Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Anybody use Petguard

LabMom
May 15th, 2005, 05:01 PM
Do any of you use Petguard dog food? If so, is it good?

raingirl
May 15th, 2005, 08:44 PM
Here are the ingredients:

Fresh Chicken, Chicken Meal, Ground Whole Brown Rice, Ground Whole Yellow Corn, Oatmeal, Poultry Fat Preserved With Vitamins C and E (Natural Mixed Tocopherols), Whole Eggs, Dried Carrots, Dried Celery, Dried Sweet Potatoes, Sunflower Oil, Ester-C (Source of Vitamin C), Garlic Powder, Dried Kelp, Alfalfa Meal, Monosodium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Vitamin A Acetate, D-Alpha Tocopherol (Source of Vitamin E Supplement), D-Activated Plant Sterol (Source of Vitamin D2), Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Choline Chloride, Inositol, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Source of Vitamin B6), Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Calcium Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Folic Acid, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K), Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Sodium Selenite.

On a whole...not bad. I would be concerned about corn as the 4th major ingredient as dogs cannot digest corn like that.

Prin
May 15th, 2005, 09:08 PM
I agree. I find it weird that they use chicken and then chicken meal. Why not all chicken meal? Strange... Not a terrible food, but the ratios of protein etc will be skewed by the corn. It won't be digested anyway, so they shouldn't use it in the nutrition breakdown.

Also, apparently it's not good to have added animal fat. I don't remember why but the "more natural" foods don't have it.

coppperbelle
May 16th, 2005, 06:15 AM
I would agree that it is not a bad food. I don't like the fact that there is corn and it is way up at the top of the list. Chicken, poultry fat are not great either but all in all a good food.

LabMom
May 16th, 2005, 07:34 AM
Thanks guys