Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

spray bottle for dog

wilpark
May 17th, 2005, 07:03 PM
hi all. question about using spray bottles for training a small dog. someone actually advised us to use a spray bottle to help lessen the barking and it has been working pretty well. so well in fact that we are thinking about using the spray bottle to eliminate other bad habits, like jumping up on people, etc.

Is this a bad idea? it seems like a humane way to get rid of bad habits but i just want to make sure there aren't factors that i'm not considering before doing it.

thanks guys.

levimh
May 17th, 2005, 08:03 PM
I don't really have anything against this method, however I didn't use it for my dog at all, because I've heard of dogs being tramatized by being sprayed by a hose, etc. My dog already hates puddles, lakes, etc., so I didn't want to further his dislike of water.

dmc123
May 17th, 2005, 09:01 PM
We use squirt bottles on both our dogs and cats. It works pretty well. Delaney hates the spray bottle but loves to be squirted with the water hose, lol, go figure! Sorry I don't have pics of that, but here's a pic when she was young getting doused with water from a squirt ball:

tenderfoot
May 17th, 2005, 10:31 PM
Do you want to carry a spray bottle around every where? Are you going to be able to change behaviors if your spray bottle disappears? Is your dog stopping to avoid something unpleasant or out of respect for his parents? Does it change his idea about who is in charge?
Better to teach good manners by using your voice, body language and attitude. You always have those handy and he is behaving out of respect for you.
We once worked with an elderly couple and their young G.Shepherd. Upon entering the very small living room your eye noticed 9 spray bottles scattered throughout the room. Obviously the dog wasn't learning and the people had become dependant on the bottles which were everywhere. All it took was teaching them how to be more effective parents and no more bottles.