Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

stress!

Eleni
May 16th, 2005, 10:17 AM
I meet with the developmental pediatrition that will be acessing Issac tomorrow.

why am I so stressed over this.

im bringing all the copies of his past acessments with me, but i cant settle at all, ive been pacing all day just genreally nervous.

I know not much will come of tomorrows appointment, shes just taking his medical history and going over my concerns and letting me know what happens now.

this is the hardest part of trying to get Issac diagnosed, all the waiting and worry that goes along with it.

all my family agrees with me about my concerns with Issac but I keep worrying like maybe hes fine and just slower then his sister, and such.

ugh I need a vacation!! heh

I think it will be less stressful when a doctor finally confirms that Issac does indeed need help.

Right now the only thing anyone has ever confirmed is that hes got autistic tendancies and hes delayed in expressive and receptive speach by a year or more.

so im sure my concern is warrented and im not loosing my mind.

Im ranting now, but as you can tell all of this is weighing quite heavily on my mind today.

Eleni

Princesss04
May 16th, 2005, 10:26 AM
Eleni, you have every right to be worried this is your baby! You are a wonderful mom! Please lets us know what they say! You will be in my thoughts and prayers today! :D Hang in there! :D :grouphug:

Eleni
May 16th, 2005, 01:09 PM
thanks,

my father in law is taking me there tomorrow for the appointment,

not sure why im so nervous but luckily ive got alot of housework done, nervous energy isnt ALWAYS a bad thing hehe

I think part of it is I dred the day AND look forward to the day they tell me what is wrong with Issac and what to do for him.

i dred it because every mom wants her baby to be perfect. But I look forward to it because its stressful sitting in limbo like this, and im ready to move on with helping him and accepting things the way they are, good or bad.

Eleni

CyberKitten
May 16th, 2005, 01:16 PM
I agree that not knowing is worse than knowing and my thoughts will be with you tomorrow!! I hope the news is better than you think - and take a deep breath and give yourself a break. You are a great mom by the sound of it!

Cactus Flower
May 16th, 2005, 01:16 PM
Of course you are stressed. This is your child, and there is no greater emotional investment on earth.

Being passed along and not having his condition "confirmed" is so frustrating. I personally would feel like I'm not being taken seriously, or they think I am a crackpot or overreacting, etc- when my child's health is on the line. He's not getting help until he gets the diagnosis. ALL very understandable stress-factors!

My heart goes out to you both! Hang in there, Eleni. We are praying that Isaac gets help ASAP. And that you get to breathe easy, as well.

Luvmypit
May 16th, 2005, 01:21 PM
Eleni I wish you and your little one luck.

You must feel stressed any good parent would!

Take some time for yourself you need it adn deserve it. Once you go and finish your appointment just rememeber its one more step to clarity.

kandy
May 16th, 2005, 04:36 PM
Best wishes to you and Isaac. I would be worried too - but at least you should finally get a diagnosis. Let us know what they say! :grouphug:

chico2
May 16th, 2005, 04:48 PM
Eleni,you are perfectly normal to worry,I had two sick kids,one was diagnosed as being"slow"he was also epileptic.
It's very upsetting,but you do what you have to do,my son turned out to be anything but"slow"and is now a wonderful,caring sweet man.
I don't know much about autism,but I am sure it's more than a bit"slow"but you will prevail,it's amazing how we through our love for our kids somehow handle anything that comes along.
You and Isaac will be fine,but I am hoping for the best of news and please don't despair,whatever they say is wrong with Isaac,if anything.Some kids are just naturally slower than others. :love:

Eleni
May 17th, 2005, 09:46 AM
im off in about an hour,

I feel stressed still but talked to my mum this morning and feel a little better,

i think things like this build up eh? its been going on a bit more then a year, and thats a long time to stress.

im sure we arent going to be finished with this in the near future, but every step is a step closer, just at some point the stress of it all catches up with ya, and you gotta step back and take a few deep breaths.

I dont want my son to be delayed but right now its the reality we face. Im jsut focused on getting the help he needs, and doing the best i can

Im hopeful about this new doctor, she seems very thourough. and understanding, much more so then the first doctor who started the evaluation process.

ill post an update when we get back!

Eleni

Luvmypit
May 17th, 2005, 10:57 AM
Sending good vibes and prayers!! Good luck

Blaze01
May 17th, 2005, 11:49 AM
My prayers are with you.

Eleni
May 18th, 2005, 05:12 AM
the Developmental Ped. thinks that its autism, she cant really diagnose it till she sees him next week.

but she already put in the phone calles to get him screened at the Hotel Dieu's autism screening unit.

she basically said if tis not Autism its a significant delay that needs immediate and ongoing help. and that he will most likely not be ready for mainstream Kindergarten.

so basically she confirmed what we thought. Hopefully next week we will get the "official" diagnoses.

from now tho we just need to decide where to go from here

Eleni

Sneaky2006
May 18th, 2005, 06:12 AM
I'm sorry you're having a tough time Eleni :( I'm glad you now know what this is and you can get him some help, and you too! I would look into a support group, they may have some useful information or tips that docs don't go into.
Good luck to you and your baby!

Eleni
May 18th, 2005, 12:15 PM
CyberKitten, this ones for you, ever hear of IBI?

that seems to be the therapy the ped has in mind for Issac

Eleni

Cactus Flower
May 18th, 2005, 08:38 PM
I Googled IBI therapy for autism, and it sounds very interesting!

I am sorry for your troubles, but I'm glad you are finally getting the direction you need to get your son some help.

twinmommy
May 18th, 2005, 08:53 PM
Eleni--So sorry that you have to go through this. CK will give you a wealth of information, she's very wise.

It seems that you are in good hands and are being put through the proper channels to help Issac.

I wish I could tell you more to help you, well, feel free to vent here anytime. :grouphug: