Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

turkey breast?

Eleni
May 16th, 2005, 02:45 PM
how long should I cook one for?? its thawed and still on the bone and I plan on cooking it at 350 but i cant seem to figure when I should put it in, I like to ahve dinner at 5, so maybe put it in at 4?

i ahve a meat thermometer but i always second guess the darn thing

Eleni

CyberKitten
May 16th, 2005, 04:33 PM
Can you thaw it in the micorwave and then heat it? It would save time. Otherwise, I would take it out the day before and let it thaw in the fridge. (It is not safe at room temp).

goldenblaze
May 16th, 2005, 05:16 PM
You must cook it for more then one hours.. I do turkey breast often and I cook it for close to 3 hours. You don't want it under cooked.

Princesss04
May 16th, 2005, 05:21 PM
If it is already thawed out than that is good. If not put it on a plate and put it in the fridge, do not leave it out on the counter all day! I think that is needs to be cooked for more than one hour. I would think view it like you do a turkey. Maybe not that long but I would think three to four hours. :D

kandy
May 16th, 2005, 05:29 PM
I think that it is supposed to be about 40 minutes for each pound, but I'm at work, so I don't have a cookbook handy. I think the internal temp is supposed to be like 160 (farenheit) or so - but again, don't have a cookbook handy.

raingirl
May 16th, 2005, 08:00 PM
Not sure if you wanted this info for today or not!

Is it one of those "half" turkeys that has the dark meat removed, so it is only the breast and the bone? Or is it just a turkey breast with the bone attached (single breast) like you would get a bone in-skin on chicken breast from the meet isle?

If it is the first, they usually have cooling instructions on the package, but I would say about 1.5 hours at 350, then check the temp.

If it is the latter, 45 min should be fine..if it is under 2 inch thick...

Karin
May 16th, 2005, 09:59 PM
I am sure this post is a little late. But, here it goes. Try cooking bags and allow slow cooking time. Put the turkey breast in a "cooking bag"...Reynolds is the only one I know of, and cook away....the slower, the better. Save the juices for gravy stock.

If time is not an option still use the bag but follow the directions for weight /time posted above.

* I am lucky to have an oven at work, I love a Sunday dinner and can cook while I work, done in time to go home*