Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Vet missed internal bleeding??

kandy
May 17th, 2005, 05:05 PM
A coworker (and friend) of mine lost her 9 mo old mastiff this morning. Another coworker told me about it as us dog lovers stick together. Apparently Henry got hit by a car last night (don't know why he wasn't leashed or what exactly happened) and they rushed him to the vet. The vet x-rayed him and said that he was a little bruised but would be fine. This morning when they got up, Henry was having trouble breathing so they rushed him back to the vet. Apparently, he had some internal bleeding that the vet didn't catch last night. He died shortly after they got him to the vet. My question is - how did the vet miss that?? I know it isn't the same vet I take Hazel to, so I'm not worried in that respect. I just can't believe that the vet didn't catch this! Although I haven't spoken to her yet, I am sure that she is just heartbroken! She always brought in new pix to show me how Henry was growing. :sad: :sad:

Prin
May 17th, 2005, 05:44 PM
How sad!!! When Boo got hit, I checked his abs so often. I took a human emergency care course for exercise science, and I know that when they bleed in the abdomen, the abs tighten up.

Sucks for this owner though. I hate it when good owners suffer because of vet incompetence. :mad:

Karin
May 17th, 2005, 05:59 PM
Xrays do not always show soft tissue problems. Unfortunately vet's cannot afford all the diagnostic equipment large human hospitals have...and this is missed by hospitals on people too. A friend of mine was in an accident 10 years ago, t-boned by a red light running drunk. After being hospitalized for 3 days she got her release to go home, (broken arm, ribs and bruised like a bad apple)..while her hubby was signing paperwork she died from internal bleeding at the desk in her discharge wheelchair.

Beaglemom
May 18th, 2005, 07:22 AM
This is so sad. When an animal is hit by a car, the risk for internal bleeding is extremely high. I would think that the colour of the gums would be an indication of internal bleeding. If they are pale and not pink, blood is being lost.

Karin, I'm so sorry about your friend. It's scarey to think that she was bleeding internally the whole time and went unnoticed at the hospital.

kandy
May 18th, 2005, 09:42 AM
Karin: I am so sorry to hear about your friend - that is very scary. Did it result in a lawsuit?

Henry's mom worked in a vet's office at one time, so I would think that she would've had the knowledge to look for signs of internal bleeding. Although from what the other coworker told me, the car didn't run over him, it just bumped him. Maybe they thought that the hit wasn't hard enough to cause internal bleeding. I don't know - I just can't believe that they missed this. Is there anything else the vet could've done to check for internal bleeding? I just wonder so that if I ever (god forbid) have to go through this, I'll know what tests to insist the vet perform.

Karin
May 18th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Karin: I am so sorry to hear about your friend - that is very scary. Did it result in a lawsuit?

Henry's mom worked in a vet's office at one time, so I would think that she would've had the knowledge to look for signs of internal bleeding. Although from what the other coworker told me, the car didn't run over him, it just bumped him. Maybe they thought that the hit wasn't hard enough to cause internal bleeding. I don't know - I just can't believe that they missed this. Is there anything else the vet could've done to check for internal bleeding? I just wonder so that if I ever (god forbid) have to go through this, I'll know what tests to insist the vet perform.

A lawsuit was settled out of court. She left behind her husband and 8 year old daughter.

There were no signs. The autopsy showed she basically bled out from a already damaged artery that got jarred and opened up suddenly from her moving around, getting ready to leave. Even being at a hospital nothing could have saved her except maybe exploritory surgery following her being admitted. There were no indications requiring surgery though.

The hospital was not named or held responsible in the lawsuit. The drunk driver was found guilty of vehicular manslaughter and he was working, driving a company van at the time. The insurance company paid dearly.

kandy
May 18th, 2005, 05:20 PM
I know that money can't make up for loss of the mom and wife - but it might make it easier for the dad to hire nannies, whatever, to help him raise the child. That is so sad! :sad:

Karin
May 18th, 2005, 07:44 PM
Stephanie recently turned 19. She graduated from the Cedar Key high school last year. Last time I talked with her she was weighing what to do next...college or a career in the military. Steve, her father has since remarried and still lives in the same house.( Katey's death happened 10 years ago.)

The point I was trying to make was in diagnostics...with all the medical technology availabe it was of no use to the doctors working on Katey. The good ole standby, a crystal ball would have come in handy at the time. Medicine cannot be confused with miracles. Medicine is not an "exact science" either...if that were the case, we would all live forever.

Accidents happen as does death. It is so easy to blame the doctor that you rely on to save a life. They are not miracle workers, they do try to live up to that title for our sake, but they carry a burden doing so.
I doubt the vet treating this dog meant any harm and I believe he tried his best to his ability to do what he could, sometimes it is out of their control.

*spoken by me, a person who has a right to hate doctors/vets but does not*

MIA
May 19th, 2005, 12:18 PM
Please remember vets/doctors are humans too, we can't be 100% perfect every day. I know I make the odd mistake at work, I do my best not to but I am human, just as vets, doctors, dentists, lawyers etc are....

I am sorry for the loses.

kandy
May 19th, 2005, 04:35 PM
I'm sure the vet was a good one since I can't see Beth taking her babies to someone who was incompetent and I'm sure you are all right that they did everything they could, but my question is if there was some other test that would've shown the internal bleeding. Would an ultrasound show internal bleeding?