Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What is Clicker Training?

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 16th, 2005, 11:11 PM
Can anyone enlighten me as to what Clicker training and Lure reward training is?

babyrocky1
May 16th, 2005, 11:18 PM
Im not sure exactly about clicker training, but, lately Ive been snapping my fingers alot to get Rockys attention and it just seem to work so much better than my voice. I would like to know more as well.

Prin
May 17th, 2005, 01:10 AM
I believe clicker training is using a clicking device to signal to the dog when he has done something good. The dog works for the click instead of a cookie, or positive praise... Not sure, never used it. :)

raingirl
May 17th, 2005, 09:06 AM
Yeah prin. that's basically it. the reward is a click.

We used Lure training as it is a form of positive training (negative training is correcting the bad behaviour, positive training is rewarding the good behaviour)...something like that.

With Lure training, you use the food as a lure to the position, and you reward. We used the keyword "Yes" when he did it right, waited a few seconds, and then a treat. As time goes on and the dog gets better and better at the training, you add more time between Yes and treat...eventually no treats are used. that was what our Obedience level 1 was.

We are going to do Obedience level 2 this summer which is shorter and more focused on fun tricks like "scoot" "two handed wave" "play dead" etc, and starts clicker training for that.

It's fun!

LittleLoves
May 17th, 2005, 11:06 AM
Lady and I just started Basic Obedience Clicker Training at a pet training and resort. It's fantastic!

An example would be that I stand and call Lady to me, click, treat. Ask her to "sit", she does so I click, then treat. At first you don't use verbal cues to ask the dog to do anything, you just click to correct behaviour. For the first week we are told to simply click the clicker and then drop treats on the floor to get her used to the idea that the click is a positive thing. She is already showing some improvement!

SnowDancer
May 17th, 2005, 01:20 PM
My dog does not respond to the Clicker at all. They tested him at PetSmart and at a pet supply store. He will respond to a squeaker. We finally determined it was due to the hammering on the renovation from "H" next store that started a week after we got him last summer - many of the noises that went on all day - and night I might add - sounded close enough to a clicker that he finally just started to ignore it. Works for many people though.

tenderfoot
May 17th, 2005, 03:13 PM
Clicker training started with dolphins to get a specific behavior to repeat itself - click & give a fish so the dolphin wants to do it again. Everytime he hears the click he knows he did something right and that another fish is coming his way. This proved very effective especially when you are in the water with the dolphin and need to communicate your wishes and need him to respond immediately without challenging. A dolphin is very intelligent and powerful (can kill you in a heart beat or just incapacitate you so you can't function), so the trainers found it very easy to be able to work with these animals quickly and it could transfer to other trainers more readily.
This method was then applied to dogs, horses, birds and even reptiles.
The clicker is simply a replacement for your voice and touch. People can click faster than they can think to speak or touch. However some people find it difficult to know exactly when to click and find themselves constantly clicking or the dog starts listening to the person next to them clicking. Fundamentally clicker training is treat training - you wait for the behavior to show up and you click & treat. Lure training is treat training too if you use the lure as the reward instead of your touch or voice. So it's really very much the same thing - the dog is working for the treat.
Now if you have any questions about how it compares to other methods of training just ask. :rolleyes:

babyrocky1
May 18th, 2005, 08:27 PM
AOkay, how does it compare to other methods of training??? hi by the way, Ive been reading alot of your posts and they are much appreciated :) You seem to have a really good, positive attitude towards training, thaks for all the great info. :)

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 18th, 2005, 09:09 PM
Thanks tenderfoot, when I was researching english cockers as that is the breed I am leaning torward one of the breeders said they do well with clicker training or lure reward training. She said they don't like being yelled at so they need a gentle approach to training. Not sure if they even offer clicker training here but will look into if I decide to go that route. Do you think clicker training would work with an English Cocker
:)

tenderfoot
May 19th, 2005, 07:41 PM
I think if I got chocolate (preferably Dove) every time I kissed my husband I would definately kiss him more. - which would make him conclude that chocolate (bribery) works. But if you took the chocolate away or I got full then he might not get all of those wonderful kisses - because I was never doing it for the right reason in the first place. Now if he loved me and impressed me in such a way that I really respected him - then the kisses would flow from genuine feelings - which we would cultivate and have forever. He would save lots of money on chocolates, I would stay thin and we would have a relationship based on reality not bribery.
So do I think Cockers would respond to clickers? - probably, because they love to eat! Do I think it is an effective and long lasting training method? One that connects your dog to you with his heart and mind? - not so much.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 19th, 2005, 08:05 PM
So you would not reccomend clicker training or using treats. When I took my last dog to training the trainer did not use treats just lots of praise.She said you might not always be in a situation where you have treats on you and then the dog might not listen. I am not so sure if I would use her again as we had to really scold our dogs when they did something wrong I think it may have been okay for our malamute but not so sure it would work with an ECS. I have seen online training courses for dogs but would much rather do a class to get the socialization aspect as well. I guess its all part of the research.

Spurby
May 28th, 2005, 09:52 PM
I don't "clicker train" but i do like a lot of their training advice and methods, and i do use treats as well, which has worked very well with my dog, even if i don't have treats, it's all about making the training a "good" experience, and treats certainly do that. My dog has never refused to do something because i didn't have treats, and i know i have her respect :)

Here is an excellent site that better explains the clicker method of training

http://www.clickersolutions.com/