Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Stopping pee accidents

Dahlia
May 15th, 2005, 06:25 PM
For the most part, Sophie is housetrained, and I am home all day so I take her out OFTEN. I recently noticed that the house smells like pee so I went around and cleaned up all the spots, used a blacklight, etc... She is only allowed in the living room/dining room/entryway area of the house, and I have recently blocked off the dining room too. There weren't many pee spots that I could find, but she still pees inside on occasion. This morning she did it right after we got in from being outside for probably 20 minutes. And she had already peed outside. Is she marking her territory? I'm thinking maybe she's trying to replenish the pee smell that I removed. What can I do to get her to stop peeing in here? I'm considering leashing her to me so that she can't sneak off and pee, because I really don't think she'll pee on the floor if she has to stay right next to me, since she knows she is supposed to go outside. She hasn't pooped in the house for almost a month, so I think we're good there. Is a good approach?

Lucky Rescue
May 15th, 2005, 07:00 PM
Hounds can be difficult in the housetraining department. The idea of leashing her to you is a good one. What she seems to have learned is that it's o.k. to pee in the house if you can't see her, so I would say you are giving her too much freedom too soon if she is doing this.

You should also confine her to a small area like a bathroom if you can't watch her. Put her bed and toys in there so she won't want to soil the area.

Dahlia
May 15th, 2005, 07:14 PM
I keep her crated when we're not home and at night. She doesn't mind it anymore and she doesn't soil her crate, even if I'm gone longer than I expected. During the day I keep her in the room with me and *try* to watch her, but with a 9 month old son, there are lapses. She will sneak off when I'm not looking and if I happen to look over and catch her peeing she looks totally guilty, so she definitely knows it's not the thing to do. Usually she does it when I'm in the bathroom or changing the baby, or feeding him, etc. Just as I'm coming back into the living room she's finishing up, lol. And it's not all the time or every day or anything. Just once in a while. Thanks, I will try the leash thing. I really think she's doing great for her age - and especially since everyone says hounds are hard to house train. My dad says it's darn near impossible sometimes.

Karin
May 15th, 2005, 08:44 PM
I am sure you have already ruled out any medical reason for her behavior by now..and hounds can be hard headed, sounds like a refresher in housetraining is in order. You have a lot on your plate to deal with every day, being consistent on peeing rules are importent if successful housebreaking is the goal. You need to match her stubborn attitude with an equally persistent one.
Have you tried using vinegar yet? Never fails.

BEAR_NZ
May 16th, 2005, 03:15 PM
Usually she does it when I'm in the bathroom or changing the baby, or feeding him, etc.

I wonder if she is feeling insecure about the baby sometimes, and gets nervous, goes off to relieve herself? just a thought... pets are so sensitive about their position in the family. Maybe because when you are feeding or changing the baby, she feels left out, shes not getting your attention at the time...by peeing etc she knows that you will pay her attention.

Dahlia
May 17th, 2005, 06:51 AM
Usually she does it when I'm in the bathroom or changing the baby, or feeding him, etc.

I wonder if she is feeling insecure about the baby sometimes, and gets nervous, goes off to relieve herself? just a thought... pets are so sensitive about their position in the family. Maybe because when you are feeding or changing the baby, she feels left out, shes not getting your attention at the time...by peeing etc she knows that you will pay her attention.I don't know, but she doesn't really get any attention for peeing, because I usually catch her just as she's walking away from the pee spot. Then I just sort of groan, move her out of the way and clean it up.

BEAR_NZ
May 18th, 2005, 03:15 AM
Hmm its a tricky one... our neighbour has just had her first baby who is now 2 months old, and their dog Sheba has been acting mighty peculiar. She has been doing some pooping and peeing in the house and digging alot of holes in the garden, none of which she did before..... just made me wonder if your sophie is feeling insecure... dogs are such sensitive babies aren't they!!!! :angel:

Dahlia
May 18th, 2005, 06:26 AM
Well, the baby was already here when we got Sophie, and they LOVE each other and play really well together. Last weekend we were having a birthday party for my dad and my older son and there were a lot of people here. I think Sophie was afraid someone would walk off with the baby because as he was crawling around on the floor she kept sitting on him or trying to lay across his back, lol. She's only 4 1/2 mos old so I think she's just not totally housetrained yet and thinks it's okay to pee in the floor if no one's looking.

BEAR_NZ
May 18th, 2005, 03:35 PM
ahhh. she is only 4 and a half months old.... for some reason i thought that she may have been an older dog. oh dahlia, you are going to have your work cut out for you soon! with pee training sophie and toilet training your baby!

Dahlia
May 18th, 2005, 05:24 PM
You got it. Hopefully Sophie will be pee trained by the time I have to start on the baby. He's almost 10 mos old, so I have over a year before I start potty training him. I have been watching her like a hawk today and she hasn't peed in the house once. She did one time yesterday after she ate her lunch. I only let her in the kitchen at meal times and as soon as she finished her food she walked under the table and peed. I had a feeling that's what she was going to do but I couldn't catch her in time. I try to stand right beside her while she's eating and get her out as SOON as she's done, since that's the most predictable time for her to do it.