Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What are my chances???

Sneaky2006
May 16th, 2005, 10:37 PM
We bid on this cat house on Ebay... 12 available, starting bid $1. There's only 2 days left out of a 7 day auction and there's 12 bids all for $1 each so far.
Shipping is $20 which is not bad for something like this! I really really want this for my kitties but I can't spend a fortune right now. I'm just wondering about my chances... I'll probably check it tomorrow and they'll be up to $50 each! We have the smallest cat house right now and it was 30 bucks. They're not cheap!
Here's hoping! :p

JDG
May 16th, 2005, 10:42 PM
I bid on one quite similar to that one, and there was a couple as well. I had a winning bid until the '11th hour' - they ended up at over $60 plus $30 delivery.

Something you might want to consider is a 'snipe' website, which bids on your behalf just before the auction ends. . . I've used them, and won auctions! :)

www.lotsnipe.com

Good luck! I hope your kitties get lucky!

Sneaky2006
May 16th, 2005, 10:45 PM
I just checked that site... you have to give your Ebay password? Is that even safe?

Cactus Flower
May 16th, 2005, 11:01 PM
A friend of mine made one of those using old beaten up barstools and chair legs. He even carpeted it with carpet scraps. Is anyone in your family a carpenter?

Princesss04
May 16th, 2005, 11:06 PM
I hope you get it that is cool! I am looking at getting somethign like that for my fur babies, :D I will not go and bid on it though. LOL :D

Sneaky2006
May 17th, 2005, 06:29 AM
A friend of mine made one of those using old beaten up barstools and chair legs. He even carpeted it with carpet scraps. Is anyone in your family a carpenter?Uhhh, yeah. My FIL said he could help us out with something for my cats and he did, bless his heart. We wanted a normal looking cat house with "levels", like the one posted. But it was made with an old kitchen cabinet, it is huge and bulky... so I have this HUGE box that has an opening in the front and a middle shelf for them to sleep on, problem is it's way too big (and ugly) to put anywhere other than the basement. I guess when we said cat house, he really thought HOUSE, like we were going to put them in it and keep them in there. :D
I realize the one I'm bidding on is big too but it's all open and has the levels I'm looking for.
The amount I bid on it plus shipping is lower than the amount I'd spend on materials... if I can't get it for that price I am determined to make one myself... I just need to know how to connect the tubes to the platforms and I'm good to go.
Princess, you should look around Ebay... the same seller has many different auctions for these houses, some a bit smaller, some even bigger... some are also 'buy it now' for $100 plus shipping.

coppperbelle
May 17th, 2005, 07:10 AM
Keep watching the bidding especially near the end date and time. I am sometimes suspicious of sellers that they may bid themselves in an effort to drive up the price.

To bid you have to enter a password otherwise anyone could bid on your behalf.

happycats
May 17th, 2005, 07:24 AM
Hey Sneaky why don't you proxy bid (sp) that way you put in the highest amount you are willing to pay in your proxy bid, but can still get it for less if it doesn't go that high :)

Daisy's Owner
May 17th, 2005, 07:37 AM
I have learned my lesson with ebay. If I want something bad enough, I have to watch the last couple of minutes. Bidders always come in at the last minute. I also don't put a max bid in, because I find bidders will bid just to bump the price higher.

That is a really cute cat house. Good luck, I hope you get it.

Sneaky2006
May 17th, 2005, 03:46 PM
My max bid is $15 right now but they are all still at $1 each. Husband thinks they're going to go for no less than $40 each because of how the others ended... I really want it and I may cry if I don't get it for this price! :D

Prin
May 17th, 2005, 06:55 PM
I wouldn't bid at all until the last hour. Bidding now just drives up the price. Even if you enter a maxiumim bid, they tell other people when their max bid is not high enough. Wait. Don't bid.

kandy
May 17th, 2005, 06:56 PM
I have bought lots of stuff on ebay and I always use the proxy bid. I decide beforehand how much I am willing to pay for the item (taking the shipping into consideration) and that's how much I set my max bid at. I don't watch the bid in the last minutes because I know that if I want something bad enough, I will end up in a bidding war and probably end up paying twice what the item could be purchased for in a retail store. Of course, it always sucks to have your max bid at say $20 and then find out the item went for $20.25 LOL! Good luck - it looks like a really nice kitty condo!

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 17th, 2005, 10:46 PM
Just make sure you don't end up paying more then what you would at a store for the same thing. With shipping extra you might not really be getting a deal.

Sneaky2006
May 17th, 2005, 10:54 PM
Shipping is only $20... and a cat house like this one in stores are way expensive..., we saw one at petco smaller and it was 109$! If I don't go above my max amount I should be okay and get a deal!

JDG
May 17th, 2005, 11:05 PM
I just checked that site... you have to give your Ebay password? Is that even safe?

Yeah, I wondered the same thing. . . .I did alot of reading up on sniping services before I tried it. Lotsnipe had the best reviews and other people recommended me to them. I trust their services.

DogueLover
May 17th, 2005, 11:16 PM
Just a quick note here on bidding on Ebay. Hubby and I buy a LOT from Ebay but you have to watch really carefully as the prices are usually all in US funds as is the shipping. That works out great if you are in the US but if you are in Canada you are bidding a lot more.
Also read the shipping charges really carefully as they can get you with shipping. Most of the time there is a flat rate for shipping and then they list that you should contact them for shipping outside the US.
Without purchasing insurance you can end up with a product that never shows up.
Is this ebay seller a square trade seller or power seller? If not check their feedback. You do not want to purchase something from someone with a lot of negative feedback.

Just some pointers, when I started on ebay I got burned a few times and learned quickly. Good lessons, but they did not make me a happy camper at the time.

JDG
May 17th, 2005, 11:25 PM
Just a quick note here on bidding on Ebay. Hubby and I buy a LOT from Ebay but you have to watch really carefully as the prices are usually all in US funds as is the shipping. That works out great if you are in the US but if you are in Canada you are bidding a lot more.

Thats a really good point! As Canadians looking on Ebay, if you log on and sign in on www.ebay.ca (instead of www.ebay.com) you get prices in both USD and CAD . . . .

Sneaky2006
May 18th, 2005, 01:23 AM
Thanks for the ideas. I am in the states so no prob there. I would get insurance on something like this, being a big package and somewhat expensive... can't be too sure.
This person is a power seller...
Members who left a positive: 5117
Members who left a negative: 14
Not bad...

Prin
May 18th, 2005, 01:34 AM
I look for patterns in the negatives though... If they all have the same complaint... :confused:

Sneaky2006
May 18th, 2005, 01:45 AM
I was looking for the negatives and gave up, none were on the first 6 pages... I normally do that too, Prin!

Sneaky2006
May 18th, 2005, 10:03 PM
They went for $42.25 plus $22.40 for shipping on each, still cheap though.
But I wanted one! :(

BMDLuver
May 18th, 2005, 10:06 PM
ahhh Sneaky, I was rooting for you to get one!

Princesss04
May 18th, 2005, 11:59 PM
Aww I was hoping you could get one so I could bring my fur children over and play! :D Maybe next time.

Sneaky2006
May 19th, 2005, 06:05 AM
:p There's a couple more I'm watching right now... I'm not going to even bother bidding until the last minute in case they go way up again.

Daisy's Owner
May 19th, 2005, 06:52 AM
I hope you get one. Good luck.

happycats
May 19th, 2005, 07:20 AM
Hey sneaky, I don't know if you checked out Walmart, but I know they have a beautiful one here (many colors to chose from) with a house and all for only $49.99 Canadian!

Also I don't know if you saw that thread here that shows how to build one? It looks very easy though. :D

Princesss04
May 19th, 2005, 10:24 AM
Hey sneaky, I don't know if you checked out Walmart, but I know they have a beautiful one here (many colors to chose from) with a house and all for only $49.99 Canadian!

Also I don't know if you saw that thread here that shows how to build one? It looks very easy though. :D

If it is 49.99 in Canadian what does that make it in Amercian? I am so lost when it comes to that stuff. :D

JDG
May 19th, 2005, 10:28 AM
49.99 CAD = 39.5746 USD

http://www.xe.com

Princesss04
May 19th, 2005, 10:38 AM
Oh thanks, I will have to save that site, I am so bad about remebering that. :D

Sneaky2006
May 19th, 2005, 05:03 PM
Ugh! Another auction I was watching, they went for $26/$20 shipping! Apparently I wasn't watching close enough :(

I checked walmart website and couldn't find any on there, only beds... I will check when we go there next time, thanks!