Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Why does she whine??

kandy
May 18th, 2005, 11:27 AM
I searched the threads, and although I found some on whining, they were all related to either seperation anxiety when left alone or crate training. My problem is neither one.

Since the first day we got Hazel, she whines. On the ride home (5 hours) she whined almost constantly - she only stopped if she was sleeping. We stopped probably 5 times thinking she had to potty. Once we got her home, she was only whining at night when she had to potty, and of course, outside we'd go. The thing is that she whines terribly whenever she has to ride in a car and since my husband started his golf league she whines horribly on the nights that he is golfing. I am not talking any soft whimpers either, I am talking full out whining and crying! She is doing really well with her potty training - and of course I take her outside every time she whines (which on Tuesday nights is almost constantly) but I can't figure out why she cries! Is she suffering from seperation anxiety even though I am still there?? What can I do to get her over this?

BMDLuver
May 18th, 2005, 11:36 AM
Poor sweetie. She's having trouble adjusting. Any different change in the routine, ie. husband golfing makes her nervous and unsettled. This will dissipate with time. I have three dogs presently here who all go dead when I try to place them in the car for a trip... I attribute it to a car trip being a memory of loss so they get nervous that they are going to be dumped elsewhere on this trip. It's slowly getting better but they still are difficult to get in a vehicle. One is so bad that she drools to the point of soaking herself and vomiting. I used gravol last trip and it stopped the vomiting but not the drooling. My next step is clomacalm to help with the anxiety. I would only need to use it about 1/2 hour before a car trip and just on this particuliar dog.

Prin
May 18th, 2005, 12:18 PM
Just be careful about doing stuff for her when she's whining.... You don't want to accidently reward that. A dog I had for a week last summer would be lying on her side and start to cry for nothing. Just to make you turn your head. We ignored her and by the end of the week she was almost finished with the crying... I don't know if it will work on such a young puppy though..

BeagleMum
May 18th, 2005, 01:37 PM
My Spencer is the same way when I leave. He will ring the bell on the door to go out every 5 minutes when I am gone, just to see if I am out there. Even though Daddy is still home with him, he goes crazy. He wants Mommy.

I also agree, be very careful what you do when the dog is whining like that. If you try telling them “It’s ok, everything is ok” they hear “Good dog, keep on whining”

Try to just ignore it or try to distract the dog by doing something else like going for a walk or playing catch or something.

Good Luck!

mesaana
May 18th, 2005, 02:03 PM
Not useful in the car so much but in the house, may I recommend: obedience drills! My lab Honey was a whiner. When she didn't get attention (like throwing the ball which she wanted 23 hours a day), she whined. So I started doing this: Honey whined, I made her Sit/Down/Sit/Paw/Down... (different things but a LOT of downs in there). After a while, she started thinking maybe this was not exactly what she wanted and whined less... It never completely stopped, but it improved greatly. I also made sure I wasn't angry or overly enthusiastic with the obedience. More matter of fact... She'd get "good girl!" when she obeyed but nothing more. Then, I'd go back to what I was doing.

Hope this helps

Lyne

Princesss04
May 18th, 2005, 02:24 PM
Maybe she is whinning because she knows she gets to go out. Teach her the command enough. When you say it and she listens reward her and keep that up. That is how we got Chino to stop and the only time he whines now is if the alarm is going off and I am ignoring it, because he thinks when he hears the music he can get up. LOL He has not figured out if mom hits the snnoze button than he needs to wait. LOL Just kidding. :D

kandy
May 18th, 2005, 05:26 PM
Thank you all for responding. I know that if I react to her whining, I am basically rewarding her for it so other than taking her outside, I try not to react to it, although when I get frustrated I clap my hands and say "NO" like I do if she's being naughty. I think that she just wants her dad. She has bonded with him much more since she spends all day with him except for Saturdays when I work the shop and she goes with me. I'll keep trying to ignore her or distract her. I hope she gets over it and thank god it's only once a week that he's gone! :p

SarahLynn123
May 18th, 2005, 05:41 PM
Maybe when you go for car rides she can have her "special toy" she only gets it when you go for car rides so she will look forward to going and be quiet while playing with it. Shadow used to get really upset when we had to go to work or whatever (especially if bf left) now she looks forward to it! We start getting our lunchs together and shes by the fridge with her tail wagging waiting for us to bust out her cheeze whiz and bologne kong (or whatever the special filling is for the day)

Belle has a special toy too, at Gramma and Grandpa's house, its a squeaky bone that is always on the same shelf. She gets so excited when we head over there and she goes straight for it once we get in.