Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Teach to squat or lift a leg when peeing??

SarahLynn123
May 17th, 2005, 10:25 AM
Wolf our little pomeranian (I think we are keeping him) just stops walking when he has to pee and starts to pee! No sqatting no lifting a leg, just standing there, which would be fine except he pees all over himself and to top it off he then walks through it! Gross!

Is there anyway to teach him to squat or lift a leg? I dont think it would be good to give him 6 baths/rinses a day.
Thanks
Sarah

Eleni
May 17th, 2005, 10:30 AM
Is he a pup?

i think lifting the leg is somethig pups mature into.

tho sam never has lifted his leg, im happy tho squatting is my preferance for sam, that way i dont have to see him lift his leg on a tree, or whatnot.

i ahve heard tho i dunno for sure, that neuterd dogs if they are neutered before they learn to lift their leg dont.

only real useful suggestion i ahve is wipe the Pom down with baby wipes after he does his thing, and keep his fur around his genital area trimmed up so that when he does pee its less likely to make him a mess

Eleni

SarahLynn123
May 17th, 2005, 10:35 AM
Thanks Eleni, he is 3 years old, neutered and shaved so the baby wipes should work perfect! He actually pees all over his front legs because he doesn't squat! What a buggar, I cant believe he cant feel himself getting wet!
I will get the wipes though, thanks for the idea!
Sarah

Eleni
May 17th, 2005, 10:36 AM
get the unscented ones, i found the scented ones bothered my sammys skin.

unscented should be hypo allergenic

Eleni

SnowDancer
May 17th, 2005, 01:29 PM
Agree with Eleni. My Eskimo doesn't lift his leg either - except outside of the vet's where there is a tree perfectly balanced in a concrete planter. He lifts his leg to a perfect 90 degree angle - a true ballerina - only time he does it. First time he lift his leg was on his way in to be neutered. He was considered the runt of the litter - couldn't be far from the truth - and didn't get much attention from his mom - so really never learned I guess. So he just goes - most of the time he will squat just a touch - enough that I can sometimes tell if he is going - but I do feel like a pervert. The ONLY think that saves his white fluffy hair from being covered is his very long legs. My Eskie weighs 21 lbs. so I guess a mini standard. Toy Eskies look much like Poms - except the longer leg helps. I must smell the free 12 packs of wipes that came with my last bottle of Nature's Miracle - at least Wolf isn't white. Glad that you are planning on keeping him - figured this would happen.

SarahLynn123
May 17th, 2005, 01:50 PM
We are very Lucky Wolf is not white!!! He kept comming in the house after being outside jumping on us and was wet! We couldn't figure out why for a couple days until I followed him around and watched him pee. Yep i felt like a pervert to! But we figured out what was going on!

About keeping him, I had been preparing myself to let him go. Bf said no more dogs and I believed him. So I had a couple families interested and bf says hes not sure anymore about adopting him out. Turns out he cant even lend out a CD to his best friend let alone adopt out a live animal to a stranger (trust issues I guess)! He's so small that we hardly notice the extra expense! Now we are waiting on his papers and vet papers to see what he needs and do a check up and we have out final pet!

Now that Im done rambling! Can I get any old non scented baby wipes from Walmart or should I go to the pet store and pick up pet specific wipes?
Thanks
Sarah

tenderfoot
May 17th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Some males need to to be inspired to lift their leg. The whole reason to lift a leg is to make your mark as high as you can to really impress your competition. I think Snowdancer's Eski lifted at the vets because the marking of past dogs was so intense he thought he's see if he could leave his mark (rather like boys competing with distance peeing - such twits!).
Lots of exposure to areas where other males have peed could improve his toilet manners.
So cool that the BF won't let him go now! Oh, maybe he could model marking trees for the little guy - just a thought (now I am getting preverse aren't I?) :p

SarahLynn123
May 17th, 2005, 03:00 PM
Oh, maybe he could model marking trees for the little guy - just a thought (now I am getting preverse aren't I?)

hahaha that is to funny, I can just imagine that!!!! Him trying to hide from the neighbours while "marking his territory" I love it. Im going to pass on your idea!!!

Funny thing is that both my girls lift their leg to pee! We usually go to off leash parks, Once Shadow gets better we will go to some busy parks, maybe a male dog will have better luck teaching him if the bf cant get through ti him!!!!

Thanks!
Sarah

Dog Dancer
May 17th, 2005, 07:00 PM
So funny that your Shadow lifts her leg - so does my Shadow! She's an akita X and is very dominant. I always got female dogs so I wouldn't have a male marking his territory on everything over an inch high and now my female does it. She has to lift her leg on every tree we pass, well she'll try if we let her but now we have to lay down the law. My lab female just squats as she walks and tinkles - she doesn't hardly slow down her pace. I had a friend years ago who had a toy poodle male who pee'd by standing on his two front feet, butt up in the air, and peeing down his belly! :yuck:

goldenblaze
May 18th, 2005, 11:14 AM
Blaze is now 15 mths old and has never once lifted his leg to pee, he just stops doing whatever he's doing and pees. I really don't mind if he never lifts his legs but Jordie has always pees against something..even if it's long grass. :crazy:

SarahLynn123
May 18th, 2005, 12:10 PM
So funny that your Shadow lifts her leg - so does my Shadow! She's an akita X and is very dominant. I always got female dogs so I wouldn't have a male marking his territory on everything over an inch high and now my female does it. She has to lift her leg on every tree we pass, well she'll try if we let her but now we have to lay down the law. My lab female just squats as she walks and tinkles - she doesn't hardly slow down her pace. I had a friend years ago who had a toy poodle male who pee'd by standing on his two front feet, butt up in the air, and peeing down his belly! :yuck:

I cant believe there is even more in common with our dogs (Shadow!) I bet you too get people telling you how hansom you boy is!!! Then look at you like your crazy when you say she's a girl!!!!

I am so glad wolf just pees on his legs and not down his belly!!! Thanks for reminding me that it could be worse!!!!!

Gripenfelter
May 18th, 2005, 12:17 PM
My pup used to just stand when he was 4 weeks old. Then he squated at 8 weeks. Now he lifts a leg after 20 weeks.

SarahLynn123
May 18th, 2005, 12:27 PM
My pup used to just stand when he was 4 weeks old. Then he squated at 8 weeks. Now he lifts a leg after 20 weeks.

So I can still have hope!!!!!!! My little guy is 3 years old, but this is first time around dogs! Hopefully he will pick it up when he sees anothr male dog do it!

Dog Dancer
May 18th, 2005, 01:34 PM
Yeah, I get strange looks and laughs from people when they realize my girl is lifting her leg to pee on a tree! Maybe we shouldn't have named our dogs Shadow given all their little "issues"??? Could it be the name? Nah. I heard a story about someone who's dane puppy lifted his leg while standing on a hill the first time he tried, he fell down the hill and never lifted his leg again. Don't blame him.

Copper'sMom
May 18th, 2005, 01:43 PM
My boy is 4 years old and still squats!!! Occasionally, he lifts his leg but not often!

SarahLynn123
May 18th, 2005, 01:52 PM
Yeah, I get strange looks and laughs from people when they realize my girl is lifting her leg to pee on a tree! Maybe we shouldn't have named our dogs Shadow given all their little "issues"??? Could it be the name? Nah. I heard a story about someone who's dane puppy lifted his leg while standing on a hill the first time he tried, he fell down the hill and never lifted his leg again. Don't blame him.

Thats halarious!!!! I dont blame him either!

SarahLynn123
May 18th, 2005, 01:54 PM
My boy is 4 years old and still squats!!! Occasionally, he lifts his leg but not often!

Gotta love the squatters, they make less of a mess!!! Poor Wolf doesn't even squat, he stands stright up and pees all over his front legs :yuck: Nothing a few baby wipes wont take care of!!!!!

Beautygirl
May 23rd, 2005, 02:58 PM
Beauty will also lift her leg to pee sometimes. Alot of dogs walk the same area that we do and she has to do her little squirt thing everywhere. My friend's dog still won't lift his leg to pee and he's over a year old now. Maybe she should take him where another male has peed.

Dogastrophe
June 5th, 2005, 03:28 PM
I have a friend whose Lab's favorite peeing position is standing high on hind legs with front resting against a fence (almost vertical), tree, house, car etc ... while it is extremely funny to watch, I'm glad that it's not my fence, house or car.

Note that he originally taught the dog to do this as a joke, now the dog does it as though it is normal.