also be prepared for an even longer adjustment just in case... Jemma took nearly 2 years to become "our dog". She was so untrusting and crabby... Her previous owner left her alone in her apartment for 5 months and then came back, so Jemma was really unsure she was staying... :sad:

Dahlia
May 19th, 2005, 07:49 AM
My neighbor has a min pin and it poops in my yard :yuck: , apparently they feed it scraps. It is a funny looking little thing, it is SOOO fat and its head is so tiny. I call him min-pinhead. I can't believe they haven't done something about that. I looked on the chart for dog weight at the vet's when I took Sophie (who fell under the ideal range) and their dog was even fatter than the morbidly obese dog on the chart :( .

Sorry, I know I'm not helping, I just think of that dog every time someone mentions a min pin. They really can be possessive, though. When they first moved next door to us, we'd come home and their dog would be on our porch, barking at us for trying to get in OUR house. Apparently he thought everything was his.

Prin
May 19th, 2005, 12:18 PM
LOL Dahlia. My neighbor has a minipinhead too. He is home alone 16 hours a day and barks and barks and barks. Then they let him on the balcony for 5 minutes, then back inside. The rare occasion that he goes downstairs and out the front to actually go SOMEwhere he pees all the way down the stairs and then we have to tell them to clean it up or they just don't. This is the doggy I have mentioned before who fell off his balcony, broke his hip and they never let the vet take even xrays. :mad: But my vet advised me not to call anybody on them because they could just as well to the same to us and start a war. :mad:

Dahlia
May 19th, 2005, 02:17 PM
Prin, poor doggie, he's probably so excited to actually get out, that he pees all the way down the stairs. My parents used to have a rat terrier and he when I would go and visit them he would get so excited that he'd pee on my feet waiting for me to pick him up :D

I know what you mean, I try to stay out of my neighbors' business too, but sometimes it's all I can do to keep it to myself.

MIA
May 19th, 2005, 02:23 PM
It's sad when people ruin lovely little dogs!!!! What a shame....