Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Basenji's

ANBshilling
May 16th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Does anyone else on this board own a Basenji? I knew they were kinda rare, but I didn't think I wouldn't be able to find any info on here about em! :eek: Mine is 5.5 months old, and we've had him over a couple of months now, so he's still kinda new to us. We love him to death and would love to talk to someone that has one! :)

Ashley

Lucky Rescue
May 16th, 2005, 11:14 AM
Here's a good site with lots of information!
http://www.voyuz.net/basenji-faq.html

levimh
May 16th, 2005, 11:40 AM
I know a woman with a Basenji mix and when she met my dog she said he looked exactly like her dog. I personally don't think Levi has Basenji in him...but that's just my opinion. Basenji's are cute though. Love their shape/size.

Post pictures of your pup, if you can! :)

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 22nd, 2005, 09:19 AM
Basjenis are beutiful would love to see a pic!

ANBshilling
May 23rd, 2005, 08:57 AM
Here's my boy!

ANBshilling
May 23rd, 2005, 08:59 AM
Another one!

ILoveMutts!
May 23rd, 2005, 12:48 PM
What a cutie! The web page above says basenjis are naughty and very hard to train. What's your experience with him?

levimh
May 23rd, 2005, 12:54 PM
Oh, what a pretty boy!

Writing4Fun
May 23rd, 2005, 01:12 PM
There's a Basenji in our agility class. He's doing very well! He's very friendly towards the other dogs and is very intelligent, if somewhat stubborn. ;) Your little guy is really cute!

ANBshilling
May 23rd, 2005, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the compliments! He wasn't hard to train at all. I taught him how to sit, stay and "go in your house" very quickly. Sometimes you can see him deciding if he wants to or not. For example yesterday I told him to go in his house and he looked at me and turned to the side all funny like was going to take off, then about 10 seconds later he ran in his house. Like he changed his mind. lol I've read they don't like to fetch, but he does all the time. He's a big cuddler too which I love!

levimh
May 23rd, 2005, 04:08 PM
There was a basenji in my obedience class and his handler was a young boy. At the time, we were doing healing and I couldn't get Levi to heal if my life depended on it. I looked up to see how everyone else was doing and this basenji wouldn't take his eyes off this boy. They were the best in the class, IMO.

jessi76
May 31st, 2005, 02:29 PM
I just adopted my basenji (mix) about 3 wks ago - he's already started puppy school, and knows how to come and sit, and is learning drop it rather quickly. so far he's been very easy to train, with proper yummy treat motivation of course!