Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog park or just park Q

melanie
May 17th, 2005, 01:02 AM
hi all, there is so much stuff here about dog parks, and who likes em and who does not. im not asking for any opinions and would prefer none here. this thread is not for the discussion of it, im jsut wondering -

what i would like to know is this-

when you say dog park are you refering to an area of land strictly dedicated to dogs or at least allow dogs, and is it refered officially in the title as a dog park

or

are you refering to a dog park meaning the old park or oval up the road which is frequented by other dogs??

just wondering what is a dog park in your vocab, it can be a bit confusing. thanks

PS we dont have dog park, just large sports fields ( is also a flood mitigation area) in which you can legally have dog off leash (big area, sorta hear an echo when you fart if ya know what i mean:D :p ) lol

Prin
May 17th, 2005, 01:22 AM
Mine is a 27 000 sq ft fenced in area designated by the city as an offleash dog park. There are rules and a committee that oversees the maintenance (we mow the grass, change the garbages, plant grass in the spring, etc) and the politics, finding members, buying equipment, etc. Our annual meeting is tomorrow and the president is stepping down. (FINALLY-- he's re-elected himself 2 times already...) I'm half hoping to get it, but people are unsure because I'm moving out of montreal. I'll still go though, because I believe that park is the best one in the area and I have put so much work into it too. I believe our park is the only park around here that is maintained by the members. We were given a piece of land by the city and the members paid for the fence, etc, so we take really good care of our park. My doggies' elementary school... :)

Lissa
May 17th, 2005, 07:10 AM
When I am referring to a dog park, it is designated an off-leash area for dogs (in certain areas it is suppose to be on-leash though nobody obeys that rule). It is quite large, it was a sand pit but there's tons of trees and trails and also a couple of clearings for the dogs to run.
It's on NCC land and they hire a company to remove the wastes (that actually make it to tha garbage cans)
I wish ours was more like yours, Prin, it sounds like a lot of you work together to make the park better. I wish mine had a membership fee, maybe we would end up with more responsible dog owners (although trying to enforce that would be a nightmare!!)

Melissa

BMDLuver
May 17th, 2005, 07:21 AM
Designated, fenced in area strictly for dogs. Some are monitored and require membership, some are a free for all.

raingirl
May 17th, 2005, 07:48 AM
When I say dog park, I mean the designated off leash fenced in area the city created. There are only two in Brampton.

levimh
May 17th, 2005, 12:25 PM
MY "dog park" is a fenced in area next to the harbour. There are trees and bushes and picnic tables. It's an "on-leash" park, but everybody takes their dogs off-leash anyway. It's fairly big, but you can see to the other end.

Here's a pic of one end.

Princesss04
May 17th, 2005, 01:06 PM
When I think of a dog park I think of a place just for dogs. We do not have any around here that I know of. Now our normal people park you can bring your dog but they must be on a leash and you have to pick up their presents they leave you. :D

Jillybean
May 17th, 2005, 03:31 PM
We have a lot of off leash dog parks in Edmonton, I'm pretty lucky to live by one of them. It has a big creek running through it and tons of trails going into the trees. They usually have signs saying its an off leash area, attached to those signs are a bag full of bags just in case you forget to bring your own. Most people in my area respect the environment and pick up their dogs poo, although there are a few that dont bother to pick it up.

We have some "off leash" areas in the city that are right next to busy roads and there are no fences. Who would let even the most well behaved dog run off leash right beside a road with cars zooming by? I know I wouldn't trust it, what if something caught your dogs attention across the street and you couldnt call them back?

Crazy I tell ya!

melanie
May 17th, 2005, 04:28 PM
thanks everyone, that was great. boy your all pretty lucky to have esignatede areas for dogs, we dont really have to many of them but where in the bush so i sorta think that makes everywhere offleash dog areas :D

prin your so darn lucky, fancy that, its likea little doggy world, although hard work it must be a fun place,

yeah i agree with not fenced areas, i would never trust my girl in a small one, just because you never know. our old run area was not fenced but covered several kilometers before the road so it was not an issue.

again thanks guys, it seems through your responses htat the majority of you go to designated dog areas, not jsut play areas for all. very very interesting, i wonder if that is so common in other countires? i have a friend in sydneythat goesto a dog park, they even have a cafe serving dog treats, but no my country girl would never go there, definatly no city slicker is she.

thanks guys :grouphug:

Prin
May 17th, 2005, 05:38 PM
Here's the pic I have with the most park in it...