Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

rabies

jackieb
May 16th, 2005, 11:34 AM
I got a leaflet through about Rabies provection vacinating your dog or pet etc. Anyone have any information they could offer about rabies

I emmigrated from the uk were we had no rabies if you got bit by a animal with rabies would it kill you daft question but i really dont know?

Eleni
May 16th, 2005, 11:38 AM
my vet vaccinates my pets against rabies, he then gives them tags I think if anyone gets bit you have to provide proof your pet is vaccinated against rabies, at least i think, ive always kept the page they give me stating his vaccinated and current

also i bleeive you can only get a license for the dog if you provide proof of vaccination. not sure on that but I always show it.

rabies is very serious, and it exists here in canada, it really is an important vaccination in my opinion. not only for the pets health, but for everyone elses health, if the dog gets rabies and bites someone, that person is then at risk of rabies as well.

Eleni

Lucky Rescue
May 16th, 2005, 11:56 AM
It is the law here that dogs must be vaccinated against rabies at least every 3 years.

Yes, if you get rabies and are not treated, you will die.

Prin
May 16th, 2005, 12:28 PM
And you have to get a tag from the vet that acknowledges that your doggy has had the shot. Make sure they do give the three year one. Some vets here still give a yearly shot.. :rolleyes:

coppperbelle
May 16th, 2005, 12:50 PM
Yes, rabies is a fatal disease if not treated. It can be transmitted through a bite or scratch or saliva of an infected animal. It is recommended that most dogs and cats are vaccinated against this disease however some people do not see the importance nor is it the law everywhere.
If your dog bites someone you will be asked to show proof of a current vaccination. If you do not have proof, your animal will probably be confiscated and euthanized so that its brain can be checked for evidence of the disease.
If someone is bitten by an animal and the animal is rabid the person will be given a series of shots.
Most often wild animals (raccoons, fox etc...)are the carriers so it very important not to encourage them by feeding them or leaving garbage out.

Hope this helps.

mesaana
May 16th, 2005, 12:59 PM
If your dog bites someone you will be asked to show proof of a current vaccination. If you do not have proof, your animal will probably be confiscated and euthanized so that its brain can be checked for evidence of the disease.

Actually, Coppperbelle, even if your animal is not vaccinated and bites someone, this is what happens:

"Evaluation, isolation and observation for the period of 10 days of all available dogs, cats or ferrets that bite a human." (from CFIA website)

If the animal is euthanized within the 10 days, then yes, the brain has to be tested for rabies.

Lyne

coppperbelle
May 16th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Actually, Coppperbelle, even if your animal is not vaccinated and bites someone, this is what happens:

"Evaluation, isolation and observation for the period of 10 days of all available dogs, cats or ferrets that bite a human." (from CFIA website)

If the animal is euthanized within the 10 days, then yes, the brain has to be tested for rabies.

Lyne

Last year one of my dogs bit someone and I was told that if I didn't have proof.... The bite did occur in the U.S. but both Canada and the U.S. health departments were involved. I received calls from both the day after the bite and 10 days later. It was a terrible experience.

jackieb
May 16th, 2005, 01:05 PM
thanks all

Prin
May 16th, 2005, 01:07 PM
This is a bit off topic but anybody read that rabies kids book about how louis pasteur found the vaccine for rabies? I don't remember what the title was, all I remember is the immune system was a bunch of blue soldiers and the rabies was red soldiers... :)

Beaglemom
May 16th, 2005, 03:08 PM
I just had to add something about rabies. If an animal starts to show symptoms of rabies, then it is most often a lost cause. There is no cure for rabies. You must prevent it by vaccination.

If you suspect that your dog or cat has been bitten by a rabid animal, you must take the animal to the vet immediately to start treatment. The same goes for humans.

Eleni
May 16th, 2005, 03:14 PM
some info on rabies

http://www.responsiblewildlifemanagement.org/rabies.htm

Karin
May 16th, 2005, 06:44 PM
Yes, rabies is a fatal disease if not treated. It can be transmitted through a bite or scratch or saliva of an infected animal. It is recommended that most dogs and cats are vaccinated against this disease however some people do not see the importance nor is it the law everywhere.
If someone is bitten by an animal and the animal is rabid the person will be given a series of shots.
Most often wild animals (raccoons, fox etc...)are the carriers so it very important not to encourage them by feeding them or leaving garbage out.

Hope this helps.

I am adding another method of transmission of this very deadly virus... in 1981 a woman died 3 months after recieving a cornea from a cadaver donor. The donor's cause of death was listed as cardiac arrest. He was 54 years old and a farmer. His body was exhumed and a FRA test done...positive.
People and animals do not die from the rabies virus itself, you die from the symptoms.
Just recently a 14 year old girl in Wisconsin survived rabies. This case was documented, 2 other cases over 75 years ago are not.
I use to work in this field, this evil disease, one of the oldest ones, is nothing to mess with. I was directly exposed by bites twice when I worked for Rabies & Animal control...you feel the clock ticking.
Quarrentine for non- vaccinated animals here is 180 days, 6 months.
Get the vaccination.
The UK is rabies free, along with New Zealand and Austrialia.

Karin
May 16th, 2005, 06:57 PM
I just had to add something about rabies. If an animal starts to show symptoms of rabies, then it is most often a lost cause. There is no cure for rabies. You must prevent it by vaccination.

If you suspect that your dog or cat has been bitten by a rabid animal, you must take the animal to the vet immediately to start treatment. The same goes for humans.

There is no treatment for rabies. Protocol is to revaccinate immediatly to boost immunity in already vaccinated pets exposed and quarrentine.

For humans, if exposed to a rabid animal, a series of the HDCV is started right away. These are not as painful as the former rabies vaccine used long ago. (cultured from duck egg embryos). HDCV is given in the arm, redness and local swelling can be expected. The painful part is the price...it's up to over $1400.00 per injection...and 6 are usually recommended.

When the Human Diploid Cell Vaccine first came out I was the first in the state to get the series. Back then they cost roughly $ 200. per injection.
My employer paid for them...recommended boosters every 2 years.

jackieb
May 17th, 2005, 06:46 AM
thanks its quite scary really i never knew it was in Canada and America we were rabies free in the UK.

happycats
May 17th, 2005, 07:20 AM
I have heard theat some people have died from the treatment, alergic reaction!!

kandy
May 17th, 2005, 06:11 PM
Although I have only heard of a couple of cases of rabies in my state (Wyoming), I would not take any chances with my babies. Since we spend a lot of time at a lake really close to our town, I have always made sure that I keep all my babies vaccinations up to date, including the rabies. There are bats at the lake and also porcipines (although I don't know if they carry rabies or not). Last year my corgi x (RIP :sad: ) got stuck by a porcipine. They do boosters once a year for rabies here. You can't get your yearly dog tag without the receipt for the shot.

Karin
May 17th, 2005, 07:12 PM
I have heard theat some people have died from the treatment, alergic reaction!!

Very rare, but it has happened. More people died from the former vaccine, so many people are allergic to eggs. These injections were given in abdomen and numbered 24 to 28, depending on the exposure.

The HDCV was developed in Sweden. Using human cells to culture the vaccine offers less risk of an allergic reaction.