Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help!! Need Info a.s.a.p!!

twinmommy
May 18th, 2005, 06:46 AM
O.k. So today is my hubby's birthday and we are suppossedly going for lunch with his family. His sister is also intown with her hubby and baby and they are staying with my in-laws.

My MIL has fleas in her house and has had re-infested off and on since Christmas.

Due to the fact that this is a "family board" I will chose words like "pig-headed," and "boorish" to describe the MIL...of course--without offending any real boors or pot bellied pigs wihich we know and love. :D
She has refused to do her clean-up properly--i.e. just washing the towels that are on the back of the couch, or just leaving the carpet outside for a bit :eek: .

But of course,(and you knew this was coming) she claimed the fleas originally came from MY house.(hence my attitude ;) )

Anyways, enough venting, my real question is: Can we get fleas by just being near them? Or parking one diaper bag beside the other in the restaurant?? Or coats hanging together? We will not go to their house until the cat in question is flea free, but I wanted to know if their was any chance of catching fleas from the humans and "their stuff" :o Should I cancel the lunch?

I know it sounds paranoid, but with 4 pets,(my 2 cats are indoor so no pesticides) and 2 babies and home renos in process-- I just CAN'T handle a bout of fleas right now (as if there is EVER a good time :rolleyes: )

sorry for the length of this,
*already scratchin'* :o :rolleyes:

BMDLuver
May 18th, 2005, 06:54 AM
lol, you are having a time of it. I don't think you can transport fleas. They live in the carpets and furniture of a home but don't have longevity. They need an animal host. They lay eggs in stuff but they'd have to hatch to transport. I'm no flea expert but I think you're safe. Bet you would have preferred the cancellation idea huh. ;)

happycats
May 18th, 2005, 07:03 AM
My MIL (yours sounds just like mine LOL) has had flea infestations on MANY occasions, (I actually get bit by the little buggers, that's how I know) And I have never brought any home !! (I think they jump off right away, when they realize you aren't a cat of dog :D and not that yummy).
I don't think you will catch them in a restaurant.

When we visit my MIL house, we leave bags coats outside when we get home, and brush ourselves off before entering our house, and we have never had fleas ;) .
When she visits our house, I tell her, her dog is not welcome, as I cannot afford to have fleas in my home. She always says her dog doesn't have fleas, so I always have to pick one off the dog to prove it to her :yuck: . And tell her it's not healthy or fair to the poor dog to live like that!! Get advantage for Goodness sake!!

Sorry for ranting, but I know EXACTLY how you feel! ;)

Beaglemom
May 18th, 2005, 07:42 AM
I've actually heard that you can transport fleas into your house if you walk by a place where one fell off an animal they may jump onto your socks or shoes and you can take them in. They will feed on humans if there are no other pets to feed on. I'm not sure if they would stay on a human long enough to go from a restaurant to the car to the other house though.

I can understand your predicament. I wouldn't want a flea infestation either. Those suckers can be a real pain to get rid of when you have more than one pet! Not to mention the agony they cause their poor host!

Princesss04
May 18th, 2005, 09:23 AM
I hate fleas so I know how you feel on this one. I have always heard that you can transport fleas. I have also heard you can bring them in on your shoes and clothes. Now do I think this is a reason to not go to dinner no. I think that would cause more problems than the chance of getting a flea. I do understand though. I hate fleas and if their is one around I will know it. I do not have them nor do I want them so I know where you are coming from. Just use your best judgement here. :D

twinmommy
May 18th, 2005, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the replies guys.

Bmd--Is it that obvious??? heheh heh o.k., o.k., I'll go!! :rolleyes: Now I realy could use a shop-vac, no?? ;)

Happy--Good to know that I'm not alone and scratchin by me self here!! lol GAWD!! The power of suggestion!!!

Beaglemom and Princess--I think I will "stop, drop, and roll" :D outside my house JUST to be sure. Thanks for the warnings.

I mean, you can never be too safe, right? It's FLEAS for god's sake!! :D

I'll let you know how the itch, uh I mean lunch, goes!! :rolleyes:

Copper'sMom
May 18th, 2005, 10:06 AM
I will chose words like "pig-headed," and "boorish" to describe the MIL...of course--without offending any real boors or pot bellied pigs wihich we know and love. :D

LMAO!!!!

Happy b-day to your hubby! :party:

CyberKitten
May 18th, 2005, 12:10 PM
Oh dear - mother in laws, lol (Fortunately I get along well with my bf's mom but she is a typical Jewish mother and sometimes, arrrrgggggggh!!) At least she would never accuse you of having fleas I don't think! Gawd, that sounds awful!

Whatever you do, don't take the pets!!!! And I guess you have to bring the kids but I would not want to bring small children where there are fleas? Do you know where they are in her house?? All over I suppose, sighhhhhhhh!!

And I would wash carefully when I get home. Just the thought of fleas makes me itchy!!

Would she let you help her clean the house to rid it of fleas?

Jackie467
May 18th, 2005, 02:00 PM
I don't know how anyone could live with fleas, but then again i'm allergic to flea bites. As soon as I get bit the area swells up really big, I get hives all over my stomach (no matter where the bite was) and I have to go get a cortizone shot to stop iching. I don't think they could get transferred, I mean they would have to go from house to car to resturante then to another person to car to house. I don't think it would make it all the way, though you car could possibly get infested, but I dobt it. Good luck, I hope everything goes well and happy birthday to your hubby.

Luvmypit
May 18th, 2005, 02:22 PM
Leave the windows open on the drive home for any flea escapees!!!

lezzpezz
May 18th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Okay, from experience, fleas can and will travel anywhere with anyone to find a meal. So if you go to MIL's place, be prepared to possibly carry some little critters home with you. I would suggest that when you leave her home, change clothing outside and immediately launder it. You may wish to somehow de-flea your vehicle. When I worked for a vet, we had a dog come in who was infested after entering a house where construction had been ongoing for months. There was no one living in the house during renovations, except for fleas :eek: and when the dog came in, it was chow time! These little buggers can live a looonnnnggg time, or at least reproduce over and over again! Here's a little nugget I found to illustrate how bloodthirsty fleas actually are:

FLEA FACTS

A flea is an insect and a parasite. To be somewhat more precise, fleas are wingless, laterally compressed, blood*sucking parasites. Their shape is especially suited for a flea's lifelong quest of creeping through forests of hair, animal fur or feathers. Although they're excellent jumpers, their streamlined shape allows them to run quickly from one part of a host's anatomy to another, as you've undoubtedly witnessed if you've ever tried to capture one. The flea travels by jumping when it seeks a new host or wants to get away from an area quickly. On its head are a variety of feelers and knife*like suckers that allow the flea to pierce skin with surgical precision and to siphon blood.

Many flea species have eyes, but they are thought to be weak. However, many fleas can see light and they're attracted to changing patterns of light and shadows. Fleas can possibly hear, but they most certainly can feel vibrations, such as footsteps from humans or pawsteps from pets. It's uncertain whether a flea can smell, but fleas appear to be able to detect changes in carbon dioxide levels in the air. This is why fleas get excited and jump wildly whenever a human or animal breathes near them.

The flea's ability to find a host is perhaps best illustrated by an experiment that tested the senses of rabbit fleas. Two hundred and seventy fleas were marked (how, I don't know) and dropped at regular intervals in an 18,000*square*foot field surrounded by fencing. Three rabbits were let loose and were allowed to remain in the field for a few days. When the rabbits were examined, they were found to contain about half of the fleas originally released (Ref. 1). Unfortunately, this experiment illustrates fleas can readily identify a potential host and travel some distance to attack it. This is not particularly good news for us, but we must be aware of the flea's capabilities if we're to control it.

Karin
May 18th, 2005, 05:02 PM
Yes you can bring them home with you. Those little suckers can jump....I have seen fleas in newly constructed homes that have been pre-treated and new homes which have never been graced by a pet.

I too am allergic to fleas and will stop at nothing to make sure we stay flea free here. Living in the flea capital is not easy.

twinmommy
May 18th, 2005, 05:24 PM
o.k., but we did not actually go to her HOUSE, (god no!! ;) because I would be in a panic for sure, but we just met them at the restaurant, so as some poeple posted, the fleas would have to go on them, in their cars, to the restaurant and then jump from them to us and then we take them home....

Anyways, we went to the lunch.....and I can't stop scratching!!!
(But I was scratching BEFORE we even went :rolleyes: just the thought!!)

I wouldn't go to their house.....please tell me it's a long shot!!

Is their anything I can do as a preventitive measure Karin? Keeping in mind that I have 2 toddlers so stuff like borax is out.

Karin
May 18th, 2005, 08:03 PM
Is their anything I can do as a preventitive measure Karin? Keeping in mind that I have 2 toddlers so stuff like borax is out.

Sorry, I did hear that Merial is working on a human Frontline product....just kidding, but I wish it was that easy.

Vacuum often with a good flea collar in the collection bag, and change it often too. Use flea control products on your pets. Allow your property to be used for nuclear testing by communists countrys. Educating your mother in law would be more difficult than the latter.

Everyone wishing you good luck would be a great start.

Good luck and death to fleas!

twinmommy
May 18th, 2005, 08:10 PM
CK--I would go and help her clean--but according to her there is no fleas!!! I guess they just throw out carpets on a weekly basis for fun!! ;)

Yep. Must be nice in her world.

Thanks for the birthday wishes,Jackie, we did have a nice time, and I DID drive home with the windows open , Lezzerpezzer!!! LOL

All our clothes have been laundered. I've changed twice since we've been home and still scratching!!! I keep making him check the back of my neck and he keeps saying "There's NOTHING there!!!!" :rolleyes:

twinmommy
May 18th, 2005, 08:15 PM
Allow your property to be used for nuclear testing by communists countrys. Educating your mother in law would be more difficult than the latter.

ROTFLMAO!!! http://bestsmileys.com/lol/1.gif

Actually....your right. :rolleyes:
Too bad her pets have to be miserable because she is so stubborn.

As an afterthought, I have no carpet ANYWHERE. Of course I'll vacuum, but can they survive just on the floor like that? Maybe I could make them a miniature dance floor.......

uh oh.

do I feel a silly thread coming on????!!

*twinmommy ducks out to go look for "flea smileys" *http://www.discodelic.netfirms.com/scared-boltaway1.gif

BMDLuver
May 18th, 2005, 09:02 PM
I really like those disco glitter balls, maybe the fleas would like one? :rolleyes:

Karin
May 18th, 2005, 09:22 PM
I really like those disco glitter balls, maybe the fleas would like one? :rolleyes:

Are they suppose to strap them on, act proud and strut their stuff ?

I have a problem with the mental picture of disco glitter balls on fleas....

Like I said, I have a problem..lol!

BMDLuver
May 18th, 2005, 09:28 PM
Are they suppose to strap them on, act proud and strut their stuff ?

I have a problem with the mental picture of disco glitter balls on fleas....

Like I said, I have a problem..lol!
k, now I have a mental image of John Travolta and Olivia Newton John. I really hope that leaves my mind before bed. :eek:

Karin
May 18th, 2005, 09:40 PM
k, now I have a mental image of John Travolta and Olivia Newton John. I really hope that leaves my mind before bed. :eek:

Now you did it! Travolta lives and flys from his home a few miles from here at Jumbolair...everynight he buzzes us in his G-II. This puts a new meaning to the "Stayin' Alive" plan...I hope the winds are out of the east for a change tonight.....oooh,oooh oooh oh stayin' alive, stayin' alive....

Fleas release me, let me go.....

Cactus Flower
May 18th, 2005, 11:34 PM
she is a typical Jewish mother and sometimes, arrrrgggggggh

Yeeouch.

Hoping that wasn't meant as it came across.

Holiday
May 20th, 2005, 01:16 AM
I sell real estate, and I have gotten fleas in my car many times. I use salt, they just dont seam to like the flavor I guess. To help keep them off you and your little ones try Avon Skin So Soft. I dont sell the stuff but i do keep it around for fleas and misquitoes. Fleas can also live on your wood floors. Good luck. :sorry:

maddoxies
May 20th, 2005, 04:36 PM
Fleas live in your lawn, and therefore in flower pots in your house and love to hide in baseboards, so no carpeting does not mean no fleas.

Play some slow dance music, that will give you a chance to see them and step on them ;)

Sentinal for everyone !!!! :crazy: