Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cancelling cell phone

raingirl
May 16th, 2005, 11:09 AM
Anyone ever heard of it taking 30 days to cancel a cell phone? Usually it should take a few days, but not 30! A friend signed up with couples plan with his GF and his phone was with the same company, but out of contract, so he decided to cancel his own account, and get a new phone and number on her couples plan. He already got the new phone and called to cancel his old phone the same day, but they said it would take 30 days to process!!

Should he complain?

Sneaky2006
May 16th, 2005, 01:29 PM
I find that a bit odd... like they want it on another month meaning another months bill.
I'd call back and ask to talk to a manager, but that's me.

Goldenmom
May 16th, 2005, 01:34 PM
I have never heard of that. Mine have always been cancelled the same minute I was on the phone with the Customer Service Rep. Somethings funny???

Heather

Princesss04
May 16th, 2005, 02:12 PM
Sounds weird to me I would call and talk to someone higher than the person he talked to before. Unless he has some kind of thing the signed saying he would not cancel for so long that might be why the extra month.

Luvmypit
May 16th, 2005, 02:40 PM
I have heard this actually. Isn't it interesting that it takes a second for them to connect you but a month to disconnect. Thats bull.... What she needs to do is go up the food chain in their customer service department or other departments and act mad enough that someone has to help you. They will do what you want but you have to push for it.

Copper'sMom
May 16th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Hmmmmm sounds like your friend is dealing with Bell Mobility -- the biggest rip off company around!

Yes, for Bell this is completely normal. They bill a month ahead of time :confused: and this is why it takes 30 days. It's confusing..........i still try to figure out my cell phone bill each month if they bill ahead of time!?

It's a good thing your friend is cancelling with them anyway. I'd switch to someone else, but unfortunately, they have the best coverage area for where i live. In the big city, you guys have way more options -- you're lucky! We have 3 that i know of.

Personally, I am sick of Bell. Our home phone service sucks - if we get to much rain, our line doesn't work! Our internet at work is supposed to be high speed, but sometimes you'd never think it is. You call for service and they give you so much bullcrap it's not funny.

I called to cancel a cellphone and they wanted to know why. Well because I bought a new one and signed up with a new plan and a new number. They kept asking why i wanted to cancel!! Hello.........what the heck do i need 2 cell phones for??? Does this sound like rocket science to all of you???? They kept me on the phone for 20 minutes!!! I was at work at the time, but they just don't get it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Sorry for the rant, it was a long time coming. I could go on but maybe i should start a new thread for it!! :evil:

raingirl
May 16th, 2005, 05:52 PM
Actually, it's Rogers. I know they can suck sometimes, but service has been pretty good for me so far. I was surprised that they would do that too him.

I know what you mean about Bell though and the month in advance thing. I think they bill you the basic fee ahead, then all the extra charges from the previous month are added on. Does that make sense?

We don't have a home phone, just both of us have a couples plan. I know quite a few people who have the couples plan. 90% of my calls are to my BF and vice versa, so it made sense to have free unlimited calls to each other anytime (especially since I work from home now and we have no land line).

I'll tell my friend to move up the chain of command and demand it is cancelled asap.

SnowDancer
May 16th, 2005, 05:55 PM
I do not have a cell phone, but used to handle administration for others that did - company phones, personal phones, family plans as extensions to the company and personal phones etc. Your friend needs to read his contract -starting with the fine print on the last page and see what it says. If he did agree to the 30 days he can always try and negotiate, but it is indeed possible that his particular contract does require a 30 day cancellation period. I have seen it.

raingirl
May 16th, 2005, 06:55 PM
He doesn't have a contract. He was originally on a two year contract but that expired last December. When his contract expired they called him and asked him if he wanted a new one and he could get a free phone. He said no, and since his phone was fine, he stayed with his month to month charges. Because he was out of contract, he can cancel any time.

dmc123
May 16th, 2005, 07:31 PM
Don't know if this helps, I just changed my service. They said my other one was still in service for 2 more weeks as I had already paid through that time. I didn't have to pay anymore, but wasn't reimbursed for that time either.

I hate those contracts, as I assume most of us do, but I guess I was lucky.

Diane

Blaze01
May 17th, 2005, 08:41 AM
The couples plan is great but when that couple is no more you have to keep the plan and have two cells or pay like five hundred in fees...cell phone compaines suck! I think i have heard of having to wait thirty days...but i dont think it was bell i think it was a smaller cell phone company

Schwinn
May 17th, 2005, 09:02 AM
I think Copper'smom is right, I think it's probably because they bill 30 days ahead, so he's already paid. If he wants his money back, he is going to have to make some noise. Perhaps ask for a supervisor or sending e-mails to the contacts on the website, or even both.

Safyre
May 17th, 2005, 11:20 PM
Raingirl - It might have to do with his billing date. I have rogers as well, not on contract. But I am a B*tch and I only call and say I am cancelling to get more stuff.

As for comments against bell, I work for them, so my comment is: COMPLAIN.
Bell has had the highest customer service rating for years, they are very proud of that. Customer complaints are taken very seriously for that very reason.

Prin
May 17th, 2005, 11:26 PM
What do they say-- The squeaky wheel gets the grease? I worked in customer service for a while and it is very true. The good customers get nothing while the moaners get the world.