Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Why Are Teenagers SO Ignorant ????

les
May 16th, 2005, 06:53 PM
I hate to do this but I need to vent ...

So I'm out walking my pups this morning same as every morning. We had a great walk - I live in Grimsby - right at the bottom of the Niagara Escarpment and this morning I actually got up enough nerve to climb it! LOL The Bruce Trail runs along the top. We had been walking for about 2 hours and were just heading home - I climbed back down it - Where I went up (and down) is behind a park that my house backs onto. I hadn't leashed the dogs yet because they climb down much faster then I could and I was waiting until I got to the bottom - besides that I knew (and I could see) that there were no people in the park anyways.

So we get to the bottom and my dogs are just walking around - same as usual and we've been in that park like a million times before. Then I hear Jersey (the 11 month old chocolate lab) yelp and I thought ohh crap! and ran over to her. She had stepped right onto a broken beer bottle!!!

At first I didn't see any blood but we started heading for home - like 2 minutes across the park. As soon as we were in the backyard and she stepped on the patio stones I could see blood after every footstep she took.

So I opened the back door - yelled for my bf who came out - threw him a towel to hold on her foot and called the vet. Anyways, we rushed her to the vet and they kept her all day - she has two cuts on the pads of one foot - one pretty nasty one that took 3 stitches to close and another smaller one.

Now my poor baby has this bandage on her foot and she can't have any exercise for 2 weeks!! We usually get about 3 - 4 hours of walking/hiking in a day so that's a big jump down for her!!

I can't understand why young people (or maybe most people) are so damn thoughtless! Is it that difficult to put your bottles in the garbage?? The most annoying part is that I also pick them up when I see them in the park - so just leave them there and I'll clean up after you - - but instead smashing them is more fun I guess.

It just makes me so angry - but they certainly aren't going to have much fun there anymore - we already formally complained at the police station and they said they'll do more rounds there and to call them when we hear people partying and they'll go by again.

I think I might be the crustiest 27 year old ever!

Ling
May 16th, 2005, 07:26 PM
I hear you. It seems like each year the "kids" get worse. It wasn't so long ago that I was a teen and I never littered, made a ruckus, or was disrespectful to anyone or others property - now it seems the younguns stroll across the street very well expecting them to see you on the dark street when they're wearing black and not even a wave thank you as they pass by. Beer bottles and litter everywhere... really - what is the fun in smashing them?!?! I must've missed that secret...
Makes me feel really old and grumpy sometimes.

SnowDancer
May 16th, 2005, 07:40 PM
Regrettably this behaviour is not limited to teenagers. We live across from a park where I watch people from all age groups toss all sorts of garbage, used Kleenex, bottles, cans, cigarettes, half eaten hamburgers - manna to my dog. Then the borough calls for a park cleanup and you see same people out their doing their civic duty, patting themselves on the back - and then next day are back to littering once again. Oh and spitting - I really, seriously hate spitting - especially by a woman. In Europe people put their litter in the appropriate garbage receptacles or else (although people are changing their as well now. I have seen teenagers get off a train sitting in the station to toss soda cans in garbage cans. Good for them.

CyberKitten
May 16th, 2005, 08:00 PM
I am sorry to hear about your chocolate lab! My brother's choc lab was hurt earlier this year by a twig and had to have surgery, poor baby!

I hate to think teenagers will get blamed for what might be something anyone could have done - I actually do not think any generation is worse than the other and am optomistic when I see the bright young minds I see in my classes at university. I think there are stupid people in every generation, unfortunately. And if teens make mistakes, well, we all did at that age I suspect.

A few years ago, someone driving home from a bar threw a beer bottle right through my grandmother's window. It was late and they were most definitely NOT teens! I just wish some people would smarten up bud sadly, some never do!

Karin
May 16th, 2005, 09:40 PM
Good, strong family rearing is what has always worked. Too many split homes, divorces. The high cost of living brings both parents into the workforce. Values...Geez, the list goes on.

Parents are afraid to punish their children for anything...you can go to jail for an "ass whooping" like I had when I was a kid, funny thing is I remember those those sore red butts AND have never been to jail yet. There is something right with the way parents were allowed to be parents back then. I think the word is respect.

Respect goes a long way to this day, just not enough of it.

wjranch
May 16th, 2005, 11:40 PM
I totally agree with you. I wanted to take my pup to our local tennis court to work off lead as it's totally fenced. As I approached the gate I noticed broken glass on the ground, so I very carefully picked our way through....only to find the ENTIRE tennis court literally covered in broken glass!! This is a double court...so it's a big space...and the asphalt wasn't even visible for all the glass on it!

So much for that training exercise :( It makes me so mad :mad: There is NO reason for it other then a few bored teenagers with nothing better to do and no respect for others who might want to use that area.

As for spitting, it is so disgusting I can't even think about it. I've been known to comment on it to someone who's done it......and let them know that I think they could and SHOULD keep their slimy germs to themselves so my kids and pets don't have to step in it!! I clean up doggy poop, and I think fair is fair....are they willing to wipe it off the ground after they are done?? :evil:

Safyre
May 16th, 2005, 11:57 PM
I have to say, it might NOT have been teenagers and very well could have been a adult that left the beer bottle there. I live across from a park in my city, and beleive me, it's not just the teenagers in there each night.

Someone mentioned why are teenagers irresponsible: Parents are not teaching values. Manners. Respect.
It comes down to just that. Parents do not take the time to teach thier kids these things.
A$$ whooping as someone mentioned, is not needed, sometimes making the problem worse. Teaching the child fear, instead of respect. Don't we say not to hit our dogs for fear of the same? Anyways, parents need to spend more time with thier kids and remember to lead by example.

krdahmer
May 17th, 2005, 12:00 AM
AW... poor puppy :( , I hope the pad heals quickly! :love:

I have many a broken glass story, usually involving a park, my little brother and a whack of stitches! :rolleyes: It's sad that some people seem to think of parks as their garbage cans, but as long as teens have to sneak alcohol... (which I am sure a lot of us have done)... some of them are bound to let loose the good training of their parents and litter a bottle or two.

And I know around here it isn't even the drunk teens that break the bottles, it's the wild and unsupervised youngsters that happen upon the bottles and find fun in destruction.

And as for 27 and crusty....LOL....here I thought I was the only one getting crusty so young! ;)

Jackie467
May 17th, 2005, 12:13 AM
I hope your puppies paw is better soon. I know what that is like, we once had our dobie almost lose a pad on his foot because of ice. It was just hanging by a thread and had to be swen back on :eek: It's not necisarily teens. I was once walking my dobie and had a man of probably 45-50 throw a beer bottle AT us! :mad: Hit me in the head and scared my poor baby to death (we ended up having him arrested, but we didn't press charges, long story). I'm crusty and I'm only 20! and I agree it's terrible that parents can't even disipline their child anymore. My aunt was charged with child abuse because she grounded her son too much! (the charges were dismissed because the judge thought it was crazy, but still she got charged, talk about rediculous.)

jiorji
May 17th, 2005, 08:03 AM
:sad: that's horrible!!

but mind you...environmental pollution isn't always up to teenagers to take care of. I feel i somehow should defend that accusation lol only because i too was young and ignorant once :rolleyes: let's not go back to that lol
but no! there's no excuse to throw your garbage out in the woods. I live in the suburbs, a neighbourhood i find to be filled with "my daddy bought my BMW to stay in school" kids...and i often see them dry by and chuck tim's cups out the window. DRIVES ME MAD I TELL YA!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: I feel like getting out of my rusty car and kicking some butt.

i'm surprised your police officers are so understanding though. I've been told stories of more serious offences concerning personal saefty and all they did was pretty much say "why are you bothering us??!"

hope your pups ok poor thing :sad:

les
May 17th, 2005, 08:12 AM
Well day one is officially over - unfortunatley now she's starting to get her energy back and I have to try to keep her still. Good luck with that!

Maybe I shouldn't have blamed teenagers - although I can see them in the park from my backyard so I know for the most part it's them out there playing baseball. I agree that there is not enough punishment for kids/teenagers these days - I don't believe the argument that physical punishment is bad - I mean of course beating the crap out of them is bad but there's nothing wrong with a smack - in my opinion. Hell ... I was scared of my dad growing up (and if he raises his voice I'm still scared!!! LOL) maybe because he was a police officer as well I knew that I better behave! And I knew that if I did something there was gonna be hell to pay when he got home! My mom and I were just talking about this the other day and she said she still gets scared of her dad when he gets angry! LOL

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can keep Jersey occupied with for the next 2 weeks? She's already had a kong this morning and I better watch how many I give her since she isn't going to be getting any exercise!

Thanks again :)
Leslie

les
May 17th, 2005, 08:26 AM
jiorji - I know - I too was once that teenager! It's just too bad that they don't take time to think about things before they do it!

As for the police here - that's the thing about small towns I guess. I'm in Grimsby - population 20,000. We get a kick out of the newspaper here - it'll be something on the front page like ... "People complain because kids make too much noise in the library" LOL

Much different from the big city!

chico2
May 17th, 2005, 09:05 AM
My 2 cents...living on a cornerlot,I sometimes have beer-bottles in my hedge and have on more than one occasion gone and picked up broken bottles in the grass after the weekend.
As for young people,the ones I've witnessed throwing bottles,Tim Horton cups or anything else out of their cars,were young,but I am not saying ALL young people are careless slobs.
One young man living across the street,parked his car on the boulevard,put on a pair of new shoes and threw the box on the street.
This one I caught and I politely asked him to pick up his garbage and he did...
There also is an older Italian gentleman,who every Monday goes around the neighborhood picking up bottles,which is great,a little money for him and a tidy neighborhood.
I agree with everyone who said respect is lacking in many kids today and it clearly comes from parents too busy to teach their kids,or deny them anything they want.
I hope Jersey will be ok and good luck in keeping her occupied :D

kandy
May 17th, 2005, 05:52 PM
I feel so bad for poor Jersey! I hope her pad is getting better, and good luck with keeping her occupied while its mending! :D

I also agree that kids today could do with some discipline. When my son was young and in trouble, he used to tell me that I couldn't spank him or he would call family services and have me arrested for abuse. I always offered to dial the number for him after I spanked him! Kids are not the same as dogs - you can't reason with a dog. Dogs learn by actions and reactions. If you tell your child, don't do that or you will get spanked - the child should realize that if he does that, he will get spanked. Discipline and abuse are worlds apart. I was physically abused as a teenager - black eyes, bruises, etc. but I still spanked my son because I knew what I was doing was definitely not abuse. My son has not grown up to be a serial killer because he was spanked as a child, instead he learned that his actions have consequences.

Prin
May 17th, 2005, 06:41 PM
Poor doggy... If teenagers would put their beer bottles in the trash or god forbid bring them back for the refund, they'd be conforming and no teenager wants that!! Too bad... Was it Lucky who had the yard with condoms in it? :yuck:

Karin
May 17th, 2005, 07:23 PM
I feel so bad for poor Jersey! I hope her pad is getting better, and good luck with keeping her occupied while its mending! :D

I also agree that kids today could do with some discipline. When my son was young and in trouble, he used to tell me that I couldn't spank him or he would call family services and have me arrested for abuse. I always offered to dial the number for him after I spanked him! Kids are not the same as dogs - you can't reason with a dog. Dogs learn by actions and reactions. If you tell your child, don't do that or you will get spanked - the child should realize that if he does that, he will get spanked. Discipline and abuse are worlds apart. I was physically abused as a teenager - black eyes, bruises, etc. but I still spanked my son because I knew what I was doing was definitely not abuse. My son has not grown up to be a serial killer because he was spanked as a child, instead he learned that his actions have consequences.

High Fives Kandy! I too was abused as a kid, I also disciplined my kids with a swat on the butt. There is a difference. Now my kids are parents too. (5 grandkids!)

Fifty years ago parents had different ideals on child rearing. Babies were left in their cribs all day with very little interaction with adults. Later on, children were seen but not heard..and so on.
It boggles my mind sometimes that many of us survived childhood.

coppperbelle
May 17th, 2005, 07:59 PM
I know this is a bit off topic but it bugs the heck out of me. People who throw their cigarrette butts on the ground. Even worse are those who empty their ashtrays in parking lots. Do they realize how many birds die every year because of this or how many little kids pick up a butt and put it in their mouth? Yuck.
What it all comes down to is respect.

They (the teenagers or whoever else may have been responsible) need to know that as a result of their actions an animal was injured. I am certain if they did know it would be the last time they break a bottle and leave it lying around.

Sorry to hear about your dogs injuries. As for keeping him quiet, good luck. :D

Safyre
May 18th, 2005, 12:00 AM
a$$ whooping is completely different for a smack on the butt. Thats the only thing I wanted to clarify from my post.
I don't beleive in @ss whooping for ny reason, smack on the butt once in a while, yes.

chico2
May 18th, 2005, 07:54 AM
My 3 sons,certainly got a few bum-slappinigs :D most of the time though,sending them to their rooms was enough.Today,when many kids have their own TV,PC etc...it's no more a punishment :D
Todays kids,unfortunately are too often left to their own devices,while mom and dad strive to keep up with the Jonses......somehow in this new stressful century,teaching kids manners and right from wrong,has fallen by the wayside.

kandy
May 18th, 2005, 12:03 PM
I do have to say that maybe the people who smashed the bottle and left it where poor Jersey stepped on it will 'get what's coming to them'. I have seen evidence that what goes around, comes around. In the summer, teenagers often use the lake to have parties. Unfortunately, since the campsite we camp at is a more remote one, the kids also like it for the parties, although they never try it if we are at our camp. Most weekends, hubby and I spend the first few hours picking up beer bottles, broken glass, garbage, etc. A couple of summers ago, the daughter of an acquaintance of mine (this girl was definitely a delinquent and I am sure she is the one who showed all the other kids how to get to our camp) was having a party at our normal campsite. They apparently thought it was fun to throw full bottles of alcohol into the fire to watch them explode. One of the bottles shot glass everywhere when it exploded and she stepped on a piece of it. It not only cut the hell out of her foot, it also burned it. I felt really bad for her as they had to leave it unstitched to heal from the inside out - but I also feel like it was her own fault. I don't think she ever learned anything from it though.

So, take heart, maybe their stupidity will come back to haunt them too!

Prin
May 18th, 2005, 12:23 PM
I'm not a parent, but I have always wondered why parents give their kids, tv, cell phones, etc. If my kid can't learn to call me from a payphone, he shouldn't be allowed out. Just my opinion... Shouldn't the teens be paying for their own cell too? When I was younger, (in MY day) we paid for every luxury we wanted. I even had to pay for my shoes, if the ones I had were still wearable.

CyberKitten
May 18th, 2005, 12:56 PM
I am sorry but I will be making unpopular comments. I fail to understand what people here have against teenagers and I am more than a little chagrined at the tenor of this thread. Yes, there are some teens I'd like to scream at on occasion and yes, many teens are given much by their parents! BUT I think back to when I was growing up and have to think that none of us can claim to be perfect!

Good grief, we were all teenagers once. Did none of you ever NOT make a mistake when you were a teenager? I probably was indulged somewhat by my parents - certainly by my grandparents - which is not to suggest they were well off and gave me everything I wanted. They also taught me values and morals and helped me when I did do foolish things - like partying and having fun. Come to think of it, that was not too foolish. Although I was my class valectectorian, my high school year book starts of by saying "Hosts and attends many parties..". Not sure that is what I need to convey NOW but I had a good time at that age and as Edith Pilaf sings, je ne regrette rien, lol

I also see many teenagers in my work - sick ones mind you - and I do not see that teens have changed all that much from when I was that age. Yes, they have more but as a society we have more. Many of them have cell phones but for them and their parents, a cell phone is a necessity and not a luxury. My nephew who is now approaching 21 has had a cell phone since he was probably 13 or so. But his parents are divorced and they need to know where he is and what he is doing. He works in the summer, gets good grades, completed an internship in Vermont where my sister had to pay $4000 a month to rent house for him to live in (not too many choices in rural Vt where expensive ski resort areas are) and is a great kid! Sure, he has made a few mistakes and even makes the occasional snide remark.

He usually visits in the summer and I bought him an allterrain vehicle (I do use it myself sometimes) for when he is here and while in the woods last summer, he came across some older men SMOKING CIGARETTES on a hot summer day when the alert for hot and dry tinderbox conditons that would ignite a fire was at an all time high. He told them to put out the cigarettes (He is one of the few Massachusetts natives who can speak French quite well thanks to several weeks in the summer every year in Lennoxville,Quebec, lol) and they got very angry with him. He came to get me and they were still there when we returned and I told them I'd report them to the police if they did not put out teir cigarettes. They did but I don't know if they went elsewhere. It bordered my own woodlot and I also informed that if there was a fire, I'd sue them! They apologized and said they never thought of fire! I was so furious!! So in that case, it was hardly the teenagers at fault.

I also have to say that when I encounter a snide or less than friendly clerk in a store, in 9 times out of ten times, that person is NOT a teenager but in fact someone older and supposedly more mature! The teenagers are usually much easier to deal with!

So I just really think the comments about teens are unkind and unecessary! Sure there are some kids who could use some better direction and help at home to make them become mature young adults but it is the people who have alledgedly grown up and still act unkind, untoughtful and sometimes downright stupid that anger me more!!

chico2
May 18th, 2005, 04:38 PM
CK,of course nobody means ALL teenagers,actually the young men I was referring to were not teenagers,more like in their 20's..
Your young nephew is a very lucky young man,it seems everyone is looking out for his wellfare,unfortunately I would say his case is not the norm.
What I was trying to say is,somewhere along the line,many parents are forgetting to teach their children manners,respect for other peoples property etc...just take a peek inside your nearest highschool,in the bathrooms,in the schoolyard and the infamous smoking-pits.
Or the language some kids use when talking to a teacher..
Teenagers have always rebelled one way or the other,but it seem nowadays it's worse.We live in a much riskier society,with drugs,guns and much more violence than only 20yrs ago.