Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Grrrrr....vent about neighbours

Bearsmom
May 17th, 2005, 04:04 PM
We bought our house in December of 2004, have a fully fenced yard, but the fence is about 4 feet. I was out front gardening today, and my retired nosy neighbour comes over and says, "I just wanted to let you know that your dogs can easily clear that fence and bite me."

I replied that, no, Bear is friendly with people he knows, (and he knows this neighbour), but that if the neighbour keeps sticking his head and hands over the fence, they're going to jump up to say hi, and that's it. (the puppy is way too short to even think of going near the top of the fence). Neighbour replies that he thinks Bear could attack anyone who came in the yard. I replied that if someone comes in the yard, and we don't know them, or the reason for them being in the yard, then, I will not discipline him for protecting his home!

Then I asked the neighbour if he was afraid of Bear and would he like to come into the yard to meet him (neighbour has met him several times). Neighbour says that no, he used to be a breeder, and is comfortable with all dogs. Oh, okay, I replied, then why the concern over the dog?

Neighbour says, get this, "you've got so much junk in your backyard that I'm more concerned about that." I said, "well, we moved in in December, the previous owners left it a mess (it's really not that bad, just some old pieces of wood and a HUGE metal beam-we're still trying to figure out why that's there), and told him as soon as we get a decent weekend, it'll be cleaned up, PLUS, I'm a shiftworker, PLUS raising a two year old, so forgive me if I don't spend every waking moment fussing over our stupid yard.

He said that he would come over and clean it for us, (NO THANKS), but he was concerned about the dog. No thanks, I replied, and while we're talking about the yard, could he get his corgi to stop using our front yard as his toilet? I'm tired of picking up his dog's poop. (it's bad enough we've got to pick up the yard poop in our backyard from two dogs).

My frustration is that EVERY time I'm outside, this guy comes over and criticizes something about our house (we KNOW it needs a new roof, and are getting to it, we KNOW we need a new shed, and are getting to it), I'm just so pissed off right now!

BMDLuver
May 17th, 2005, 04:08 PM
Aren't neighbours just wonderful! I don't engage in conversation with most of mine. I find that they rarely have anything good to say so it's pointless. We have one good set but the other 4, no thanks.

Sorry you are having such a tough time with yours.

happycats
May 17th, 2005, 04:15 PM
I Know how you feel, I have one of those neighbors too!! (he is off work on disibility and has waaaay to much time on his hands!) He goes so far as to tell me what flowers I should plant! he prunes my trees without my permission when I'm not home, tells me to re-shingle my shed because he is tired of looking at my old roof! Trust me, when I pass wind, he's the first one to smell it, and say "whats that ??" :eek:
I finally got fed up one day, and very nicely with a big smile on my face I told him "when you pay my mortgage, you can dictate what I do in and around my house, but until then I suggest you keep your comments to yourself!!" :D then I said "have a nice day" :evil:

kandy
May 17th, 2005, 04:26 PM
I've got one of those neighbors too! This old man is retired and I think he's about 100 years old. He stands in front of my house and scowls. He even put up chicken wire on the bottom of the fence that separates our yards so that our leaves wouldn't blow into his yard. He gets really mad if we walk on his grass that's next to the street. I pulled up to my house one afternoon last summer, and he was setting his sprinkler - he told me that I needed to move my car so that it wouldn't get wet. I told him that I didn't think it would melt. :evil: The next day my mom came over and she left her windows down on her jeep. When she went to leave, he had placed his sprinkler so that it was spraying right into her jeep! I told her it was my fault cuz I got smart with him. He thinks that because he spends 23 1/2 hours a day on his yard, that we should too. He also trims our trees if they go over the fence even 1/4 of an inch and will throw tree branches that have fallen out of any of our trees back into our yard if the wind happens to land them in his yard. I am normally really respectful of the elderly, but this guy is a piece of work!

Luvmypit
May 17th, 2005, 04:26 PM
Arggh .. We move into are new house (our first house yeah@@!!!) and Im so worried about neighbours. Just because of our dog. I don't handle comments very well or ignorant people.

Good for you keeping your cool... I wouldn't be able to !!

I just wonder what goes through peoples head.

Bearsmom use what Happy cats said... Its perfect.. Makes sense and even a baffoon could take the hint.

Bearsmom
May 17th, 2005, 04:38 PM
happycats I LOVE that line...maybe I'll use it next time. I just cringe every time he starts heading my way with his opening line of, "not that I'm trying to tell you what to do...." YEAH, YOU ARE!!!!

Told hubby about it, and he says, "funny, he never says anything to me". Yeah, Scotty, it's because you look mean as hell! LOL.

Figured that next time his dog poops on our front yard, (because I see this dog do this), I'll just leave it in a nice pile outside his front door.

I'm still fuming. (although, from reading some of the responses and experiences with neighbours, maybe mine isn't so bad) :)

happycats
May 17th, 2005, 04:51 PM
The neighbor tells me when to take my christmas lights down~!! (Jan 1 :eek: )
My hubby got so mad he left them in the tree for a whole year!! The neighbor was mad :evil: . The neighbor never told us to take the christmas lights down again though!!

Rick C
May 17th, 2005, 04:54 PM
We bought our house in December of 2004, have a fully fenced yard, but the fence is about 4 feet. I was out front gardening today, and my retired nosy neighbour comes over and says, "I just wanted to let you know that your dogs can easily clear that fence and bite me."

I replied that, no, Bear is friendly with people he knows, (and he knows this neighbour), but that if the neighbour keeps sticking his head and hands over the fence, they're going to jump up to say hi, and that's it. (the puppy is way too short to even think of going near the top of the fence). Neighbour replies that he thinks Bear could attack anyone who came in the yard. I replied that if someone comes in the yard, and we don't know them, or the reason for them being in the yard, then, I will not discipline him for protecting his home!

Then I asked the neighbour if he was afraid of Bear and would he like to come into the yard to meet him (neighbour has met him several times). Neighbour says that no, he used to be a breeder, and is comfortable with all dogs. Oh, okay, I replied, then why the concern over the dog?

Neighbour says, get this, "you've got so much junk in your backyard that I'm more concerned about that." I said, "well, we moved in in December, the previous owners left it a mess (it's really not that bad, just some old pieces of wood and a HUGE metal beam-we're still trying to figure out why that's there), and told him as soon as we get a decent weekend, it'll be cleaned up, PLUS, I'm a shiftworker, PLUS raising a two year old, so forgive me if I don't spend every waking moment fussing over our stupid yard.

He said that he would come over and clean it for us, (NO THANKS), but he was concerned about the dog. No thanks, I replied, and while we're talking about the yard, could he get his corgi to stop using our front yard as his toilet? I'm tired of picking up his dog's poop. (it's bad enough we've got to pick up the yard poop in our backyard from two dogs).

My frustration is that EVERY time I'm outside, this guy comes over and criticizes something about our house (we KNOW it needs a new roof, and are getting to it, we KNOW we need a new shed, and are getting to it), I'm just so pissed off right now!

If it were me, I'd tell him to **** off and mind his own business and that would be the end of it.

But I also talk big from 3000 miles away.

Maybe you should tell him as far as you know Bear has only bitten people in the hands when they stick their mitts over the fence!!! :eek:

We had some terrible neighbours in Calgary but we also had a big fence and gigantic and thick trees so we didn't have to look at them or see them . . . . they even had an old armoured personnel carrier parked in their back yard lying on top of crushed bicycles and other crap!! But that was nothing compared to the juvenile deliquent 15 year-old they had whom I had several confrontations with and who was finally warned by the cops to keep his distance - stupid, chicken little ass.

Its nice in the country where we've been seven years . . . . the farmhand shoots at us once in a while even though he says he's aiming for gophers but otherwise, its pretty peaceful.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Bearsmom
May 17th, 2005, 05:40 PM
Oh my gawd, Rick, you made me spit water all over my monitor!!!! I've seen pictures of your property and would give my left arm for that much space...

Bear only dislikes people who appear to be a threat. Kaos dislikes whomever Bear does. It's pretty funny to see this puppy acting all tough when Bear's around.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 17th, 2005, 07:05 PM
Oh my god neighbours don't get me started. We haven't gotten along with ours since day one. Were total opposites their perfectionists everything of thiers is perfect, they cut thier grass every 48 hours, no weeds whats so ever, they sweep the road in front of their house, they wash thier cars every two days. They hate dogs they hate everyones kids, but will let thier kids play at your house for hours so they can have their cocktails but if your kids go to their house their quick to shoo them away and they tell us when to take our xmas lights down.

Yesterday their little girl was playing with our son in our backyard. Where I do have a bit of a weed problem which I am trying to control . Turns out both our kids got into some kind of weed and both had an allergic reaction to it her daughter way worse then my son. Her doctor thinks its poison ivy or poison oak no idea that I had it in my yard. Anyways I aplogized profusely to her and told her that I would tell the kids not to touch any plants back there.
Anyways she says her kids will never be allowed in our backyard again which is fine too bad for the kids though that they have to miss out even though I will never be friends with this woman our kids seem to get along ... I guess thats neighbours for ya!

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 17th, 2005, 08:18 PM
Actually do you mind if I just add on a little more about our neighbours.
The guy has a business that he tends to maybe 6 hours a week the rest of the time hes cutting his grass or playing golf.

Our neighbourhood had a block yard sale. So we all had stuff on our front lawn including him, but that was the particular he had marked on his calender to clean his garage, he had it planned for months. Anyways he got pretty irate when people starting making offers on his stuff. He had planned to clean his garage that day so there was no way that he was going to change it has his busy schedule could not possibly allow it!

Prin
May 18th, 2005, 12:11 AM
You guys are all scaring me a bit with these neighbor stories... We get our first house in 2 weeks and I am hoping I have better neighbors than you all do... I would have lashed back too... I would have probably told him to **** off and if he didn't have anything nice to say, please leave me alone.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 18th, 2005, 12:40 AM
Yes whatever happen with being friends or at least civil with our neighbours seeing as you got to live next to them for the next 20 years and possibly your kids are going to the same school and you possibly share the same front yard is it so dam hard to be nice. I just don't get people. But for every bad neighbour their seems to usually be a few good ones on the block too.

happycats
May 18th, 2005, 07:06 AM
Like the old saying goes. "Good fences make good neighbours!" :D
I like the "Hi" "Bye" neighbours; I don't want to have tea parties with them or go to their house or have them in my house, or gossip about the other neighbours.

We do our best to get along with our neighbour, as we know we have to live next to him for a long time, even though he drives us crazy! :crazy: . But just telling him his comments about our house and yard are not welcome, seems to help!

This is the same neighbour, who has just decided to breed boxers :sad: He's a hunter and used to breed Springer spaniels! (The male died, and they dumped the female on some farm) So basically we already have very little respect for them to begin with :mad:

nymph
May 18th, 2005, 04:33 PM
I keep a safe waving-smiling distance away from all my neighbors. Our conversations centered around "hi", "bye", and "what a nice day", and that's pretty much it. I just don't want to get cuddly with close neighbors.

Bearsmom
May 24th, 2005, 01:54 PM
Okay, so we finally get a nice weekend, I'm working my 14 hour night shifts, hubby gets the shed built (all the while minding our 2 year old).

When we emptied the old shed, we purposely put stuff EVERYWHERE in the back yard so that the neighbours would see it (sorry, I couldn't resist) :p .

Neighbour comes over, compliments hubby on his workmanship, and how fast he got it done. I had just woken up and went outside for a coffee and to chat with hubby in the 30 minutes I get to see them before I leave for work. (Keep in mind, I'm still bitter about having to work a long weekend, and a beautiful weekend at that). SHE Neighbour then comes over, and says to hubby, "Nice job on the shed, but the sun reflects off the plywood and really makes one of our bedrooms bright". Hubby replies, (and this is why I married the guy), "well, it really won't matter at NIGHT, now will it?"

I was so livid that I have dents in my tongue from biting it.

We're now deciding if we want to paint that side of the shed in hunter orange, neon purple, or gold and silver stripes with a nice shiny tinfoil accent.

Holy cow, no wonder the previous owners wanted to sell quickly!!!!

AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! !!

Schwinn
May 24th, 2005, 02:16 PM
I'd make a big tin outline of a face sticking it's tongue out, something that will make a nice mural on thier bedroom wall... (at least, that's my POLITE suggestion...)

happycats
May 24th, 2005, 02:16 PM
We're now deciding if we want to paint that side of the shed in hunter orange, neon purple, or gold and silver stripes with a nice shiny tinfoil accent.

LOL, that's to funny!! We painted our whole shed (redwood which I knew they hated) and left the side they see unpainted :evil: It drives them nuts :evil:

You should do the side facing their property purple with pink polka dots!!

nymph
May 24th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Ouch! HappyCats that was evil yet genius! :evil: :evil: :evil:

CyberKitten
May 24th, 2005, 04:10 PM
purple with pink polkas, sounds great, rofl!!

I have great neighbours so I cannot complain tho one - who is a friend - is messy but I have NEVER said anything to them ever. It is their property and so be it. They are honest and kind people and work hard (he is actually a great lawyer - yes there are some honest ones, lol - and his wife is a teacher). The only complaint I have ever had with a neighbour is one next door - she is a retired teacher and he is an accountant and once, they parked their car in my yard when they had visitors without asking. When I called, they said they thought I was away. Yes, my car was in the garage and I would actually have gladly said yes but I wished they'd asked first. In retrospect, I think they just assumed I would be positive about it. I have two lots and several of the houses here just have one so I have more room but that seems so minor when I hear your story!

Bearsmom
May 25th, 2005, 07:55 AM
We had cut up the old aluminum shed with a sawzall (a handy tool, if anyone's wondering), and contacted one of our local garbage pickers to come get it. As hubby and I were discussing where we'd leave the shed, neighbour comes over and says, 'when you get the old shed disposed of, we have some metal items we'd like to add'. UM NOOOOOWAYYYYYYY.

Guy came and got the old shed last night, and we conveniently "forgot" to let the neighbours know. hehehe

april21h1
May 25th, 2005, 09:34 AM
one of our neighbors is great. they spoil our animals almost as bad as we do. our dog only barks when they are outside becuse she knows she will be given a treat of some kind.
they have looked after the cats when we go away. she saw our black kitty out in the yard one day, we were only gone for about an hour and forgot to shut one window and he tore the screen and got out. she got him and put him in the shed and was getting her cat carrier to put him in when we got home.

but our other neighbors are crazy and i mean it. my bf planted trees around the edge of our property. and they came along and planted bigger trees right beside them on their side. :mad: so my bf says if the branches are on our side they are going to be cut :p

kandy
May 25th, 2005, 11:31 AM
I think I would put some big lights on the side of the shed that faces their house. You could put something that moves in front of the light so that every night they would have this moving mural on their bedroom wall! Maybe a cutout of the dog! :evil: I also like Schwinn's idea, and Happycats!

CyberKitten
May 25th, 2005, 11:49 AM
I do have one neighbour who actually uses binoculars to look into my house (we have a great view so that is her excuse). Alas, she is lonely and I really have nothing to hide and one can always draw the drapes. Plus, she has emotional problems and no one will ever enter my home without my knowing about with her and her binoculars, lol And she LOVES cats so with that I kind of overlook her eccentricities, hehheh

Bearsmom
May 25th, 2005, 03:11 PM
I do have one neighbour who actually uses binoculars to look into my house (we have a great view so that is her excuse). Alas, she is lonely and I really have nothing to hide and one can always draw the drapes. Plus, she has emotional problems and no one will ever enter my home without my knowing about with her and her binoculars, lol And she LOVES cats so with that I kind of overlook her eccentricities, hehheh

Hehehe, I'd just walk around naked wearing a collander on my head.....

But then again, I'm just mean that way :p

CyberKitten
May 25th, 2005, 05:00 PM
Actually Bearsmom, I do wave at her, lol Not sure if she waves back since my binoculars are away somewhere, :crazy:

Schwinn
May 25th, 2005, 05:36 PM
Hehehe, I'd just walk around naked wearing a collander on my head.....

But then again, I'm just mean that way :p

At first I wasn't sure what that said (probably because I'm a guy and to us it is a "steel bowl"), but I thought it said callander. I was trying to figure that out...maybe you were trying to suggest you wanted a date? :D

Bearsmom
May 26th, 2005, 05:47 AM
STEEL. BOWL. WITH. HOLES. USED. TO. DRAIN. THINGS. LIKE. PASTA. :D

Forgive my spelling, yesterday was a nasty day with a raging lunatic 2 yr old.

Anyways, going golfing today, supposed to be beautiful.

Schwinn
May 26th, 2005, 10:42 AM
STEEL. BOWL. WITH. HOLES. USED. TO. DRAIN. THINGS. LIKE. PASTA. :D

Forgive my spelling, yesterday was a nasty day with a raging lunatic 2 yr old.

Anyways, going golfing today, supposed to be beautiful.

Is that what it's for? Because I have to tell you, it makes a lousy water dish for Daisy!

No wonder Cheryl got upset when I said I threw it out because it was full of holes...

happycats
May 26th, 2005, 11:01 AM
Don't feel bad Schwinn, my HB calls it "that noodle strainer thingy", and when I correct him and say "collander" he laughs! He actually thinks I'm joking about the name! :rolleyes:

As for neighbors, One day I put a huge fake nose ring in (picture a bull) while I did my gardening, my neighbor took one look, eyes went wide :eek: and he ran in the house (to tell the family) I look up, and see they whole family looking at me from the window, (kinda like this) :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: .
LOL it was to funny :evil:

Isisgoddess
May 26th, 2005, 02:26 PM
I try to avoid talking to the neighbours.