Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Oh no- what have I done?

Cactus Flower
May 16th, 2005, 02:43 AM
So today I was watching Chloe pant in the hot desert heat. And I got to thinking to myself, "This isn't fair. You are the first to complain about people who keep cold-weather breeds in this area (Malamutes, etc) to suffer in the heat- yet you forget that your dog is one of them".

I set my mind to making Chloe as comfortable as possible in this climate.

I really had good intentions, I swear.

Inside, I looked at my haircutting kit. Those clippers can't be any different than what they use at the dog groomers, right? (WRONG, but I really didn't know).

I called Chloe in. The poor little trusting soul just looked at me, earnestly, as I put the clippers to her coat. My son walked in, further encouraging this insanity, saying "Good idea, Mom, she'll be so much cooler". Yeah.

So I was clipping away in one spot. Chloe's thick thick undercoat was not budging. The clippers groaned and complained. So far I'd only succeeded at leaving a choppy patch of uneven fur all over her back. "Now", I thought, "I HAVE to continue, as I can't leave her like THIS". I knew I was getting in over my head. The clippers REALLY weren't working well.

But I clipped. I found that they worked better if I could get UNDER the undercoat. So I clipped and clipped and clipped underneath. My confidence was coming back, as I sat in a huge pile of fur. I thought "Ha! Dog groomers are overpaid! This is getting to be a breeze!". I left her legs and feet, figuring I'd do them last, as they were the most difficult.

Under the undercoat wasn't such a great idea, I realized. I was an hour into it, and Chloe was now half BALD. Way too short. Sure, the clippers were finally cutting through it, but that's because UNDER the undercoat there is really NO FUR.

I was really feeling my haircolor at that moment, believe me.

But now I really CAN'T stop and leave her like that! I called every dog groomer in the phone book, hoping that they could turn this fiasco into something acceptable-looking. Closed. It's Sunday.

I finished Chloe's body, leaving a tuft on her tail. She looked like a science experiment gone wrong. I didn't know what to do with her face. I started shaving it, but that's when her patience ran out. Completely. I can't say I blame her.

So now I have a shaved dog with a poofy tail, hairy feet and a HALF bald face. I don't know how she'll ever forgive me.

Perhaps mercifully- my digital camera is out of batteries. That's ok. I probably would not want to post a picture of her anyway. I think I'd hear the laughter all the way down here in New Mexico.

But....she's cooler. There's always that, I keep telling myself (and her). She's cooler.

Hug your dog groomer today. They are artists. Magicians.

Cinnabear
May 16th, 2005, 02:49 AM
LOL. Sometimes it takes me 2 or 3 days to finish shaving my dog. Just think the hair will grow back. :D She's probably giving tons of kisses now. No grudges on their part.

Daisy's Owner
May 16th, 2005, 06:23 AM
Your poor kitty. Her hair will grow back. I am sure she is much cooler now. I can well imagine how stressing that was for you, but I really can't help but chuckle.

Do cats suffer humiliation if their bad hair day pics are shown on the internet? **hint** **hint**

Sneaky2006
May 16th, 2005, 07:04 AM
Awww!! Poor Chloe! All that matters is that she is cooler... I'm sure she won't hold it against you... although Raj is probably laughing at her! :p

Eleni
May 16th, 2005, 07:12 AM
im glad you posted this, the thought was running thru my head to shave sam down hehe

I thought to myself it doesnt look that hard when teh groomer does it,

think ill take him to the groomer after all hehe

Eleni

wjranch
May 16th, 2005, 07:42 AM
My poor shep/dobe mix Sky has a really thick undercoat and because it was a particularly hot summer, I thought I'd be oooohh so nice to her and shave off all the hair. LOL It was quite the scene I can say that! And she was VERY embarassed afterward, she wouldn't come out and meet friends who dropped in, and when i put her outdoors she would head to the woods and hide out... ;) (yes, back then on a remote 100 acre farm I let her run free)

However, since that fiasco, if I ever feel the need to make her more comfortable, we have a very nice groomer man name Micheal who takes care of her for me :D She still gets embarassed, but is much cooler in the broiling summer heat.

Princesss04
May 16th, 2005, 10:26 AM
Poor Chole! I am sure she is much cooler and I am sure she is still cute! She is cute no matter what! Just watch that she does not burn now. Raja if mom yells for you and has those clippers RUN! :eek: :eek: :D

SnowDancer
May 16th, 2005, 10:36 AM
I have been advised not to shave my American Eskimo as the double coat acts as an insulator against the heat. There are Eskies in Texas etc. who after being shaved apparently suffered more from heat than those who were not. Good thing to, because a shaved Eskie would not be a pretty sight - except to bet a better idea of how much fat is under that coat. Besides Toronto weather seems to be 11 months of winter. Hope the fur grows back nicely and quickly.

goldenblaze
May 16th, 2005, 11:11 AM
I was also told not to shave a long hair dog like Goldens, must be very careful about sun burns. As for hugging your groomer I agree. I have always paid to have my dogs groomed I would never try it myself and my groomer is a sweet loving lady that loves the dogs and knows what she is doing and does a great job.

You will know better for next time... don't worry too much it will grow back. :thumbs up

Lizzie
May 16th, 2005, 11:38 AM
I would have liked to have seen pictures of this one! I'm sure it could be a lesson learned for many who *think* they can do it!!!

I wouldn't worry about it though....life happens! :thumbs up

Prin
May 16th, 2005, 12:26 PM
Wait till it grows back in patches... She's not a poodle-- poodle hair grows. Other dogs' hair gets replaced. And not at all evenly...

Just beware of the sunburn... And I too have heard that the fur is insulation but I draw my limits at black dogs. The air inside the fur is HOT. White dogs might have a better chance at having cooler air in the fur... :confused:

goldenblaze
May 16th, 2005, 12:47 PM
Wait till it grows back in patches... She's not a poodle-- poodle hair grows. Other dogs' hair gets replaced. And not at all evenly...:

This is true, the golden across the street from me has been shaved and now his hair is in patches... another reason I would never shave Blaze.I love his long hair, beautiful coat

CyberKitten
May 16th, 2005, 02:07 PM
Yep, sadly, cats are at risk for sunburn especially light coloured or white cats. The thick hair helps protect Himmys but Siamese for ex need to be careful in the sun!! and well, Sphynx, never mind, lol

Sorry about your accident - maybe some groomer can help!

Cactus Flower
May 16th, 2005, 02:19 PM
LOL. Chloe is all DOG. She's a Finnish Spitz.

Just because she LOOKS like a cat that has gotten the bad end of a catfight now doesn't change that, lol.

The sunscreen is a great idea.

I still have trouble believing that a dog with ten pounds of fur won't be cooler having 9 less pounds of it, in this desert heat. But I didn't mean to shave her so closely. What she has now is just basically furry skin. Waaay too short :o . The good news is, she seems very comfortable and isn't panting.

I thought she'd object to the sunscreen, but it seems as long as it isn't clippers, she's ok with anything right now :D .

Thanks for your comments, everyone.

CyberKitten
May 16th, 2005, 04:08 PM
Ohhhhh, not sure why I was thinking kitty!! I actually bet she was cooler tho! I wish I had your weather - it is freezing here in Atlantic Canada - not sure where spring went!!

BEAR_NZ
May 16th, 2005, 04:24 PM
You had your heart in the right place!!! and the beauty of hair is that it grows back. Chloe may look mighty funny around about now, but i bet she is feeling relieved.... she won't care that she has a crew cut, she will just feel light!!!!!!!!!!all over. :D

Prin
May 16th, 2005, 04:30 PM
By the way, I don't believe there is much of a difference in the razors they use on dogs and human buzzcut razors... Most of them are made by the same company anyway...

Just watch out for the razor overheating as it can burn the skin...

(My man wants to do Jemma's fur too-- he's been bugging me for 2 summers but I can't do it. I think the darker furred ones are better off shaved but my baby is so pretty, I wouldn't want to mess with that... :) )

nymph
May 16th, 2005, 04:33 PM
http://bestsmileys.com/lol/22.gif

You can't leave us hanging like this, I demand a picture!

p.s. I probably shouldn't laugh this hard, but I couldn't help myself picturing a Finnish Spitz with a poofy tail, hairy feet and a HALF bald face...OMG you are killing me. http://bestsmileys.com/lol/1.gif

Shamrock
May 16th, 2005, 04:44 PM
Awww,lol... Cactus Flower dont worry - That's the great thing about our pets - so all-forgiving! Trying giving a bad haircut to a person or leaving them with a half-shaved face. ;) Chloe's fur will grow back... and she must feel nice and cool. That was your idea after all.
Just dont let her look in any mirrors. ;) I DO have to kind of smile .. visualizing her..
I actually thought your story was going in a different direction, involving a nick with the clippers.
I was trying to remove a matt out of my cat's fur once, (with scissors)... and cut a big gaping hole in her. Their skin is sooooo delicate, and yet.. oddly - she barely flinched. I thought I'd just nicked her at first,till I looked. Oh-my-god.
I felt ill, :sick: and stricken with guilt. What had I done? I rushed her to the vet - where they just taped it up.
I felt like Lizzie Borden. Would she ever forgive me? An hour after we got back home... there she was, purring at my side.
Now,if I cant it be gently combed out, or removed by hand, its off to the groomers. My eyesight isnt what it once was, apparently... :sad:

kandy
May 16th, 2005, 05:21 PM
OMG! LMAO!! I can just picture poor Chloe!! It reminds me of a time when my son was young, and my husband thought that he would save a few bucks by giving him a buzz cut at home. Good idea, but the only shaver we had at that time was really old and didn't have any of the nifty guide things. Let's just say that we had to shave my son's head bald it looked so bad. At least Chloe can't yell at you when she looks in the mirror! :D

I had also thought about shaving Lacey last summer, but then decided against it. I'm glad I did. For Hazel, I've already ordered two of the 'cool mat' things - one for home and one for the camper!

melanie
May 16th, 2005, 06:12 PM
bahahahahah that is jsut so funny, charlie sends chole a sympathetic look, she knows what it is like the have an over enthusiastic owner :p :p .

well that made me laugh so much , jsut too funny. thanks for adding that to my morn :D

Cactus Flower
May 16th, 2005, 07:53 PM
LOL you all are cracking me up. Stay away from mirrors, indeed!
And yes, it is amazing how forgiving they are.

Kandy- can you tell me more about the "cool mat"? Sounds interesting. If it is actually a mat that stays cool, I need to order one for both my babies. Where do you get them?

Prin- you are absolutely right. The clippers DID get hot. We kept taking a break to let them cool down. That's why it took four hours lol.

Ok, Nymph, I'll see if I can't pull the batteries out of my caller I.D or something, and get just enough juice in the camera to take a picture.

But please everyone, remember how supportive you were of me, and the sweet forgiving comments you made BEFORE you look at the picture!

Cactus Flower
May 16th, 2005, 08:29 PM
First, please allow me to post a "before" picture. Now, mind you, she was just starting to shed in this picture, and needed a good brushing. You can see that she is a bit "tufty". But still.......

Cactus Flower
May 16th, 2005, 08:35 PM
Oops, sorry that picture was so big. I'll try to do better with the "after".

Ok, folks.......just remember......I MEANT WELL.......

happycats
May 16th, 2005, 08:37 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Looks like one of those chinese crested dogs :eek:

Lizzie
May 16th, 2005, 08:45 PM
Oh my!!! Poor girl!!!! She needs a little t-shirt with a cute slogan...perhaps big block letters that say "SHE MEANT WELL!" hehehe!

I'm sure she'll get over it. We all need a new do every now and then! :D :thumbs up

Cactus Flower
May 16th, 2005, 08:48 PM
She needs a little t-shirt with a cute slogan...perhaps big block letters that say "SHE MEANT WELL!" hehehe

LAUGHING MY FOOL HEAD OFF HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Daisy's Owner
May 16th, 2005, 08:51 PM
I'd like to be forgiven for thinking she was a kitty too. oops. sorry. In my defence it was 7:30 in the morning. :rolleyes:

LOL! Thanks for the pics. She doesn't look thaaaaaaat bad.

Cactus Flower
May 16th, 2005, 09:09 PM
No hard feelings on the "kitty" comment.

But "not that bad"? Perhaps a close-up will help clarify things :o :

Lucky Rescue
May 16th, 2005, 09:12 PM
Heeeheeeheeee!!!!!!! Poor baby - looks like she lost an arguement with the weed whacker.

The wonderful thing about dogs is that they are so forgiving - lucky for you they are!! :p

happycats
May 16th, 2005, 09:22 PM
OMG she looks like Yoda :eek: Poor girl! Mommy I think you had to much time on your hands today!!http://bestsmileys.com/lol/17.gif

mona_b
May 16th, 2005, 09:35 PM
ROTFLMFAO

I'm sorry,but that is just so funny.What ever you do,do NOT put her in front of a mirror....... :D

I had to shave my previous cat when he was about 11.He would get all matted no matter how much brushing I did.Well when he got shaved and I picked him up from the vets,Mousie actually clung to the Tech..When I got him home,he wanted no part of me for about a week.... :sad:

Cactus Flower
May 16th, 2005, 09:51 PM
LOL I know, I know- guilty as charged! We are trying so hard not to laugh out loud at her today. Yesterday I just felt terrible for having messed up so badly, I couldn't even laugh. But today I am definitely seeing the humor in it. My poor lil naked doggy......she looks like she is wearing a Chloe mask.

But......her nails look very pretty.....

Sneaky2006
May 16th, 2005, 10:04 PM
she looks like she is wearing a Chloe mask!!!! I can't even type. :p

Princesss04
May 16th, 2005, 11:04 PM
CF I was determined I was not going to laugh! Sorry I did, :D I did not think she would have no hair. She is still so sweet and cute! It does look like she is wearing a mask saying please mom do not let them realize it was me. :eek: Just kidding. You are fine I am sure she is alot cooler. :D :cool: :cool: :cool:

Safyre
May 16th, 2005, 11:50 PM
I joined this thread just now, getting to read all commenst THEN see the pic!
I LOVE Finnish Spitz... but WOW, they are not soo cute when shaved.

I have heard that the undercoat is protection against the sun too and not to shave it. Oh well, lesson learned, give her tons of treats (and lots of sun screen)

krdahmer
May 17th, 2005, 12:11 AM
AWWW....LOL

Even with a bad haircut, what a sweet face... you can just tell she's being a good sport!
In that last picture she has a look of "just remember this moment next time I screw up!"

I think she gets a few get out of jail free cards for that one! ;) :love:

Jackie467
May 17th, 2005, 12:18 AM
awwwww poor baby. I was determined not to laugh but I just couldn't help it. don't worry I'v never shaved an animal but i'v done some pretty stupid stuff so don't feel bad. once when my best friend was about 5 she tied her cat to the table and cut all the wiskers off one side before she was caught. Then her mom told her that now kitty couldn't use them and she needed them, my best friend cried for like two days after that she felt so bad. But kitty still loved her, they are so forgiving. I know i'm very protective of my hair, I don't think I would be so forgiving lol.

Cactus Flower
May 17th, 2005, 01:00 AM
Ok, I did a search on the pros and cons of shaving dogs. I found a few sites where vets, etc. have an opinion on this. I have seen some that say it is a bad idea (usually breeders), but the majority say it's perfectly ok IF YOU DON'T SHAVE DOWN TO THE SKIN. Well I've already blown that lol. They say to leave an inch of fur.
And you'll be glad to know that ALL of them gave me the same advice you all did about wearing sunscreen! You people are really on the ball!

Here are some quotes from what I've read. I'll paste the links at the bottom so you know I'm not making it up :D . But I know that anyone can find quotes from the internet to support any argument (and either side). I'm just tossing this out there to say that maybe it's not so horrible, after all?

shaving your dog's hair to 1 inch in length, will help prevent overheating. Do not shave a dog's hair down to the skin, this robs him of protection from the sun.

I am squarely on the side of shaving long haired dogs down in the summer. I think that dogs feel better and are less likely to have skin disease when long hair coats are shaved in warm climates. I do not know if it helps them stay cool, or not. In theory, since dogs don't sweat, there shouldn't be a lot of effect either way on heat dissipation.-----Mike Richards, DVM

Long coats hold in body heat

http://www.qcawc.org/helpfulhints.html
http://www.vetinfo4dogs.com/dhair.html#Shaving%20long%20haired%20dogs%20for%20 warm%20weather
http://www.doginfomat.com/springsummer.htm

Thanks again for caring, everyone!

Prin
May 17th, 2005, 02:01 AM
"Mommy do you think I am as beautiful as Raj?"

"yes I do.. But... it's just uneven here.... level that out... oh now this side is uneven..."
:)

Cactus Flower
May 17th, 2005, 03:03 AM
Baaaaaahahahahaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

Cinnabear
May 17th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Oh Cactus Flower, I didn't think she would look like that. :D You definately got carried away with the shears. LOL. Is she talking to you yet? Raj must be just howling at her and running away when he sees you. :D You made my day Cactus Flower. ROFL. :p

kandy
May 17th, 2005, 06:26 PM
Thanks for posting the pictures - although my coworkers across the hall probably think I just had a nervous breakdown or something! *As I am still snorting and almost peed my pants!*

CactusFlower: I sent you a pm about the cool mats.

BEAR_NZ
May 18th, 2005, 04:37 AM
hahahahahahahahahaha!!!! can you hear me laughing all the way down here in New Zealand??!!!! CF that pic of Chloe made me split my sides laughing yesterday...I am sore today...it is the funniest thing that i have seen in ages. Chloe's expression on her face says it all!!!!!!She looks like a real "dudess"! :D :D

nymph
May 18th, 2005, 02:28 PM
Oops, sorry that picture was so big. I'll try to do better with the "after".

Ok, folks.......just remember......I MEANT WELL.......

hahahahahahaha...I was laughing so hard that my colleagues thought I won lottery! http://bestsmileys.com/lol/7.gif http://bestsmileys.com/lol/14.gif

Shamrock
May 18th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Oh my! eek.

"Chloe, thats a new look for you, isnt it?"

"Yes it is. I call it the Chinese-Crested-Spitz cut. I feel very sleek,and quite the trendsetter.

I'm not sure why I am getting some strange looks - and why my mom's new mantra is... "I meant well...I meant well"..... :D

Luvmypit
May 18th, 2005, 03:44 PM
Ohhhhh cactus flower! Honestly people always have to ask when Im watching a movie if I think its funny even though I do but hardley crack even a smile.

This made me cry out in laughter.. I guess I didn't expect to see chloe the wonder dog (mask).

It was funny and I wouldn't worry it will grow back before you know it and all though not so funny at the time over time will be a good story and pic to show people.....
The before and after.... priceless....

Even though they say I don't know if the dog is cooler or not.... well I can assure Chloe is.
I know when my border collie max (RIP) would get shaved in the summer (ofcourse not that much :p ) it would take longer to get him panting. Its got to be cooler.
You never know chloe might think your great for doing it...

Cactus Flower
May 18th, 2005, 09:25 PM
Well if laughter is truly good for your health, this thread has been good for me, too. I've been bursting out laughing at many of your comments- my son has been reading over my shoulder and doing the same, and it sure has helped me feel better about this whole ordeal.

Thank you so much for that!

Chloe has picked up some new nicknames lately...."Chloe the stripper", "Nudie Cutie", and "BUFFie".

Prin
May 29th, 2005, 01:32 AM
HEY!! We can't let this thread die, can we? It's one of the funniest on here. :)

Cactus Flower
May 29th, 2005, 01:51 AM
LOL.

Chloe's fur is actually growing back in already. No more sunscreen needed!
She looks a little more .....normal now, too.

We noticed the other day that I didn't get the fur in the armpit area. So she still looks like she has really hairy armpits lol. Ah, the rest will catch up, though.

Prin
May 29th, 2005, 01:55 AM
LOL, not only is she humiliated, she's not lady-like either? :)

doggy lover
May 29th, 2005, 01:30 PM
OMG I laughed so hard I cried. Poor little darling, at least it grows back. Have you ever thought of taking up hairdressing? LOL I wonder what Tucker would look like shaved?

Writing4Fun
May 29th, 2005, 01:43 PM
LOL, not only is she humiliated, she's not lady-like either? :)
Maybe she's European? :D

Cactus Flower
May 29th, 2005, 03:13 PM
Haaaahahaaaaaa! She's FINNISH. Maybe that would explain the hairy armpits....

Actually, I used to BE a hairdresser. I guess that is a far cry from a dog groomer.

I talked to a dog groomer recently, and they told me that dog clippers ARE different- the blades are different. They cut through undercoat/fur like it's nothing.

As soon as she grows out a little bit more, I'm going to have that groomer even her up a bit. Right now it's just nice to have a little fur all over her, instead of fuzzy skin.

Shamrock
May 29th, 2005, 03:18 PM
Aww, glad to hear that Chloe's fur is growing out nicely... and willl soon catch up with her armpits. :)
Cactus Flower....I have to ask, my curiosity has the best of me...
What does your signature mean? :confused:

Cactus Flower
May 29th, 2005, 03:44 PM
It means: "It is better to suffer an injustice than to commit an injustice".

I LOVE Latin!
But nobody teaches it anymore :mad: .

Sneaky2006
May 29th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Had to revisit this thread and have another look at the Chloe mask... still makes me giggle. :D

Loraxp
May 29th, 2005, 06:31 PM
Hey Cactus,

I'm a professional groomer and here is the deal with pet clippers...
Pet clippers are able to switch blades for different desired lengths (not just by changing plastic combs - I rarely ever use those things). There are MANY different types of blades that fall into 2 categories - "Finishing" and "Skip-tooth". For stripping dogs with heavy undercoats skip-tooths are used.

Congrats for getting her as even as you did... though I guess once you hit skin you really can't go much further... heehee... (sorry, lol - couldn't resist!). It REALLY is NOT that bad - I've seen WAY WORSE home done jobs. If you want to contine grooming her yourself I can give you a few tips and hints, and tell you where to pick up a good quality/priced clipper.

If you have any more q's don't hesitate to ask!

Cactus Flower
May 29th, 2005, 06:58 PM
LOL Sneaky!

Wow Loraxp, thanks very much! I wish I'd known to ask you before I ever took out those clippers!

mafiaprincess
May 29th, 2005, 07:15 PM
Also, cheaper clippers generally aren't made for thick coats, just minor trimming, they burn out too fast. I've been told by a few people who have used human clippers on their dog that the motor wasn't strong enough and they either started to burn out and struggle, or outright die before the dog was done.

Loraxp
May 29th, 2005, 09:00 PM
Just showed my husband the pics - he is giggling like a little girl - heehee!!

Perhaps I'll do up a large-size print of Chloe and post it above my grooming table... see if anyone complains about their groom EVER AGAIN! :crazy:

Prin
May 29th, 2005, 09:04 PM
Tell the crabby customers that this job was your best work... :)

Prin
May 29th, 2005, 11:23 PM
OMG!!! LOL LOL LOL I didn't see the second picture of her face closer up!! It's so funny!!! I guess it somehow never loaded the other times I looked at the thread... I finally get the jokes about the "Chloe mask". :)

I think we NEED an updated pic... :thumbs up

Cactus Flower
May 30th, 2005, 12:14 AM
Feel free to use those pics as an example of what happens when you DON'T go to a groomer :D .