Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

puppy mills on Oprah?

Jackie467
May 17th, 2005, 11:29 PM
No this is not another what do you think of Oprah thread lol. I post on a Italian greyhound board and they were talking about the episode with the dog whisperer. I haven't seen it, I don't really watch Oprah. Aparently two of the dogs he brought on the show with him were IGs and he made the comment that IGs are the best breed (or something like that). Well all the people on that board are now concerned that people will now run out and want IGs causing a demand that puppy mills will pick up on. as of right now while IGs are bred in puppy mills (I think every breed is) they are not as commenly bred as other dogs such as goldens and labs that are very popular. (most people have never heard of IGs) I decided to send an e-mail to Oprah about maybe doing a show on puppy mills and pet overpopulation. What do you all think? Is this a good idea? Also if it is maybe if lots of people contact her about this problem it will show how interesting it is and prompt her to do a show on it. Is this a good idea or should I just forget it?

JDG
May 17th, 2005, 11:36 PM
I can see a growth of interest in Greyhounds if they appeared on Oprah. . .how many authors now drive Bentleys thanks to Oprah and her book club? hahah. . .

I think its a great idea to suggest the story to her. . . .just don't be discouraged if you get no reply. . . (think about how many emails they must get everyday)

Perhaps write a letter that could be sent to many shows and news programs, and fingers crossed, someone will bite. . . .

Good luck, and please share the letter once its done! :)

Prin
May 17th, 2005, 11:45 PM
Michael Bolton sold like 2 cds in a year and when he went on oprah, he sold 300 000 in one day. She makes a huge difference. If you go to her message boards a lot of people talk about wanting her to do a show on mills and pet abuse. More letters the better, I guess. I hate it when dogs are used for any type of public example-- like Weimeraners-- they are so difficult to train and really require someone with time and experience-- yet because they are beautiful and different, they are all over in ads. I hate it. :mad:

I wish the movie was 101 Houseplants... :)

Karin
May 18th, 2005, 06:17 AM
She has already done one show on animal abuse and puppy mills. I believe it was in the early '90's. The show also portrayed exoctic animal fanatics who buy on a whim then relize the animal was not what they expected. Jack Hanna was on this show also with some animals suffering the after effects of these people.