Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

blacklight urine detector

Katze
May 18th, 2005, 09:00 AM
Has anyone here ever used a blacklight to detect urine odors? I had a real estate agent in on the weekend and he right away said there is a noticeable cat odor throughout the house :( . This is inspight of my every effort to stay on top of things by persistently cleaning with enzyme agents- I go through gallons of it. I suppose I have been in denial as to the severity of the problem, and none of my acquaintances have wanted to be honest about it.
I know the sources of the spraying will have to go if this is to be remedied, and it is breaking my heart. I have been looking for homes for them for years, but people just aren't interested in adopting ex-alley cats.
Anyhow, I was wondering how effective I can expect the blacklight I ordered to be in detecting hidden spots.

Eleni
May 18th, 2005, 09:06 AM
are the cats neutered? is there a health problem causeing the spraying?
my husbands family had a cat that begun spraying, turned out he was diabetic and once treated did fine.

as far as blacklight i think you turn off the lights and shine the blacklight on rugs etc.

please dont get rid of your pets till you rule out health issues, many times spraying can be remedied

Eleni

Katze
May 18th, 2005, 09:27 AM
There are no health problems, and they are all neutered. A couple of the males continue to spray inspight of all interventions I have tried with the help of my vet. They do the rounds of the house spraying when they want to go outside. When I wake up I have to go around with my coffee in one hand and a bottle of enzymes in the other. Often the coffee machine and the kitchen counter have been squirted! But I have continued to stand by my cats inspight of this for years . :sad: