Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hazel is a wuss!

kandy
May 18th, 2005, 11:35 AM
I know that she is still young (11 weeks) but Hazel is a giant wuss!! Last night, one of the bigger neighborhood dogs started barking while we were outside and she almost left peel out marks in the grass trying to get back into the house - the problem is she was in the middle of pooping. I took her back outside right away, but she wouldn't finish her business. I have noticed before that she is scared of things. One night while outside, she was barking at something so I went to the fence and looked to show her that the pack leader was checking it out. When I turned around, she was sitting in the doorway like she was afraid it was going to get me! She'll zoom back inside if the trains clang together, or if there is a loud noise on the tv she'll want up in your lap immediately. We have a dog door, so she can get back inside whenever she wants although I still go outside with her when she goes to make sure that she is pottying. Any ideas on how to get her over the fear of everything?? I know that timid dogs are more likely to bite and I don't want her to be timid. I haven't been trying to comfort her when she's scared because I don't want her thinking that I am praising her for being scared. I have dogs that were scared of things (like thunder or fireworks) but I've never had a dog that seems to freak out at the least little thing.

levimh
May 18th, 2005, 12:42 PM
Just a suggestion, but you could try training her with noise. For example, make her sit and then make some noise with a pot (or whatever). If she doesn't do anything, reward it. Gradually make the noise bigger, as well as move on to different noises. :)

Lizzie
May 18th, 2005, 01:09 PM
She needs to feel safe in these situations to learn that they are okay. It's your job to do it. She's far too young to be expected to not have a fear of these things...

When a train comes and she goes running, you should stay near her and watch the train together. Don't baby her as she'll come to think that she needs it, but don't force her to go through it alone.

There are a bunch of threads on here about this sort of thing....you should have a look around. I'm sure there will be tons of valuable information to help you out!

goldenblaze
May 18th, 2005, 02:17 PM
I have the same problem with Jordie he is scared of everything..wind even. He hides often under the sofa, I feel sorry for him and yes I did baby him as a pup. It's my fault he is this way and I try now to stop holding him as he climbs up my leg. When people come to my house he is so scare he wants on me, no onw has ever hurt him and of course I would never let anything happen to him but it does bother me that he is this way. I don't leave him with people but would love to someday go away with out him being with me. Good luck with Hazel hope you can fix this problem while she is young.

Princesss04
May 18th, 2005, 02:21 PM
I have the same problem with Jordie he is scared of everything..wind even. He hides often under the sofa, I feel sorry for him and yes I did baby him as a pup. It's my fault he is this way and I try now to stop holding him as he climbs up my leg. When people come to my house he is so scare he wants on me, no onw has ever hurt him and of course I would never let anything happen to him but it does bother me that he is this way. I don't leave him with people but would love to someday go away with out him being with me. Good luck with Hazel hope you can fix this problem while she is young.

Blaze I can imagine poor Jordie on a windy day! LOL :D He just loves his mommy and their is nothing wrong with that. :D As far as the being scared thing not sure what to tell you. Meater is a dare devil, where Chino is a little more scared but not bad. :D

kandy
May 18th, 2005, 06:12 PM
I didn't expect her to not be afraid of anything - she is just a baby after all - but it seems like all of sudden she is afraid of everything whereas before I only noticed a couple of things that freaked her out. As far as I know, nothing has happened that would make her scared. I have tried to show her that I am calm, hoping that if she sees that I am not afraid, that she'll realize that she doesn't have to fear it either. As for the trains, unfortunately you can't see them from my house - but you can hear them pretty well. I also don't want to try to comfort her because then she'll think that it's ok to freak out and run. Hopefully she'll outgrow it and in the meantime I will search the threads for other discussions on this topic. Thanks! :)

goldenblaze
May 18th, 2005, 09:33 PM
Kandy I'm not sure she will just grow out of this, I hope she does but for some reason she is scared of these things and has to learn nothing will hurt her. Jordie has not grown out of it and I don't know what to do with him, it's hard I agree with you.

Princess, yes poor little Jordie is afraid the wind might take him too far away from Mommy. :D

kandy
May 19th, 2005, 05:00 PM
While looking at the other threads about fear in puppies, I did find quite a few references to fear stages in puppies, so I am going to research that online a little more. My husband says she does the same thing at work - if she's outside and a dog barks at her (even from a passing car) she will hightail it back to the door. She is definitely not afraid of Parker barking at her though - she either barks back or jumps on his head! :p Last night while in the backyard playing with her, she was barking at me and after a couple of barks, another dog in the neighborhood started to answer her. She would bark and it would bark. The first time she kind of jumped and looked at me. When it didn't bark again, she went back to playing. When she barked again, it barked again in response. It was kind of funny because she would bark once and the other dog would bark once, then she would bark one more time, and the other dog would bark one bark back at her. After about 4 times of him answering her, she quit barking, but she didn't go running for the house!

hazelrunpack
October 11th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Here's another suggestion to give Hazel a little more confidence--it's worked well with my setters. When Hazel reacts with timidity, you put on your best 'oh, I'm so happy, what a great sound (event, critter, etc) that is!' act with a happy high voice and confident body posture. Even better, if Hazel stays in reach, while you're 'being excited and happy', pet her happily. This isn't coddling--this is sharing a happy experience. It doesn't always work, but setters can tend to be Wussies in a big way, and this seems to help. (One caveat--don't overdo it or she'll just think you're nuts.)

Prin
October 11th, 2006, 03:11 PM
This thread is over a year old. Kandy hasn't been here for a while, but maybe this will make her come back.:fingerscr :fingerscr :)

hazelrunpack
October 11th, 2006, 04:54 PM
But I thought it was worth the chance that Kandy might see it. Didn't realize she'd been gone for that long, though. It's a shame--I just happened to catch her post during a Yahoo search for something else and it was something I could help with. :sad: Signed up special, even. Oh, well... I'm not much one for these things, anyway. :)

LavenderRott
October 11th, 2006, 06:29 PM
But I thought it was worth the chance that Kandy might see it. Didn't realize she'd been gone for that long, though. It's a shame--I just happened to catch her post during a Yahoo search for something else and it was something I could help with. :sad: Signed up special, even. Oh, well... I'm not much one for these things, anyway. :)

And here we thought you signed up 'cuz we looked like such a fun group! :D

Don't worry, someone will be here soon that you can help - I promise!