Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The Myth of the Lap Cat

Shamrock
May 16th, 2005, 04:10 PM
Well.. maybe its not a myth :D ... but its certainly not all, is it?
Of my own three cats, only one will go on my lap, and only when he feels like it. The other two dont "do" laps - ever.
Family and friends with cats, it seems the the same way.
So, in spite of the general conception of the peacefully purring lap-cat, it's my observation that most cats in fact do NOT like this. They dont like to be held for too long, and while they like to stay by you and keep close - they prefer not to be ON you.
I am curious though if this is an accurate assumption I am making.
Is this how you find your own? Most wont do laps - or most will?

CyberKitten
May 16th, 2005, 04:11 PM
YY likes laps but if she wants down, she wants down!! She is a cuddler tho. The sphinxes also like my lap - all three at once can be fun, lol

happycats
May 16th, 2005, 04:15 PM
All 5 of mine, love being lap cats!! and quite often fight for lap space :eek:
They will slowly sneak up and gently "push" the other one off, or another trick is they move up beside me, and stick their cold nose on the others butt :yuck: to make them jump off, so they can have my lap all to themselves :evil:

chico2
May 16th, 2005, 04:19 PM
Shamrock,my 3 males(cats)all are lap-cats,especially when I'm on the PC,they often take turns and get visibly upset if I am already occupied :D
As for holding them,I don't think any cat likes to be held or carried around,except Vinnie who since has was little likes to hang over my shoulder,except now he's 13lb's and it gets difficult having him on my shoulder while I sweep the floors etc... :D

Shamrock
May 16th, 2005, 04:36 PM
awww, really? sigh....well, now I feel.. disapointed.
I'd SO hoped my newest adult male would be a lap cat...but after 3 months, I can say most definetly not!
But - figured most werent anyway.

Thats what I "really" want - all of them cuddled up on me. :love: .There's room, c'mon - we'll make room!

Oh well, you take what you get.
Maybe its payback for not kissing them.... :D

chico2
May 16th, 2005, 04:38 PM
Shamrock,that's what it is,I slobber all over my boys all the time..those cute little noses :D

Jackie467
May 16th, 2005, 04:39 PM
Jasmine is definatly not a lap cat. She likes to be pet, but only when she wants it and never sitting in anyones lap. She is actully very independent and prefers to spend most of her time alone. I'm the only one she will let pick her up, you should have seen the disaster at the vet the last time we went when she tired to pick her up.

kayla
May 16th, 2005, 04:48 PM
Momma Cat hates laps, and hates being held. She does like to cuddle up against me and purr when I'm lying down though. And she loves sneaking under the covers in the middle of the night and pushing her face against mine to wake her up and give her pets. So although she hates laps she is still quite cuddly. To each their own!

levimh
May 16th, 2005, 05:04 PM
My male cat enjoys being picked up and cuddled, but won't come and sit on your lap for too long. My female cat, however, I can do anything with. When she was younger she used to sleep on me anywhere, anytime. I can hold her and carry her around or cuddle her for as long as my heart's content.

JDG
May 16th, 2005, 06:26 PM
Momma Cat hates laps, and hates being held. She does like to cuddle up against me and purr when I'm lying down though. And she loves sneaking under the covers in the middle of the night and pushing her face against mine to wake her up and give her pets. So although she hates laps she is still quite cuddly. To each their own!

Hahahah! Thats funny because Minou - one of Momma Cat's kittens - is EXACTLY the same except that she has all the time in the world for my husband, and tends to ignore me. . .

She loves sitting on his shoulders when he uses the computer. . . .She follows him around like a 'little puppy dog' and often waits at the front door for him to come home!

Marty - the other of Momma Cat's kittens - is a different story. . . he is my little cuddle buddy :love: :love: :love: . He will sit on what ever part of me he wont fall off of, he loves to be held and cuddled, (he doesn't like to on his back though) He also LOVES baby talk. . .and often 'talks backs' when I do it. . . .

Lucky Rescue
May 16th, 2005, 07:33 PM
Consider yourself lucky! Every cat I've owned HAD to be on my lap the entire time I was sitting. I had 3 cats at once, and often would have all 3 fat butts parked on my lap. :mad:

Of the 3 I have all (all ex-ferals) only one likes to lap sit, but ONLY when I'm on the computer. How convenient!

dmc123
May 16th, 2005, 07:33 PM
None of mine like to be "lap cats" unless it is their idea, and that is rare. They do however really tend to like to sit in a lap of any visitor to the house that is not particularly fond of cats LOL. Go figure!

Diane

Lissa
May 16th, 2005, 08:39 PM
My cats (which were all Siamese) love/loved to cuddle and be held. I would say that you need to start coaxing them to love laps as kittens but that wasn't the case for me. I didn't get one until she was a year old. Maybe its just because they are Siamese because my rescued Maine Coon didn't like to be held or cuddle on my lap (but that's odd for that breed!). Who knows what makes a lap cat!?!! The more you want them to be something, the less likely that's what you'll get, I suppose!! Thankfully, my cats have all been more dog-like, I don't think I would be very happy with an independent, self-centered cat! ;)

Melissa

chico2
May 17th, 2005, 07:43 AM
Love the pic with the shoulder-cat,soo cute,my Vinnie did the same,unfortunately he still does at 13+lbs :D He will sit and meow until I put him on my shoulder,if I am sitting he'll get there on his own..
All cats,like people are different,they all have different silly quirks and I for one,love them to bits :D

Eleni
May 17th, 2005, 07:50 AM
my oldest 2 cats are seen but not touched kinda cats, every so often they jump in bed with me for snuggles, but by no means are they lap cats.

my youngest cat is lap cat to the extreme, she puts puckers in my pants clawing my lap to get into it if i dot let her up.

she was found as a very little kitten nearly froze in the winter weather a few years back, and I adopted her, and to say she appreciates her new forever home is an understatement, her love and affection can be overwhelming

my dog thinks hes a lap cat too, or back of the sofa cat i should say, he lounges on the back of the sofa, the part you rest against.

Eleni

Rita
May 17th, 2005, 10:54 AM
Our Boyz are lap cats ....
Our big boy Pippin (15 lbs) also likes to climb onto our shoulders or curl up in our arms like a baby for snuggles :love:
Sam and Merri both really like nap time with Daddy on weekends ;)

Blaze01
May 17th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Blaze loves human attenion he sleeps on my chest or with his head resting on my shoulder...he also likes to be picked up and snuggled with...guess i got lucky.

JKC27
May 17th, 2005, 03:21 PM
Both my cats are cuddly, but Tucker (orange boy) more so than Wendel (weird gray-white, siamese-tabby mix). Tucker jumps up on my lap whenever he wants. Sometimes while I trying to eat. Wendel prefers to hang on the back of my rocking chair, with his legs hanging two on each side.

My Mom's cat though...hates people, so no cuddles/laps.

:ca:

Jillybean
May 17th, 2005, 03:39 PM
Simon, my Ragamuffin, absolutely loves to be held at all times. He will run up to me and stretch up so his paws hit my chest. He's a big cat as you can tell, 15 plus pounds (all muscle) and he has huge bones. He loves to lay on my chest while Harvey gets my lap. Simon likes to be carried like a baby everywhere you go and will almost trip you just to get your attention. Almost like saying "Mom, I'm here.... pick me up NOW!" All of my animals like to cuddle and love being held, so I consider myself lucky. Although Harvey has a drooling problem and will usually leave a puddle behind when something else tickles his fancy. :yuck:

Shamrock
May 17th, 2005, 04:58 PM
JDG - love the shoulder pic! How cute! I thought only parrots did this....

My cats all DO show affection in their own way, of course. Two of em' definitely dont care to get up close and personal,though. ;)
No huggies, no laps, no carrying around - IF you dont mind! :D

However,.. I most certainly have a lap dog - so that is compensation.