Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog Park Parking Lots

Lissa
May 16th, 2005, 09:41 PM
This is one of my biggest pet peeves: Dog owners who just open the car door and expect their dog(s) to head staright for the safety of the dog park (while they chit-chat or organize their bag, lock up the car etc...) This is rarely the case, so the parking lot ends up being a zoo, with dogs running back and forth greeting each other. The owners have no idea what's going on with their dogs but on top of which, most of the dogs have sloppy recall so getting them away from the parking lot is an ordeal itself! The parking lot is not the least bit safe which I would think is common sense!? I just don't understand why people can't keep their dogs on-leash until they get into the dog park!?? It's the most logical and by far the safest thing to do! The only thing that I can think of, is that owners don't want their dogs to choke themselves or drag their humans into the park? Perhaps some are just followers who observe others doing it and think its okay?? Just because we are all dog owners and drive carefully/slowly in the parking lot, doesn't mean that accidents won't happen. How can anyone expect to see a 20 inch dog running irratically between parked cars? It's not a risk I would be willing to take and I don't understand why anyone would chance it? It's a tragedy waiting to happen and the driver will be the one who is blamed and has to deal with the guilt, when in reality it's the owners that should be accountable. I've nearly hit a couple of dogs and when I look around for the owner they are either chatting or waiting for their dog at their car. I've even seen a women almost run over her own dog! Why? Because she needed to park her car closer to the entrance, otherwise her dog won't come with her to the car! A leash might come in handy, don't you think? Better yet, some training! If people had control over their dogs it would be a different story but sadly, as I've found out very few people do.

It really upsets me to think that some thoughtless, irresponsible act by a "loving" dog owner could end up as a tragedy.

How difficult is it to leash your dog when it's a life and death matter? Have you guys experienced this too?

Melissa

Prin
May 17th, 2005, 01:52 AM
Tell us how you really feel! LOL. I see your point, but at our park the parking lot is right at the entrance of the dog park so the dogs get out and run to grass, not through a parking lot, so everybody does it and we laugh at the others getting dragged in. Mind you there are maybe 4 cars in the lot at the most... All dog park people. Most people are in walking distance to the park. :)

I see your point though. Very dangerous in your situation.

Lissa
May 17th, 2005, 07:15 AM
Sorry, I think I may have "flown off the handle". But it is something that really upsets me because I would be just devastated if I hit a dog. The parking lot is quite small but it fits about 40 cars, so there's a lot jammed in a small space - cars, people, children, dogs CRAZY!
Anyway, I think I'll just start parking on the road - it may save my sanity!
Melissa :D

P.S. - I used to be one of the losers ;) who got dragged in, thankfully Dodger has learned better now!

raingirl
May 17th, 2005, 07:53 AM
We have a small parking lot at the park we drive to...fits maybe ten cars. The other park we walk to (beside our building, about 5 min walk).

Never been at the park we drive to though, never been more than a few cars. Although, we go early in the morning (8 am) so it's pretty empty then.

levimh
May 17th, 2005, 12:55 PM
I am one of those losers who gets dragged in! Haha! I usually let Levi out of the car without a leash, but he knows exactly where to go. If there are lots of cars or dogs coming in, i'll keep him on the leash until I get through the gate. He doesn't pull as much as he used to, but he loves meeting up with all his furbuddies at the other end of the park. :)